Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ab ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 08:13PM

And this do I call immaculate perception of all things: to want nothing else from them, but to be allowed to lie before them as a mirror with a hundred facets.

What is the greatest experience you can have? It is the hour of the great contempt. The hour when your happiness, too, arouses your disgust, and even your reason and your virtue.
The hour when you say, 'What matters my happiness? It is poverty and filth and wretched contentment. But my happiness ought to justify existence itself.'
The hour when you say, 'What matters my reason? Does it crave knowledge as the lion his food? It is poverty and filth and wretched contentment.'
The hour when you say, 'What matters my virtue? As yet it has not made me rage. How weary I am of my good and my evil! All that is poverty and filth and wretched contentment.'

The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly.

Ready must thou be to burn thyself in thine own flame; how couldst thou become new if thou have not first become ashes!

The Christian resolution to find the world ugly and bad has made the world ugly and bad.
But now science, spurred on by its powerful delusion, hurtles inexorably towards its limits where the optimism hidden in the essence of logic founders. For the periphery of the circle of science has an infinite number of points and while there is no telling yet how the circle could ever be fully surveyed, the noble and gifted man, before he has reached the middle of his life, still inevitably encounters such peripheral limit points and finds himself staring into an impenetrable darkness. If he at that moment sees to his horror how in these limits logic coils around itself and finally bites its own tail - then the new form of knowledge breaks through, tragic knowledge, which in order to be tolerated, needs art as a protection and remedy.

Glance into the world just as though time were gone and everything crooked will become straight to you.

This verse gets me through each day, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger! I am not afraid of anything because the lord is my shepherd!

In the "in-itself" there is nothing of "casual connections", of "necessity," or of "psychological non-freedom"; there the effect does not follow the cause, there is no rule of "law". It is we alone who have devised cause, sequence, for-each-other, relativity, constraint, number, law, freedom, motive, and purpose; and when we project and mix this symbol world into things as if it existed "in itself", we act once more as we have always acted---- mythologicially.
In the end one loves one's desire and not what is desired.
Madness is rare in individuals--but in groups, parties, nations, and ages it is the rule.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything."

Be careful lest, in casting out your demons, you cast out the best thing that is in you.

After coming into contact with a religious man I always feel I must wash my hands.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.

Friedrich Nietzsche (1844 - 1900)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 08:47PM by ab.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 10:46PM

I like to read your posts imagining the voice of Kelsey Grammer (or Sideshow Bob).

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: February 27, 2015 01:06AM

>> And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. <<

I always enjoy your posts ab. Even if I can't always think of something to add, I'm still out here soaking it up.

The other day, your post and Henry Bemis' response made me think, "Why do some people have profound religious experience(s), while others never do?"

But I was worried it might sound smug, so I didn't ask at the time. The question is probably not necessary anyway, if even answerable. The movie 'Contact' touched on this phenomenon (with he interplay between Jodie Foster’s and Matthew McConaughey’s 'religious' experiences.)

Anyway, don’t mind me. Keep 'em coming. :)

Date: February 27, 2015 10:37AM

Thanks my brother. I enjoy your posts and comments.

Date: February 27, 2015 10:34AM

Imagine a introverted deaf-mute discovering a previously unknown articulate brother that writes what was previously inexpressible in the deaf man's heart. I have met so many brothers and yesterday found one more. One more quote from my new brother:

Behind your thoughts and feelings, my brother, there stands a mighty ruler. an unknown sage - whose name is self. In yourt body he dwells; he is your body. There is more reason in your body than in your best wisdom.
Friedrich Nietzsche (1844 - 1900)

Bro Humanistic psychologist Abraham Maslow called achievement of one's potential self-actualization.
Bro Jung named the central archetype the Self. Most of us, lacking consciousness of a living inner center, go one of two ways. Some claim no center and thus their center is whatever thought/emotion currently resides in consciousness. Others project their center into an external being such as Jesus and are thus are lost in idle worship – If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2015 01:54PM by ab.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: February 27, 2015 11:14AM

If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him? Why? Because you project your center onto him and are "thus lost in idle [sic] worship?" Isn't your idol worship your problem, not his? You're going to add murder to your list of sins, besides worshipping false gods? Why not, if you see an ordinary person on the road, rise to greet him from afar as you would the Buddha?

Date: February 27, 2015 01:13PM

You are so right. This saying uses over statement and shock to point out the danger in projecting the self into another human being.

Rumi uses the term Beloved for the Self or Buddha consciousness. He wrote, "Borrow the Beloved's eyes and see the Beloved face everywhere."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.