Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thewhyalumnus ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 01:30PM

http://www.cruiselady.com/cruise-details.cfm?t=229

"Book of Mormon Comes Alive in Mesoamerica
More Cruises: Apr 11 - Apr 18, 2015: Book of Mormon Lands"

"Once the largest Maya ceremonial site in Belize, Lamanai definitely has a name very similar to names in the Book of Mormon."

"The Tulum ruins overlook the ocean and it is one of the most picturesque sites of the Yucatan. Here a local LDS guide will teach us about the site and its relationship to the Book of Mormon peoples."

How do these local places let Mormons insert this fiction on their lands and history?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 01:38PM

It's the "Disneyland" for Mormon adults. They also justify a vacation based on the BoM and can brag about what a spiritual experience it was in gospel doctrine, testimony mtg, facebook...

Posted by: Not Interested in Registering ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 01:41PM

thewhyalumnus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> How do these local places let Mormons insert this
> fiction on their lands and history?

As any former LD$ should know this.

It is all about the money. What country down there wouldn't want nice, gullible, wealthy Americans to come and visit?

Date: February 26, 2015 01:44PM

Not Interested in Registering Wrote:
> thewhyalumnus Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> >
> > How do these local places let Mormons insert
> this
> > fiction on their lands and history?
>
> As any former LD$ should know this.
>
> It is all about the money. What country down
> there wouldn't want nice, gullible, wealthy
> Americans to come and visit?

Good point! Ah, I hate it. My TBM family (which is VERY large) will not stop bombarding me with this type of crap! They believe these fraudulent money makers over anything I even attempt to share with them. Mormons are being bamboozled left and right. So sad.

Posted by: Liz ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 01:52PM

My friend was telling me about her trip there and when she said 'possible sites' I asked her if that was the wording of the tour guide.

"Absolutely", she said. "They aren't sure exactly but it definitely is the place of the Book of Mormon Stories."

I thought to myself 'stories' being the proper word for this money making scheme.

It is mostly older mormon couples who go there to see the sites and have mormon tour guides.

Another friend went with a local tour guide and actually learned the history and amazing facts about the people and the area. Not a whit about mormonism, mormon lands, prophets, etc. because it didn't happen.

Folow the money is right. The tourism business has a great thing going down there with the lds sponsored tours AND tours for the rest of the world.

Truth in advertising doesn't seem to apply, but isn't that par for the course in mormonism?

Posted by: Exdrymo ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 01:57PM

Maybe we'll go to middle earth this year.

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 01:58PM

Yea this really ticks me off, but then again, the people buying into this BS are culpable too... Inlaws went on this exact tour 2 years ago. They literally made one of those 80 page photo books with pics of them and the sites, and then added text so that it was literally like a lesson manual with scripture and their own anecdotes and 'wisdom' from the tours added in. They then had enough books made for each of their children (and their families), gave them to each, and advised us to go through it for family home evenings - passing their 'wisdom' along to all of us.

When we started having religion discussions with them on some of the church issues, they literally started quoting things their tour guide had told them. Makes me wanna puke.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 02:02PM

MONEY, MONEY, and more MONEY.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 02:04PM

This is a sample of the MORmON "scholarship" that promotes the Book of MORmON tours to Central America, featuring MORmON IDIOT scholar Joe "Buddy" Allen = a BYU " PhD ". They get away with this idiocy because they are selling it to MORmONS! Here is another question on the matter: WHY is BYU allowed to maintain its academic accreditation when they promote this kind of idiocy !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BQrl4EZ07Y

Date: February 26, 2015 02:23PM

smirkorama Wrote:
> This is a sample of the MORmON "scholarship" that
> promotes the Book of MORmON tours to Central
> America, featuring MORmON IDIOT scholar Joe
> "Buddy" Allen = a BYU " PhD ". They get away with
> this idiocy because they are selling it to
> MORmONS! Here is another question on the matter:
> WHY is BYU allowed to maintain its academic
> accreditation when they promote this kind of
> idiocy !
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BQrl4EZ07Y

Yep

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 02:08PM

If I were them, I'd shut up....They are bringing the money.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 02:18PM

I do believe that if people will look at the forensic evidence they will find that the time lines just do not match.

However as I tell people "I can accept, in your opinion, that is true".

Try that and watch the reaction!

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 02:33PM

"Once the largest Maya ceremonial site in Belize, Lamanai definitely has a name very similar to names in the Book of Mormon."

For the same reason that in mormonspeak the word "definitely" and "names in the Book of Mormon" are the only necessary operational words in this statement. Everything else is just fluff.

In other words Eureka! Close enough!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 03:10PM

AmIDarkNow? Wrote:
> "Once the largest Maya ceremonial site in Belize,
> Lamanai definitely has a name very similar to
> names in the Book of Mormon."
>
> For the same reason that in mormonspeak the word
> "definitely" and "names in the Book of Mormon"
> are the only necessary operational words in this
> statement. Everything else is just fluff.
>
> In other words Eureka! Close enough!

Yeah, but...we *know* when the Mayans founded that site, and the founding doesn't fit any BoM story. We have the Mayan writing, and none of it matches anything in the BoM, or "Reformed Egyptian." Some Mayan history survives (thank goodness the Spaniards didn't burn all of it), and none of it mentions anything corresponding to the BoM, in fact it clearly refutes any association of any kind.

I spent two weeks in Rome a few years ago. Before going, I dove into Roman history, in order to know what I was looking at when I got there. Don't ANY mormons do the same before these cruises??

Posted by: sunshine ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 02:59PM

A savvy US lawyer should sue them for commercial fraud.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 04:40PM

I'm pretty sure Tulum dates well after the alleged Book of Mormon timeline.

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 08:24PM

All about the Benjamins...

A few years back I went back to New York and saw the Hill Cumorah. I spoke with an elderly couple that told me the property around the hill was owned by a man that charged guillable Mormons to look at a " mysterious stone box" that had contained the Golden Plates. A wonderful hamburger joint that sold fantastic cheeseburgers was giving discounts the the missionaries to every Mormon from the Hill Cumorah they referred to their place... I asked the owner how many Mos left BoM's as a tip, he opened a drwaer full..

They get away with it because they bring in a lot of money to an impoverished region... No brainer.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 09:46PM

10-15 years ago, on the alt.religion.mormon forum, a TBM apologist named Charles Dowis used to cite "Lamanai" as "Book of Mormon evidence," until someone pointed out these facts:

"Lamanai (from Lama'anayin, "submerged crocodile" in Yucatec Maya..."

Since the name means "submerged crocodile" in the local Mayan dialect, it couldn't possible refer to the "Laman" in the BOM.

Also:

"Lamanai was occupied as early as the 16th century BC."

For those of you doing the math, that's 1000 years before "Laman" came to the "promised land."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamanai

Conclusion: the "Lamanai" site has no relation to the Book of Mormon. If any Mormon tour guides claim that it does, they're ignorant.

Posted by: Just Passing Through ( )
Date: February 27, 2015 11:15AM

I knew Charles Dowis 20 years ago (same ward), I doubt the facts had very little effect. The bishop and SP both had meetings with him to try and have him cool it a bit. I heard that from both him and the bishop.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: February 27, 2015 10:13AM

Correct me if I seem illogical here:

In order for the BOM lands to be in Central America, Joe Smith would have been known as Jose Smith and would have had his 'Primera Vision' in a jungle in Guatemala or Honduras or ?

Have any of these 'tour guides' shown 'Hill Cumorah' to the tourists?

I visited Chichen Itza a few years back with an expert guide.
He never once mentioned the BOM or Lamanites etc...

Hmm.............

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: February 27, 2015 10:27AM

"I'll pay you to tell me what I want to hear."

Date: February 27, 2015 12:23PM

jpt Wrote:
> "I'll pay you to tell me what I want to hear."

Yep.

Makes me want to quote:
"You can buy anything in this world, with money!" -Lucifer

Posted by: Stormin ( )
Date: February 27, 2015 12:52PM

The first time We went to Cancun our friends wanted to hire some Mormon tour to Chichenitzu. I told my wife I am not going to be lied to and will bring the Smithsonian letter if they even try to infer these were BoM lands. That did the trick we booked the local tours which were 'Mormon Lie Free' as they were afraid I would cause and 'scene' and refuse to pay!

The corrupt Mormon tour was also more expensive!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.