Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 12:34PM

So I decide to have lunch at The Bell today and catch up on whats happening at RfM. Lo and behold I find its been banned by the Taco Bell internet gods. LDS.ORG however is not banned.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 12:38PM

Wow, really?
I'd complain. :)

Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 12:38PM

It is probably owned by the Es O En corp.

They are based in Salem Oregon. They are very Mormon.

I worked for them as a kid. They would let all the missionaries eat for free.

They own several of the Taco Bells in Utah as well.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 12:39PM

That's your punishment for eating Taco Bell :)

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 02:18PM

Winner!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 02:35PM

Taco Bell is to Mexican food as Mormonism is to Christianity.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 03:24PM

So true. I'd even say the same thing about Cafe Rio which is another thing Mormons obsess over, probably more than Taco Bell.

Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 05:22PM

Are you trying to say that Cafe Rio is not Mexican food?

That is heresy!

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 12:45PM

LOL, the universe may be trying to tell me to stay away from Taco Bell.

BTW, this is a location in the midwest.

Posted by: ExMoBandB ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 12:53PM

When I was in my hysterical/angry stage of recovery from Mormonism, I got rid of everything Mormon in my life. I didn't know when I resigned that I would lose all my Mormon ward friends, so when that happened, I gave my life a complete overhaul. I cleared out my house of many shelves of Mormon books, and, of course, the garments went in the garbage.

I also decided to follow my former boss's advice, and "Never do business with Mormons," beginning with the City Creek Mall, the Mormon-owned local grocery store who mistreated its employees, my Mormon dentist who wasn't very good, my Mormon gynecologist who was pushing for unnecessary surgery, etc. It was like cleaning up my life, and it was very therapeutic.

It would make you feel really good to avoid Taco Bell! I'm a health food nut from California, but I still can find something edible at other fast food places, and at the locally owned restaurants--but--trust me--there is nothing edible in Taco-Bell/KFC. Not if you are avoiding fat, sugar, and gluten, the three staple ingredients there. Even my teen aged kids and their friends preferred Del Taco or Taco Time.

It is creepy to think that TSCC is using its influence to censor free communication. This countermands our right of free speech, and also our right to hold meetings. I'm so upset right now.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 12:59PM

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 01:01PM

It could have something to do with the Taco Bell/KFC connection. KFC started as the old SLC Do Drop Inn on South State Street by Mormon Pete Harman. He owned numerous franchise locations across the nation.

Pete died last November and perhaps his children are now more closely controlling those locations. If it is one of his, the manager will know. I often discuss Pete with them since I usually "hung out" at the Do Drop Inn after setting pins at the next door bowling alley before Brunswick replaced us. I got to know Pete quite well. He really was a nice person. Pete featured a "Double Header Hamburger" long before the Big Mac had even been thought of.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 01:04PM

He was friends with my grandfather. I'm doubtful his family would engage in such shenanigans. Not only that, but the family has nothing to do with KFC these days although they still operate a few KFC restaurants here.

It is, however, a bit of a "Relief Society Tactic" for you engage in such innuendo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 01:06PM by SL Cabbie.

Date: February 26, 2015 01:19PM

SL Cabbie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is, however, a bit of a "Relief Society Tactic"
> for you engage in such innuendo.

Innuendo is considered to be a disparaging remark. I did no such thing and resent your implication. I have always thought highly of Pete Harman and implied as much in my posting. Mere speculation of what may have been the cause for a change in policy is not usually considered to be innuendo by reasonable individuals.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 01:20PM by Templar.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 02:37PM

Templar Wrote:
> SL Cabbie Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It is, however, a bit of a "Relief Society
> Tactic"
> > for you engage in such innuendo.
>
> Innuendo is considered to be a disparaging remark.

I thought innuendo was an Italian suppository.

Date: February 26, 2015 02:39PM

Date: February 26, 2015 03:20PM

+ 100

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 01:05PM

Templar Wrote:
> It could have something to do with the Taco
> Bell/KFC connection. KFC started as the old SLC Do
> Drop Inn on South State Street by Mormon Pete
> Harman. He owned numerous franchise locations
> across the nation.

I remember the Do Drop Inn.
And the huge ads for "Harman's" that included the image of Colonel Sanders on the big smokestacks near Murray.
I left SLC in 1966...

Date: February 26, 2015 01:11PM

Perhaps you may also remember that Colonel Sanders all dressed in white often rode in the July 24th Pioneer Parade sitting up in an all white convertible.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 01:22PM

KFC was started by Harland Sanders in Corbin Kentucky. But the first franchise was opened by Pete Harman in SLC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 01:22PM by Devoted Exmo.

Date: February 26, 2015 01:25PM

I stand corrected.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 04:43PM

Sitting would have been ok too ; ' )

Date: February 26, 2015 08:06PM

+

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 01:07PM

I was thinking this might be a good place to have some exmo get togethers. Then I remembered they don't serve alcohol. Never mind.

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 03:27PM

Yet another reason to refer to it as "Taco Hell" as so many SF Bay Area folks do...! :-)

Posted by: whatiswanted ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 03:27PM

Ate least they still give you Free diarrhea at Taco Bell

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 04:41PM

Taco Bell is owned by the YUM Brands Inc. It also owns KFC and Pizza Hut. It used to own Long John Silvers and A&W until 2011.

David C. Novak is CEO of YUM Brands and is an outspoken christian. I would think as such, he would want people to visit RfM.

Anyway, I like a couple of things at Taco Bell and go there a couple of times a month.

Date: February 26, 2015 05:17PM

Yum Brands Inc. principally controls the brand usage rights and not necessarily the wifi access at individual franchise locations. Per their latest SEC filing: "Of the over 41,000 restaurants, 21% are operated by the Company and 79% are operated by franchisees, licensees or unconsolidated affiliates."

Unless it is spelled out in detail in the franchise agreement, I would think that an individual franchise owner would have a lot of latitude here.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 05:25PM

You're probably right. Next time I hit TB here in the deep, deep south, I'll try to get onto RfM and see what happens.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 05:05PM

Well back in 67 I got my first taste of TB.

As a starving student it was a nice change from Artic Circle.

Wasn't too bad back then. Real meat tacos, 3 for a buck.

Date: February 26, 2015 05:20PM

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 07:05PM

Most franchises will purchase IT services from a local reseller, who in turn will use one of the popular cloud-based services to perform filtering (WebSense being one such prominent example), where sites can be blocked based on any of a number of categories, including the presence of a large quantity of swear words or other 'angry' words.

These engines can use heuristic, whitelist, or blacklist approaches, or site-category approaches. It's unlikely RfM got singled out; it just tripped the engine (on the basis of swears, most likely) and got blocked. Most filters will indicate "Site X was blocked due to <fill in the blank>", where the fill-in-the-blank can be anything from guns, violence, gore, sexual themes, cursing, racism, etc.

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 08:34PM

I agree. Software is the most likely suspect. Filtering software can be fickle.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.