Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 10:23AM

...is this couple LDS??

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2222582-155/draper-man-indicted-for-24m-missing

Usually articles about LDS white collar crime will mention the perpetrator having taking advantage of church members via ward or stake connections.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 10:36AM

In the wake of the Bernie Madoff scandal, a local investment advisor and radio commentator was asked about ways that you can protect yourself from fraud. One thing that he mentioned that really stuck with me is that you should *always* write your checks directly to the company issuing the stocks or the mutual fund, and not to your advisory firm. I would never trust any one individual with managing my money. There is just too much potential for abuse.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 10:38AM

That makes a hell of a lot of sense. Too bad no one uses checks anymore.

Date: February 26, 2015 11:05AM

I do! I feel that checks are more secure than debit cards. Plus, I like the float that you often get between when you write a check and when it is cashed. But it's true that cashiers sometimes look at me like I'm a dinosaur.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 12:06PM

I do too.

Posted by: tilt ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 12:21PM

FWIW my mechanic prefers to take checks from people he knows. He doesn't have to absorb the debit fee of 3%.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 01:04PM

the "float"??? is usually no longer. Walmart, Target, even Dominos and Pizza Hut electronically process the checks. The money is taken out immediately. It used to be that you could write a check on Thurs. evening knowing that you'd have direct deposit; but now since it's electronically withdrawn it's immediate. That's why Walmart hands you back the check that you just wrote.

Date: February 26, 2015 02:15PM

It depends on the business. My mechanic takes about a week and a half to cash the check. Verizon can take a week or more.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 10:51AM

Yes. They are LDS. No one in Utard is going to give their retirement savings to a gentile. Only trusted ward members get to fleece the flock.

Posted by: justarelative ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 11:53AM

Only work with a financial advisor who uses a custodian. Never write a check (or ACH) to the financial advisor or his company. The custodian's job is to be sure the assets cannot be misappropriated by the advisor.

JAR

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.