Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 09:11AM

So I have looked around and can't find an answer to this. Stupid familysearch only shows people who have passed away. So I couldn't find oaks and his current wife.

Oay, how to my question. I was driving home last night and I had the thought while listening to IOT about polygamy. And how Dallin Oaks married his first and second wife in the temple. But what I am wondering is this, was his second wife married previously in the temple to a first spouse? I would find it hard to believe that Oaks would marry anyone who wasn't a perfect Mormon.

Does anyone know? I am just curious if Oaks did the same thing as JS and BY. Married an already married/sealed woman :)

It's an itch I can't scratch on my own so I need you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 09:37AM

His second wife, Kristen McMain Oaks, was single up until her marriage to Dallin. So it is most likely that they were both married for eternity in the temple.

In the book, "A Single Voice," she writes, "Being alone is never easy, but being single in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter- day Saints is a unique challenge."

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4624010-a-single-voice

When a woman has been previously married for eternity, a temple marriage for time only can be performed.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 09:52AM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When a woman has been previously married for
> eternity, a temple marriage for time only can be
> performed.

Which, as we well know, does not apply to men. Just another example of women's "second hand" status in Mormonism.

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 10:15AM

In the case of an apostle, if he really wanted a previously temple-married woman, he could line up her temple divorce in a matter of minutes and the could then be sealed for eternity.

There's the common member access, then there's royalty access.

Still, poor thing had to marry that Sleestak.

Date: February 26, 2015 10:57AM

such as Marie Osmond.

Date: February 26, 2015 10:17AM

yes I know that is the "rule" but it didn't seem to stop Joe when marrying other mens wives. Since he's an apostle, I just figured he would take priority.

But thanks for sharing, I was just wondering.

Date: February 26, 2015 11:17AM

To be technically correct, Joseph never "married" other men's wives. He was only "sealed' to them in very private ceremonies by "the power of the priesthood". This then gave him full sexual access to those women who went along (usually without their husband's knowledge) completely avoiding the legal requirement of spousal support.

It's almost unbelievable what Joseph Smith was able to get away with "in the name of god". He must have really been an atheist or completely self-deluded to do what he did and not fear the ultimate "judgment of god" considering his protestant upbringing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 11:20AM by Templar.

Date: February 26, 2015 05:53PM

okay if you want to use "technically" like an apologist sure, but they are showed as married to him on familysearch.com

Also BY DID marry other men's wife. He stood in and resealed Zina to JS, and then married her for time only.

In the LDS church if you are sealed to someone, its the same thought as marrying them. Yes I know it's "technically" different. But in the mind set its the same thing, just more powerful with then the worlds thought of marriage. It's for eternity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 05:57PM by wanderinggeek.

Date: February 26, 2015 06:15PM

Technically, or otherwise, they were never marriages (regardless of what Family Search may call them today) and were NEVER acknowledged as such by Joseph Smith at any time during his life. The Mormons were not told about them until the late 1800's when the involved women swore in legal affidavits to prove to the leader of the re-organized church that Joseph Smith had been a polygamist.

They were clearly illicit affairs nothing more. The so-called "sealings" (which were never done in the temple) were only performed to make the women feel better about their improper adulterous affairs.

BTW most European governments do not recognize mormon temple sealings as marriage and require mormon couples to have civil marriages.

Posted by: poin0 ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 10:26AM

There's a video on Youtube of Oaks talking about marrying his 2nd wife. I forgot what it was called but there was a thread about it on here a few months ago.

There's also another Apostle who's married a 2nd wife but I forgot which one. As far as I know, they believe they'll be with both wives in the Celestial Kingdom, so they essentially practice polygamy (well technically not, since the Celestial Kingdom isn't real, but they believe it is).

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 10:27AM

I thought there was another apostle who was married twice for eternity, but I couldn't remember who it was.

Posted by: tjc ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 05:43PM

Nelson. Nelson is married twice.

Date: February 26, 2015 10:54AM

The church has NEVER given up polygamy. That's just another one of the Mormonism CULT's numerous lies.

One only needs read the carefully worded "Official Declaration" (the so-called Manifesto) found at the end of the D&C. All Wilford Woodruff (the "prophet") actually says regarding the practice is that: "I now publicly declare that my advice to the Latter-day Saints is to refrain from contracting any marriage forbidden by the law of the land." Nothing therein discusses or even alludes to "the will of god". The change was clearly put forth as a legal and not a religious requirement. How could TSCC abandon a practice that was clearly required as the only way to become a god in the hereafter? (D&C 132:20-21)

Today, it has been reduced to "serial" polygamy as in Oak's case, but will be fully restored during the millennium according to mormon church doctrine.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: February 27, 2015 07:56AM

The manifesto (Official Declaration 1, as it's called now) is
called a "revelation" by the Mormons. This astounds me as
nowhere in the actual text itself does it even mention
"revelation," "commandment," or even "God." All it does is give
Wilford Woodruff's "advice." He doesn't say it's God's law,
just "my advice."

How this has risen to the status of "revelation" shows how
little actual facts matter to Mormons.

Date: February 28, 2015 11:16AM

Actually baura, I doubt that most mormons have even bothered to REALLY READ the D&C. A good part of it, especially those after the Kirkland Bank fiasco, come from letters and teachings rather than "thus saith the Lord".

How many TBMs are even aware that most of the early revelations were extensively rewritten and "back dated" to make it appear that specific things took place when they did not. Do they understand that personal names including JS were given false ones to cover up the improper leadership handing of the Missouri "United Firm" (as god originally called it)? I'm sure that most members haven't the slightest idea of what's really in the Doctrine and Covenants and how those so-called "revelations" dovetail actual church history.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 04:34PM

Apply your question to Howard Hunter. See what happens then.

Posted by: danboyle ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 05:18PM

Mormon marriages "for time only" are just like gay marriages.

Love, companionship, sharing a life together, raising kids together...you know, normal stuff.

So while the church is OK with "gray marriage", for some reason they are opposed to gay marriage.

Makes no sense.

Posted by: Skeptical ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 05:21PM

I have noticed that soon after the death of the first wife, apostles are quickly sealed to a second wife in the temple. The wives are usually single, and highly educated.

I am beginning to think that the apostles have already been sealed to the new wife (even during their first marriage), and the "re-sealed" after the death of the first wife to make things seem kosher.

Posted by: thewhyalumnus ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 05:28PM

Yes, Oaks was sealed to his second wife. His first wife gave him 'permission' to do so before she passed away. In his mind, he is an eternal polygamist.

Russell Nelson and L. Tom Perry are sealed to their second wife currently.

Polygamy is alive and well in the imagination of these 'apostles'.

Posted by: Skeptical ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 09:40PM

I am not entirely sure that the sealings of the apostles mentioned really happened 13 to 24 months AFTER the deaths of the first wives. I wouldn't be surprised if said apostles weren't sealed to the second wives secretly while their first wives were still alive.

Posted by: tamboruco ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 05:30PM

I wonder what kind of relationship Dallin and Kristen have? Hard to imagine them gettin' jiggy with it.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 05:30PM

My mother's cousin is also temple-married to his second wife. In her case, she was able to obtain a "temple divorce" from her first husband, because she was able to convince leaders that her first had "broken his covenants." This is possible, but I believe the "temple divorce" for a woman has to be approved by a general authority. Amirite?

Date: February 26, 2015 05:38PM

Years ago, Marie Osmond was granted a temple divorce after only three years from her first RM husband, Stephen Lyle Craig, whom she has recently remarried after dumping temple married number two.

More detail is available here: http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,204139,204356

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 05:41PM by Templar.

Posted by: cynthia ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 11:27PM

She spoke in our stake RS meeting a few years ago. Her cousin lives in our stake and arranged for her to come. She was very nice and quite funny, didn't fit Oak's sour face demeanor. She talked about how they met and life with an apostle. She had not been married before and said the wait was worth it.

Posted by: ExMoBandB ( )
Date: February 27, 2015 04:42AM

I have it on good authority, in the last 90 years, widower GA's can marry only never-married virgins!

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: February 27, 2015 08:17AM

This subject is mental torture for many mormon women. I am so glad my children and I are out of the cult. Thank you Eric and Susan.

Posted by: Cahomegrown ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 12:04PM

You Tube TOM GREENE, POLYGAMIST and watch the Mugshots story.

Interesting stuff!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 05:32PM

I married my wife in 1973. I don't recall whether the 'till death do us part" bit was said or not. Who cares. Ain't nuthin' but the dirt nap in our (and everybody else's) future...so we're making the most of our time here. I'm almost sad millions have bought into the cult's BS and refuse to question EVERYTHING MORMON.....almost.

Ron Burr

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: February 28, 2015 05:36PM

This is one more way that the men rule over and control the women. It's often cruel and uncalled for. The men don't usually even think bout this stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2015 05:36PM by madalice.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.