Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cahomegrown ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 01:52AM

* A friend posted on Facebook, "I forgot what a bitch it is to grow up in Utah. My 8 year old came home crying, because, "the girls said I'm not modest so I can't play with them. What is modest?"
* Daily Herald "news alert": Montana Temple plans announced
* Son went on a blind date with LDS single...to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. He said the music and singing were awesome!
(couldn't wait to have a beer when he got home- all the Mormon-speak made him dizzy)
* Niece just left for her mission in Montreal. Sure would be interesting to know how many people actually talk to the missionaries there! Think Sister-What-A-Waste will divulge that info?
* Stay tuned for mo observations

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 01:59AM

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 02:13AM

Funny stuff. Keep on sharing.

The next Daily Herald news alert we can easily predict - it will be something or other to do with the only-true-church-on-the-face-of-the-earth.

And, you better pay attention to that article.

If I had to live in Happy Valley, Utah I might just shoot myself but only in the foot. Their ridiculous always smilin' faces do not match the words that come out of their mouth nor the rude way in which they drive. When I have to travel among them, I feel like I need to wear a helmet and earplugs for protection. They drive me bonkers!

Posted by: Cahomegrown ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 02:35AM

Ha ha ha! My other son is doing his behind the wheel for his driver's license.
I haven't figured out why Utah (Mormons) drivers are SO bad..maybe it's because the rebel comes out when they're in their cars?
There's been no need to shoot my foot...yet. It's actually pretty entertaining to watch, and be a part of, without ever having to step into a ward.

Tomorrow, News from HV will report on whose kid has the most impressive Mission call.

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 04:00AM

"Niece just left for her mission in Montreal. Sure would be interesting to know how many people actually talk to the missionaries there!"

Not many at all, if my long-ago experiences are any predictor. There are a slew, maybe a slew and a half, of us on the BB who served our sentence in Quebec. From what I've read here, it's become even more difficult in recent years. I imagine local morale is in the deep end now that the Montreal McTemple is shut indefinitely for renovation.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 08:06AM

Quebec, like most Canadian provinces, is largely secular, with historic Roman Catholic roots. Quebecers are not going to embrace an American based cult - they're just not that gullible or needy. I have no idea how mishies in Montreal would occupy their time, but I'm sure they can find things to do.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 11:15AM

When were you there? I lived two years in Montreal 68-69.

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 07:31PM

I was there from 1980 to 1982. Nine consecutive months in Montreal proper, the rest in other outlying areas. December 1980 was in Val d'Or, up in the Abitibi region. Was thirty below zero the whole month; I've written briefly here about the accommodations and issues we had there. Not good.

ETA: If I were a missionary in Montreal today, I'd probably occupy my time chasing down food trucks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 07:34PM by Book of Mordor.

Posted by: reuben ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 06:43AM

What is modest? A burka. its only a matter of time before the daughters of Zion go that route.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 11:36AM

We had an exmo get-together once at that nice bar in the Provo Marriott. The bartender was wearing a CTR ring. And the only cocktail he knew was rum and cola.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 03:43PM

... like two simultaneous middle-fingers to the church with every swallow.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 03:38PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 03:46PM

The concept of an 8 year old being preoccupied by modest dress is ludicrous. Let kids be kids! I can understand adults teaching kids about appropriate vs. inappropriate dress for given occasions, i.e. you wear a bathing suit to the pool but not to church. But why should an 8 year old have to be concerned about modesty?

Posted by: greenAngel ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 04:24PM

the longer I've been out of the church the more I realize just how damaging the constant modest talk is. I have a daughter and she is a wonderful, smart girl. She dresses to show her personality and while she knows (and we have several discussions about dressing appropriately for occasions, work, etc) She doesn't think a thing about how she is dressed connecting it to her self-worth.

the more I hear them harp at females about "modesty" the more I see girls who turn shy, ashamed of their natural shape, or think that "modesty" is just an appearance, not a state of mind. I see little girls in sundresses at the store all the time in the spring and summer, mom in a sundress too, they are "bad" women because of shoulders?? and short shorts, OMG girls have legs too!?

so so stupid

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 08:09PM

Mormon "modesty" in Utah County is jacked. Every time I visit there, I'm appalled at the Mormon mommies -- decked out in form-fitting, embellished clothing to accentuate their stick-thin bodies and big boobs, but with shoulders and thighs carefully covered -- discussing how to keep their toddlers "modest." The concern is only about female children; little boys are allowed to run amok in the stores wearing a pair of swim shorts and flip-flops, while girl children have to be swathed in layers that would cover garmies, no matter how young they are.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 08:57PM

That's what I think is disgusting about the "modesty" thing among Mormons, is that they do that to girls while boys get away with being able to show more skin. Now, there are some who are rightfully concerned about sun protection for their blond and blue eyed children who do make them wear rash guards, but that's so there's less area to keep reapplying sun screen on them.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 09:19PM

Next thing you know, TBMs will be instructed to close their eyes while changing a diaper.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.