Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mythb4meat ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 01:21AM

I am a single man and the fairly large city where I live has a substantial population of Asians. I've been friends with 4 Chinese females....I like them very much generally. Just as an interesting note, I have observed that ALL 4 of them have very specific traits in common. Among them:

1) No tattoos or piercings (except ears)
2) Wear slippers, NO SHOES worn in the house!
3) Pot of rice cooking every day
4) They find odd vegetables at Asian market I've never seen!
5) Fear and extreme dislike/hate of dangerous animals such as wolves, crocodiles, tigers, snakes, bears.
6) Great desire to find wealthy man for a husband
7) Strong belief in phenomena such as good luck, bad luck, forms of astrology, spiritism.
8) Desire to keep bed sheets/linens extremely clean
9) Feeling need to always be giving money to their adult children.

I'm not making a negative judgement on these things, I just find all this fascinating. Never having been overseas, I guess it's just part of my education about cultures other than my own....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 01:34AM

Common traits/behaviors of FOUR women.

Get out more.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 11:00AM

Beth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Common traits/behaviors of FOUR women.
>
> Get out more.

Yeah, I was going to mention that I know several Chinese women (some in China) who have tattoos and break other stereotypes.

And other than the rice every day, my own Asian wife breaks those stereotypes, too :)

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 01:46AM

Interesting thread. I enjoyed reading your observations about these women. I myself must admit that I have not known people well at all from China. Your comments have made me want to find out more about their culture and day to day lives.

Posted by: cupcakelicker (sober) ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 01:59AM

> 7) Strong belief in phenomena such as good luck,
> bad luck, forms of astrology, spiritism.

That's the only one I dislike. We're lucky unscientific beliefs are strictly a Chinese thing, eh?

Seriously though, are YOU not afraid of tigers?? Do you like dirty sheets? Would you track doggie doodoo into the house where your baby might be crawling? Is a rich spouse something to avoid?

This reminds me of the stereotype of black people loving fried chicken: so does everyone else.

Date: February 26, 2015 02:01AM

Date: February 26, 2015 02:19AM

Many Chinese people have trouble metabolizing alcohol, but that's an enzyme thing, not a culture thing. It's entertaining when we're drinking though.

Date: February 26, 2015 02:37AM

Date: February 26, 2015 02:42AM

Date: February 26, 2015 02:43AM

Posted by: lush ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 02:18AM

My wife loves wolves, bears, crocodiles and tigers dude so I think your list is bogus. She is however a poor driver, has a unhealthy obsession with hello kitty and enjoys Pinkberry very much.

Date: February 26, 2015 02:37AM

(Still not quite sober but spins have subsided)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 02:38AM by Beth.

I was just trying my hardest to stereotype. Hello kitty merch exists in China too.

Date: February 26, 2015 02:44AM

Lost in translation. :-D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 09:25AM by Beth.

Date: February 26, 2015 02:45AM

Well that never happens on the Internet does it? :) btw that movie does take place in Japan;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 02:45AM by lush.

Date: February 26, 2015 02:46AM

ETA: Hahaha. It does! <- the movie (and everything else you wrote)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 02:57AM by Beth.

Posted by: Cahomegrown ( )

Those are actually very commendable traits -you left out industrious-and indeed are hallmarks of Chinese women,
Traveled in Hong Kong, Kowloon, mainland China in the industrial zone, the islands, and then Taiwan..the ladies I met were awesome

Date: February 26, 2015 02:45AM

My god! Generalize much? Christ!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 02:45AM by Beth.

Date: February 26, 2015 02:49AM

Now I'm an expert on Chinese culture! Suchasforthechildrenwhodonthavemaps.

ETA: "I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some, uh, people out there in our nation don't have maps and, uh, I believe that our education like such as in South Africa and, uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and, I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., uh, or, uh, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future [for our children]." ~Caitlin Upton

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 02:54AM by Beth.

Posted by: myprofie ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 04:07AM

Barnum statements.

Beth -

Miss Utah 2013 Marissa Powell was asked about how women are continuing to earn less than men in America, and what she thinks that means for our society.

"How to create jobs right now, that is the biggest problem right now, and I think especially the men are seen as leaders of this and so we need to figure out how to create education better so we can solve this problem."

Date: February 26, 2015 09:12AM

Posted by: reuben ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 06:31AM

stereotypes are prevalent for a reason. They show a statistically significant tendency of a group/things to behave in a certain way.

Our brains evolved stereotyping as a way to identify and avoid danger. The brain sees X thing, and assigns Y probability of danger; or put another way, it fears Y with a varying intensity in relation to the assumed danger.

I don't get why people get their panties in a wad over stereotypes.

This board does it everyday in regards to mormon culture.

Date: February 26, 2015 09:21AM

Poster A might say, Mormons are like X, and Poster B might agree, and Poster C might say, no, not in my experience. There are a lot of "Where you ever told _______?" And there have been a range of answers.

If you met a woman from Woodstock, VT; from Savannah, GA; from Bakersfield, CA; and from Austin, TX, would you then be able to extrapolate your very limited experience to the entire country? There are a lot of people here. There are many more in China.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 09:39AM

The reasons you don't see why both positive and negative stereotyping can be problematic is because you're blinded and protected by your white privilege that protects you from understanding what PoC, minorities, and other marginalized people have to deal with every single day. Hell, you probably engage in hundreds of microaggressions a day and will defend them to the death rather than concede you're being an ass.

Isn't stereotyping great? It saves so much time and effort!

Date: February 26, 2015 09:41AM

Posted by: LoveAsians ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 09:19AM

I have nothing much of value to add to this thread, just wanted to add to the data points though.

My Asian-American wife doesn't really hit many of those stereotypes. But then her mother keeps telling her she isn't Asian enough. LOL

And I'll just add that I love my wife, she is super hot!

Posted by: Exdrymo ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 10:47AM

I'm very amused by this thread, as I sit on my lawn in my polo shirt, cardigan sweater, chinos, and topsiders, watching the kids play croquet and listening to "Sing Along with Mitch".

Oh look! The little woman is bringing lemonafe for us all!

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 11:07AM

Base on this thread, I am truly amazed at how many folks here would flunk out of Cultural Anthropology 101.

Posted by: check out info ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 01:43PM

If interested in foreign citizen to dates or marry; check information about immigration requirements of support if sponsoring that do not end if divorcing later.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.