Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 12:38AM

What about a conscience?
What about consciousness?
If not, why not?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 12:42AM by koriwhore.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 12:39AM

like rainbows

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 12:43AM by koriwhore.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 12:49AM

Not domesticated but part of many of our lives. We think they're pets, and they show us how foolhardy we are.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 01:08AM

Do cats have egos? Obviously you have not met my cats. YES! They rule our home. They know they are superior to all humans. In addition to being extremely intelligent, they are graceful, beautiful, great companions...on and on and on and on...
I have been trained thoroughly by cats my entire life and of course they told me what to say, but I agree with their ideas...
CATS RULE!
Dogs are pretty damn cool too. Did you all see the Westminster dog show. The Beagle that won was adorable. Many of those dogs I wanted to snuggle with even the Newfie. I've always wanted a dog I could swim with...
Any Newfie owners out there or people who are owned by cats want to comment?

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 01:11AM

The worst animals can be humans. Other animals don't attempt to hide their true natures. We are afraid to accept ours.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: February 27, 2015 02:29AM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 09:52AM

My sister has the funniest cat I've ever met. Ego. YOU BET.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 10:17AM

Cats not only rule people, they can also train dogs. If you don't do what a cat wants, he will punish you and give the a look that tells you he/she is displeased. Cats can plan ahead. If endangered they plan a route of escape. We had a cat which, as cats will do, saw a collie puppy and swatted it across the nose to prove who was boss. Years go by and the dog grows to be the hugest collie you ever saw with teeth over an inch long. Dog comes into the yard and barks up a storm. The cat shows no fear and, looking bored, lifts one paw to take a step towards the monster dog and...the dog runs away in fear, as he remembers the time years earlier and the swat on the snout. So dogs have a good memory but one would think he could look in a mirror and realize he is no longer that little puppy. Yes, cats are smart and resist training because they seek control.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 10:24AM

My opinion is that pet animals have a conscience, but that in a lot of ways they behave like little kids -- they want to please, and to follow the rules of the household, but sometimes they forget and their instincts take over. For example, when our family dog got into the garbage when we were away, she would greet us at the door with a lowered head and tail, which was wagging just a tiny bit. She knew she had done wrong. She was also extremely tolerant of young children, and put up with behavior from them (ear tugging, trying to ride her,) that she would never put up with from an adult.

My cat is a noisy little fellow. When I say, "Quiet, Kitty!" it is hilarious to listen to him start to meow, and then try to stop or swallow the sound. He will do this any number of times as he forgets and then makes a valiant effort to control himself.

He also seems to know that I like for him to sleep with me on the bed. He obviously finds this not to his liking (I think I move around too much, plus he is very nocturnal,) but in a compromise, he will sleep with me as I am falling asleep and again as I wake up. To me this shows thoughtfulness and an awareness of my feelings.

On consciousness -- our family dog seemed to be aware that she was dying. In her final days she really soaked in her surroundings and the people that she loved. She spent a lot of time just looking around her, taking things in like she knew it was for the last time.

On ego -- pets will often stand up for themselves through a growl, hiss, or swat if they feel they are not being treated with dignity. The opposite is true as well -- if you are kind to an animal who is sick or suffering, the animal appreciates that.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 10:24AM

My cat is currently plotting a psychological coup d'etat.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 12:53PM

If they do, they won't tell us.
They think we're inferior to them, and only exist to serve them food.

:)

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 01:00PM

I love cats. They are amazing creatures. If you are around them, you realize they think, have emotions, affections, attachments, desires, fears, likes and dislikes. Cats will bond with you and love you as much or more than you love them.

I've had 4 cats in my lifetime and they each have separate personalities. They have all been great companions, but as different as 2 different people are. If they don't have souls, then humans don't either.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 01:24PM

I have a little shih tzu. When ever she gets around a cat she starts to limp. I took her to the vet twice to see what was wrong with her leg before I figured out what was going on.

What a little manipulator!

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 02:28PM

You better believe it!!!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 02:47PM

I was once owned by a cat.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 02:57PM

I am the caretaker for one of my adult kids elderly cat. She surprises me almost daily with how smart she is and how she understands what is going on and what I say!
When she wants something she comes and gets me and takes me where she wants me to go! She was raised with dogs for a few years so she knows the dog commands: sit, down, roll over, no, play, come to grandma, etc.
I'm surprised by how she imitates human behavior in speech also and nods her head and makes a sound like: ya.
I have had cats before, but not one like this one.
I laugh several times a day at how she responses to me.
I don't know what goes on in that little pea sized brain of hers but it's amazing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 02:57PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 04:34PM

Walnut sized brain actually. :)

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 04:19PM

Date: February 26, 2015 04:32PM

I think cats (and all animals for that matter) are conscious beings; with emotions, personalities, personal preferences, and the whole nine yards. We are all animals, after all.

My daughter’s cat (who we are all also owned by) is so funny. After being home schooled, my daughter started attending high school this year. The cat actually tries to punish her by being aloof towards her, quite spitefully, as a protest against her leaving and going to school everyday. For the first few hours after she gets home, that cat refuses to have anything to do with her, quite purposefully. Then, the cat will suddenly be remorseful, like she’s worried she’s taken it too far, and will go and find my daughter, and ‘re-bond’. It’s like she’s shunning her for leaving … wait, is our cat a Mormon? Say it isn’t so!

Another cat I used to have definitely showed a conscience. It was very respectful of the toilet paper … until we went away for a trip. Then it would shred every toilet roll in the house to protest our going away. So, as long as we didn’t take any silly little trips, that cat was very ‘conscientious’ of the toilet paper. It had a conscience, and a consciousness too.

The question I more often ask is: what kind of person ‘doesn’t’ see the similarities between ourselves and the animal kingdom? To me, it’s those who fail to see ourselves as just another part of a large, related system of beings that are most likely to abuse nature; because they consider themselves separate from it … or ‘above’ it. We’re just another animal too. I’m sure some animals are actually even smarter than us in certain capacities. Sometimes I blame religions for making some of us regard ourselves as separate, and somehow superior, to nature … which is certainly not the case.

Regarding consciousness, I think cats are actually fourth dimensional creatures. However, that’s a story for some other time.

Posted by: greenlocust ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 04:58PM

They most certainly do. That's why I don't like them. Their better fried. My dog is the best thing under the sun. Unconditional love and forgiveness

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 05:20PM

I'm quite certain they do. I think alot of animals are quite self-aware. What makes pets so interesting is exactly this different psychologies of the different species. Similar to our own in some ways and yet alien and mysterious in other ways. Cats in particular seem to be very commited to maintain an aura of 'dignity', with occassional hilarious results. I would have one if I wasn't allergic, I love cats.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 06:39PM

I am a man who has a cat. I think cats have a rudimentary ego. All I know is that I like cats, probably because they are often self assured and a bit solitary. Like me.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 10:39PM

Look up Rupert Sheldrake's research on pets who know when their owners are coming home. Dogs and cats show this ability. Lizards and fish don't, possibly because they don't establish an emotional bond. It makes me feel better about eating fish.

Date: February 27, 2015 12:26AM

Years ago a cat we had could do this. We lived on the 11th floor of an apartment. The elevator was right outside our door, and it opened and closed all the time, there was always lots of traffic. My wife arrived home at varying times from work, so there was no particular pattern to her arrival. When she did come home, at about the same time when she would be entering the bottom floor of the building to get on the elevator, the cat would go to the door and wait. A minute or so later, my wife would get off the elevator and come through the door, where the cat was always waiting. I would watch the cat do this everyday. She did other things along those lines too, she was our psychic kitty.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 10:44PM

I have seen cats suffer embarrassment, so I'd say they must have egos. I'm convinced they have souls.

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 11:28PM

Yes they do. I've had too many cats to not know this. They are wonderful and every one I've had is different.

Speaking of toilet paper, one of my cats would take a bite out of the roll if she was hungry and there wasn't food in her bowl. I had another that would go running to the food bowl and start to eat if something upset her.

I have one cat that always outsmarted me when I tried to put barriers in place to give the new cat some space. She'd always figure out a way to get around or over the barrier. Even when I thought there was nothing close enough for her to jump from, she found a way.

I have a cat that unfortunately hasn't forgotten that a human in the past was abusive to her. I have no idea what happened to her but it took a lot of time to get her to trust me. She can be very affectionate but if I accidentally put my hand in the wrong place, she'll swat, and she is fast. She is a challenge but she deserves a good life. She doesn't need to be let down by any more "humans". She loves belly rub and loves to butt heads. If I'm sleeping on my side she sits on the side of the bed that I am facing. If I turn over she gets up and goes to the other side of the bed.

Posted by: iamanevermormon ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 11:33PM

“Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are god. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are gods.” --Christopher Hitchens

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: February 27, 2015 01:33AM

My cat DEFINATELY does!!!

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: February 27, 2015 03:17AM

... and adopted ME a year and a half ago. Best relationship of my life so far.

Every night around midnight or later I take him for a walk around the neighborhood when there's no traffic. He follows or runs ahead and acts like a dog a lot of the time ... sniffing bushes, car tires and bumpers, "reading the mail" and "catching up on the news." When I'm on the computer, he curls up on the arm of my recliner, or perches on top of the back rest and sometimes bathes the top of my head for me.

I've lived with a couple dozen cats in my life, but Mr. Pi is my first Maine Coon. I am VERY impressed. Never had a cat like him before.

==== http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maine_Coon ====

Maine Coons are the largest breed of domestic cat. Males weigh from 15 to 25 lb (6.8 to 11.3 kg) with females weighing from 10 to 15 lb (4.5 to 6.8 kg).[18] The height of adults can vary between 10 and 16 in (25 and 41 cm) and they can reach a length of up to 48 in (120 cm), including the tail, which can reach a length of 14 in (36 cm)[19] and is long, tapering, and heavily furred, almost resembling a raccoon's tail. The body is solid and muscular, which is necessary for supporting their own weight, and the chest is broad. Maine Coons possess a rectangular body shape and are slow to physically mature; their full potential size is normally not reached until they are three to five years old, while other cats take about one year.[20]

Maine Coons are known as the "gentle giants"[4] and possess above-average intelligence, making them relatively easy to train.[3] They are known for being loyal to their family and cautious—but not mean—around strangers, but are independent and not clingy. The Maine Coon is generally not known for being a "lap cat" but their gentle disposition makes the breed relaxed around dogs, other cats, and children. They are playful throughout their lives, with males tending to be more clownish and females generally possessing more dignity, yet both are equally affectionate.[26] Many Maine Coons have a fascination with water and some theorize that this personality trait comes from their ancestors, who were aboard ships for much of their lives.[5] Maine Coons are also well known for being very vocal cats. They are known for their frequent yowling, chattering, chirping, "talking" (especially "talking back" to their owners), and making other loud vocalizations.[34]

=================

Mr. Pi weighs 18 pounds. He usually speaks when spoken to, and often chirps to me. He and my sister's dog (Shiba Inu) get along great. The cat butts the top of his head against the dog's chest when they pass each other, kinda like a hug, and swats the dog when things get a little too intense.

Michael Newton wrote (based on over 7,000 Life Between Life hypnotic regressions) that pets do indeed have souls, and that human souls in the Spirit World can meet and play with pet souls from our Earthly incarnations whenever we want to. He writes that human souls never reincarnate as animals, or vice-versa. I don't recall any MN comments about pets reincarnating, but it wouldn't surprise me if they do.

As I finish this post, Mr. Pi is on the backrest watching me type, with a warm paw resting on my left shoulder.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2015 03:20AM by beyondashadow.

Posted by: Bagheera ( )
Date: February 27, 2015 07:51AM

beyondashadow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... and adopted ME a year and a half ago. Best
> relationship of my life so far.
>
> Every night around midnight or later I take him
> for a walk around the neighborhood when there's no
> traffic. He follows or runs ahead and acts like a
> dog a lot of the time ... sniffing bushes, car
> tires and bumpers, "reading the mail" and
> "catching up on the news." When I'm on the
> computer, he curls up on the arm of my recliner,
> or perches on top of the back rest and sometimes
> bathes the top of my head for me.
>
> I've lived with a couple dozen cats in my life,
> but Mr. Pi is my first Maine Coon. I am VERY
> impressed. Never had a cat like him before.
>
> ==== http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maine_Coon ====
>
> Maine Coons are the largest breed of domestic cat.
> Males weigh from 15 to 25 lb (6.8 to 11.3 kg) with
> females weighing from 10 to 15 lb (4.5 to 6.8
> kg).[18] The height of adults can vary between 10
> and 16 in (25 and 41 cm) and they can reach a
> length of up to 48 in (120 cm), including the
> tail, which can reach a length of 14 in (36
> cm)[19] and is long, tapering, and heavily furred,
> almost resembling a raccoon's tail. The body is
> solid and muscular, which is necessary for
> supporting their own weight, and the chest is
> broad. Maine Coons possess a rectangular body
> shape and are slow to physically mature; their
> full potential size is normally not reached until
> they are three to five years old, while other cats
> take about one year.[20]
>
> Maine Coons are known as the "gentle giants"[4]
> and possess above-average intelligence, making
> them relatively easy to train.[3] They are known
> for being loyal to their family and cautious—but
> not mean—around strangers, but are independent
> and not clingy. The Maine Coon is generally not
> known for being a "lap cat" but their gentle
> disposition makes the breed relaxed around dogs,
> other cats, and children. They are playful
> throughout their lives, with males tending to be
> more clownish and females generally possessing
> more dignity, yet both are equally
> affectionate.[26] Many Maine Coons have a
> fascination with water and some theorize that this
> personality trait comes from their ancestors, who
> were aboard ships for much of their lives.[5]
> Maine Coons are also well known for being very
> vocal cats. They are known for their frequent
> yowling, chattering, chirping, "talking"
> (especially "talking back" to their owners), and
> making other loud vocalizations.[34]
>
> =================
>
> Mr. Pi weighs 18 pounds. He usually speaks when
> spoken to, and often chirps to me. He and my
> sister's dog (Shiba Inu) get along great. The cat
> butts the top of his head against the dog's chest
> when they pass each other, kinda like a hug, and
> swats the dog when things get a little too
> intense.
>
> Michael Newton wrote (based on over 7,000 Life
> Between Life hypnotic regressions) that pets do
> indeed have souls, and that human souls in the
> Spirit World can meet and play with pet souls from
> our Earthly incarnations whenever we want to. He
> writes that human souls never reincarnate as
> animals, or vice-versa. I don't recall any MN
> comments about pets reincarnating, but it wouldn't
> surprise me if they do.
>
> As I finish this post, Mr. Pi is on the backrest
> watching me type, with a warm paw resting on my
> left shoulder.

True, true...one of ours used to 'talk' a lot. She'd do something bad, then excitedly tell us all about it. Another would steal cotton swabs and run around with one hanging off her lip like a cigarette. So funny!

I miss my kittehs.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: February 27, 2015 09:50AM

Maine coon cats can also mate for life. My mother told of one which the male cat even helped in raising the kittens. The kittens were desired by everyone as they were like the parent cats.

Posted by: ExMoBandB ( )
Date: February 27, 2015 06:23AM

No one can comfort you, like a pet can. I was in a horrible marriage, my husband was beating me, and I was contemplating suicide, when one of my piano students asked if I wanted a kitten. He gave me the nicest one, a black one, who was half Siamese. That crazy cat could run up walls to the ceiling. I'd wake up in the morning, and every cupboard in the kitchen and bathroom would be opened. When I was injured, the cat seemed to know where my injury was, and he would stay on my bed and comfort me with his purring--sometimes all day and night--until I got up again. I had something to live for, something to make me laugh. I would sit late at night, with the cat on my lap, and watch the snow fall, and wonder if I had any future at all.

I had a stiff neck that wouldn't go away, and I couldn't figure out what was wrong, until I figured out that the cat would wait until I was asleep, and then he'd sleep on my head.

I decided to divorce the wife beater, so I took my cat and moved home. One day, a neighbor came to the door, and introduced herself, and announced that my cat and her cat had had kittens, and asked if I wanted to see them. There were three, and they kept them all, with the mother. The neighbor's husband turned out to be a close friend of an old boyfriend of mine at BYU, and he told me the boyfriend had never gotten over me. We got back together, but he was deployed away in the army for two years. I wrote him letters, with the cat lying all over the pages, and biting the pencils. Old boyfriend came home, we got married, the neighbors were best man and matron of honor.

My new husband loved that cat, who lived for 18 years, and comforted me through pregnancies and labor, and was very sweet with our children. Pets not only intertwine with our lives, but can actually change our lives!

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: February 27, 2015 06:28AM

Cats do indeed. They don't have owners - they have staff.

Briggy

Posted by: newnameabigail ( )
Date: February 27, 2015 08:22AM

canopeners ^^
"You can keep a dog; but it is the cat who keeps people, because cats find humans
useful domestic animals."
- George Mikes from "How to be decadent"

Date: February 27, 2015 08:19AM

Do they have egos? Met our crazy fyrry fellow and your question is answered. He is a true macho and boss. He was super jealous of BF, and really tried to fight with him.
Now BF is under him in rang. ^^

But he is also true keeper.
When I'm sad he comes and comfort me, when I'm sick he comes and take care for me. I had a really nasty cough a few weeks ago and he came and laid on my chest and started purring. Whivh should have a healing effect. And really my cough get better within a few hours.

So we are excited to see how he reacts whe the baby arrives....

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: February 27, 2015 08:35AM

I am a lover of dogs.

Cats? I am certain I could love a cat too.

Here is my experience:

Most of the people I know who have cats tend to imprison them.

They are locked up in a room and never leave the room.

My landlady does this. So does one of my customers. Also, a good friend in Wyoming has 5 cats locked in a room.

Is this a common treatment of cats? I don't get it...

Date: February 27, 2015 08:38AM

Actually not .... our can go out whenever he wants. He hang out in the neighborhood with other cats. He can access every room in the house - we never lock him anywhere.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 27, 2015 09:57AM

No, not that I've ever seen. People either let their cats have the run of the house or the cats are also allowed to go outside. Sometimes I babysit my brother's cat, and when she is here I keep her in my bed and bath area because she doesn't get along with my cat. That gives her more room than she would get at most boarding kennels. Plus my family knows I will take good care of her.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2015 10:09AM by summer.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: February 27, 2015 10:03AM

If not outright abuse.

Locking up one cat in a room on a constant basis is cruel enough, but five? Horrible.

People who don't understand cats or know how to take care of them should watch The Cat Daddy, Jackson Galaxy, on "My Cat From Hell." Most undesirable cat behaviour can be modified if you're willing to put in a little work.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: February 27, 2015 10:19AM

Yep.

I recently installed a door on a kitchen in order to keep the 2 cats in the kitchen.

One of the cats learned how to open the door! It is a 'bi-fold' door and I had to return to put a hook latch on the door!

Funny!

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: February 27, 2015 08:53AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.