Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: utahfantasy ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 11:26PM

So my wife and I got married in the temple about five years ago. Since then we both have left and are done with TSCC and now hate our wedding pics and some memories of that special day. Would it be weird to renew our vows in our mid 20s? Probably sends a pretty clear message to our relatives that are members still. Look forward to your thoughts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: justarelative ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 11:31PM

Well, it's never too soon to recommit yourselves to one another. Doing so ceremonially might be just the thing under the circumstances. I like this idea very much. Do it up big; professional photographer. In a way, this could be a way of showing each other and the world that your commitment is to each other with no intermediary. Am I invited?

JAR

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 11:36PM

Sounds like a great idea. Go create the wedding pics and memories you actually want. How could it be too soon? In a perfect world it would have happened 5 years ago!

Posted by: roslyn ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 11:38PM

Do you feel it's too soon? Or are you worried about what other people think? If you are unhappy with you pictures and the vows you made redo it, have another ceremony. Do it for yourselves though, for no one else.

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 11:43PM

Yes, new wedding clothes, and a great photographer. Have fun! :)

Posted by: utahfantasy ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 11:47PM

Thanks all, I appreciate it!

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 11:48PM

Go for it!!!

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 11:55PM

My wife's been looking at dresses and venues for a more fleshed-out vow renewal. My parents were not welcome inside the temple for our marriage, and as it was held aways from my wife's home, none of her friends were readily able to attend.

I'd say go for it. Your marriage started off with vows made to an institution neither of you believe in any more. While that does nothing to diminish your love for each other, there's nothing wrong with indulging, publicly, in an event that all your friends and family can attend.

Posted by: re-newlywed ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 01:33AM

DH and I recently renewed our vows! It was so beautiful and simply wonderful! We have always loved each other, but our 30 year marriage was continually plagued by this third entity that was constantly interfering and forcing a wedge between us.

Our marriage has never been stronger. Our life is now a sweet, sweet everlasting honeymoon! We wish we had done this together right away. I think we could have made a quicker, smoother transition to our new lives.

Congratulations, I hope you go for it!

Posted by: ExMoBandB ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 02:03AM

No, no, no! I mean, yes, yes, yes! Definitely renew your vows!

I think every Mormon couple who has endured a temple wedding should renew their vows!

This could be your REAL wedding, with ALL of your family members and loved ones welcome! Take great pictures. Our photographer had the temple in all the pictures, and that was so ugly to me, that I didn't purchase any of them. There were a few of the reception, and those were the only ones of value.

You could have lovely photos of people who actually ATTEND your wedding--not a bunch of rejected people posing on hard granite temple steps in front of a fake door for giants, that screams, "Keep Out!"

You two could write your own vows, have an outdoor wedding, wear any kind of wedding outfits you want to wear. I would wear a strapless gown with open-toed shoes, and my bridesmaids would actually be by my side, instead of three floors down in the waiting room for unworthies.

It would be your REAL wedding.

Posted by: Cahomegrown ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 02:18AM

There's so many beautiful spots in Utah to have a wedding!
Exchanging meaningful vows to each other, yes! Do it!
Can I come too? I'll even help with bar tending at the reception.
LOL!

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 02:19AM

I think it's a great idea, as you'll be able to have everyone you invite to be able to attend, and you can have vows to each other instead of some corporation calling itself a church.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 07:14PM

My wife and I did it one year on Valentine's Day at a shopping mall country radio station event.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.