Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: angela Davis ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 03:44PM

Another reason to avoid Idaho...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 03:49PM

I feel sorry for the sane people who live there, including some posters on this site.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 03:52PM

This will be interesting to watch. Though it sounds more like a full employment plan for attorneys, it is an issue that some extreme conservatives want to continue to litigate.

North Carolina tried it a while back, but quickly dropped it.

Posted by: angela Davis ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 03:52PM

I guess without recognition as a Christian state it would be flirting with adopting Sharia law.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 11:46AM

The Christian version.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 04:00PM

Sounds like they've been distilling Vodka in their basements again.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 04:11PM

Perhaps Idaho will finally pass Utah as having the nation's dumbest lawmakers.

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 04:50PM

Kind of like mid east countries are Muslim states and Isreal is a Jewish state. No problems with religious fundamentalists trying to force there religion on others these parts of the world.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 04:56PM

Thank God the US has and upholds separation of church and state.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 06:35PM

Oh, sure Idaho -- go ahead and ignore the US constitution, which prohibits state establishment of religion.
How about we kick you out of the union if you do?
We can get potatoes from elsewhere...

Sheesh.

Posted by: kenc ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 06:44PM

It is embarrassing to live in Idaho sometimes. One day, you read in the news that a Republican legislator (they are all Republicans except for a tiny minority of Democrats), asked a medical doctor, during a hearing, if tiny cameras swallowed by patients to track digestive problems could be used in the same way to peer into a woman's "female parts". The female doctor politely pointed out that items swallowed do not end up in the uterus, cervix or vagina.

And then this Christian nation nonsense. I am not familiar with other counties in Idaho, but Latah County, home of the University of Idaho is one of the few Democratic counties in the state. It is good to live in this tiny enclave where common sense and reason are found. The other parts of the state? Not so much.

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 08:14PM

That is one of the funniest things I've read today. Swallowing a camera to view female parts? Wow, maybe there should be a minimum IQ test to run for office!

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 09:48PM

I grow my own potatoes. They're much better than the ones from Idaho.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 06:46PM

Folks it's a dum republimoron 'Kootenai County Central Committee' pushing a non-binding resolution.

If they cain't have a Christian country, they can damn well have a Christian county.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 08:15PM

Also, that county is in the infamous NORTHERN Idaho. I would be curious to see if any of these politicians are Aryan to boot.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 06:51PM

The title of the thread should read "some in Idaho". Idaho is shot-through Republican but this has no hope of being passed into law nor should it.

Posted by: Kismet ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 07:01PM

That seems incredibly dismissive of all the people who live in Idaho who are NOT Christians.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 07:02PM

Don't go there, it is a horrible place! Very ugly! Just lots and lots of lava rocks and sage brush, and really really stupid people that like to try to grow potatoes in the tiny spots of sand between all of endless piles of lava rocks. It is Hell on earth!

Posted by: magic823 ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 07:33PM

Just some idiots up north (remember this was here the arian nation was). Idaho is a beautiful state. Look up Sawtooth National Recreation Area. When I grew up here it was a 50-50 repug to demo. Best governor (Andrus) and senator (Frank Church) this state has ever had were Democrat. Unfortunately we now have clowns like Butch, Crappo, and Reich.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 08:08PM

Just one opinion.

Here's mine. Idaho is beautiful. Amazing sunrise and sunsets. In the desert, away from all the light pollution, you can see billions of stars. It is mind-blowing to the point that it is overwhelming.

Winter's are cold and snowy, but if you love skiing or any other outdoor winter sports, it's heaven. World-class fishing. Gorgeous mountain views. Waterfalls. Hiking. In southeast Idaho you have an epic view of the Tetons.

Please let's keep in mind that, just like every state, there are all kinds of people for better or worse.

It happens that they've had a line of nutcases in office lately, but that doesn't mean that the whole state is filled with nutters, even if it seems that way on the media.

Here's my disclaimer: Born and raised in Idaho. I've been a Californian for 15 years. Both states have their pros and cons and I love them both.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2015 08:08PM by Queen of Denial.

Posted by: Exdrymo ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 11:23AM

How's the golf?

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 11:11AM

Clearly you have not traveled much in Idaho.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 07:55PM

Wull it's a lot like Arizona. Folks who see nothing but the southern deserts would think that's it, enough already, been there done that, get me outta here.

It's really a beautiful place.

But with gawdawful winters.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 08:06PM

Perhaps they should read the Constitution before going forward with this nonsense.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 08:10PM

as it is in the article, it actually means "we want to be Christian only but have to make it sound like we're accepting of Jews as well."

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 08:13PM

I guess that means the Mormons better clear out of Dodge!!!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 09:46PM

I recognize them. I've seen their kind before.

Posted by: cakeordeath ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 09:54PM

I was an RM attending Ricks College in the early 80's when I found a wonderful lass who liked things I liked and we began dating. A few weeks into our relationship, we attended a dance on campus. As we were dancing, some puke with a BOM steps in and places it between my date and I and says we are too close together. I'm not a small guy and I begin to realize that I'm going to kill this puke. I can see the fear in his eyes.

The guy relents and I make sure he knows he is going to pay for this interruption. I never see him again. Never.

This lass and I are now celebrating our 33rd year together without some lame ass twerp telling us we are dancing too close together. BYU-I or Ricks College as I knew it can all be lost in a flood for all I care.

Posted by: Ex-Sis Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 11:51AM

Congratulations!

A bldg on campus is named after one of my relatives; sorry about that. I've been there one time for a youth conference and was in trouble the entire time, for attracting too many boys... dancing, they came to the dorms, on the bus... Isn't that part of youth conference? Mingling with the opposite sex? Nope. I was very glad to leave the state.

There are beautiful portions of Idaho. I haven't seen them yet...

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 11:23AM

Now I know why he was so messed up...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 11:24AM by anybody.

Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 11:35AM

My wife grew up in Idaho. Now it's all starting to make sense....

Posted by: Tikbalang ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 11:40AM

Along the lines of what koriwhore said......way to many mormons live in Idaho for it to be considered a Christian State....we all know mormons aren't Christian and there are a lot of mormons in Idaho....so they're disqualified from the get go.

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 11:51AM

They seem to have forgotten this little gem from the US Constitution:

Amendment I

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;..." etc

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 12:10PM

Modern Christians seem to think that being a good Christian means walking around with a stick up your ass, telling other people to go to hell and pretending your beliefs make you a better person.

Back in the day, a good Christian was someone who treated others with respect, had charity for everyone, and was willing to turn the other cheek. Christians actually read and heeded the Bible, instead of hurling it at their perceived enemies.

If Idaho wants to be a Christian state, then feed the poor, clothe the naked, care for the sick, and condemn those who parade their wealth and abuse those of lesser economic status to them. It's what you do, not what you believe, that matters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 12:11PM by axeldc.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.