Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ultra ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 01:23PM

1. Although Joseph Smith is now a God and was semi-Devine while alive...he still had to put his shoes back on one at a time after having a trist with one of his wives.

Stuff like this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 01:40PM

There is a book called "Joseph Smith, Scientist" by John A Widtsoe, one of the 12 in the middle part of last century who has a science bldg at BYU named after him.

So anyway, I got the book from the library one day and gave it a read. Wow. JS is no scientist and Widtsoe is an idiot in case anyone was wondering.

Posted by: Ex-Sis Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 01:46PM

Thanks for the laugh! Yet another book I don't need to peruse. :)

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 01:54PM

Maybe we should track down a copy and send it to Jimmy Fallon for his "Do Not Read" list.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 05:05PM

Here's where you can go to not peruse it:

http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/34362/pg34362.html

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 08:18PM

Widtsoe is much more known for his very restrictive stance on the Word of Wisdom which was often derided as "The Word of Widtsoe".

Posted by: jcrichards ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 01:54PM

Joseph Smith lifted a lot of his doctrines from books like "Philosophy of a Future State".

https://archive.org/stream/philosophyoffutu00dick#page/n9/mode/2up

Posted by: lush ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 02:17PM

Facts 1 thru 34 are just a list of his known wives. Shocker

Posted by: elbert ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 02:56PM

I wonder: is there a mention of his almost being castrated and, better yet, why? An interesting tidbit about the"beloved" prophet. Would Deseret News review a book that was unsympathetic (read 'truthful') of JS?

Date: February 25, 2015 03:57PM

I'm sure all of these are included in the "little known facts" book:

The first vision was made up years after it supposedly happened.
He had sexual relations with other men's wives.
Much of the temple endowment was stolen from the mason ritual.
He misled and cheated depositors in his Kirkland Bank fiasco.
He has sex with unmarried girls less than half his age.
The "golden plates" had nothing to do with the Book of Mormon.
He couldn't read Egyptian Hieroglyphics even with god's help.

And on and on.....

Follow up: After reviewing some of the "little known facts" included in the book on Amazon "Look Inside", I feel a more appropriate title would have been '500 Totally Useless Facts About Joseph Smith'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2015 04:05PM by Templar.

Posted by: Kaitlyn ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 04:21PM

So he was visited by 117 angels. I wonder if they could all dance on the head of a pin.

Date: February 25, 2015 04:28PM

I bet they don't even have the fact that he "translated" the BoM with his face buried in his hat.

Date: February 25, 2015 04:32PM

I note using Amazon "Look Inside" that the authors state on page 261 that: "Joseph Smith became a 32nd degree Mason on March 15, 1842."

Of course, this is not correct. Joseph Smith became a first degree ("Entered Apprentice") Mason on March 15, 1842 and rose to the sublime or third degree ("Master Mason") the following day. As a 32 degree mason myself, I'm not sure the Scottish Rite was even conferring 32 degrees that early in their history. I am aware that the degrees were completely reworked after Albert Pike became Sovereign Grand Commander of the Scottish Rite's Southern Jurisdiction in 1859 more than fifteen years after Joseph Smith's death.

This doesn't bode well for the author's research and their 500 "facts"!

Posted by: dupsterfnuberdork ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 04:40PM

I am sure the author was less interested in facts as they were in profiting from the idol worshipers of the original LDS profit. Just following his great example!

Date: February 25, 2015 04:42PM

So I'm finding that some of the 500 little known facts aren't even about Joseph Smith at all.

At the top on page 268 is, "On May 27, 1844, just two months before Joseph was murdered, Samuel F. B. Morse sent the first telegraph with this message: "What hath God wrought?" This was a perfect question as to what God had wrought through this mighty prophet."

This has nothing to do with Smith and Morse did not have Smith in mind when he sent that message. Why is this in a book entitled "500 little known facts about Joseph Smith"?

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 04:52PM

5.0 stars on Amazon, 1 reviewer.

I'm waiting for "The life and times of Hopkins, my pet rabbit".

Date: February 25, 2015 04:57PM

They have age comparisons of other famous people to Joseph Smith who didn't become known until after age 38 (the age Joseph Smith died). Again, how are these little known facts about Joseph Smith? They have Noah - age 600 - finished the ark. REALLY???? Yup really.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 05:10PM

Check out pages 8 & 9 about Emma:

"Emma toiled thousands of extra hours so that he would have time to do all that was required of him: translate the Book of Mormon, restore the priesthood, organize the Church, receive all the revelations, print the Doctrine and Covenants, ...travel all over to the assist the Church."

yadda yadda yadda.

TBM's will eat this compilation-crap sandwich up.....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.