Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 02:03AM

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/10-benefits-sleeping-naked-you-probably-didnt-know.html\

1. It is easier.
When you don’t have to worry about sleeping in clothes, things start to get easier. You don’t have to buy pajamas, which can save you money. You have less clothes to wash and less clothes to put away. You may have to clean your bed sheets more often, but not nearly as often as you’d have to wash your pajamas when you run out.

2. It forces you to be ready to go more often.
Some people get off of work, change into their pajamas, and use this as an excuse to stay home the rest of the evening. This can lead to a more sedentary lifestyle, which has been attributed to things like weight gain. When you keep your regular clothes on, you tend to go out more often and that’s a good thing.

3. It can make you feel happier and more free.
Just imagine the feeling of laying in bed naked. You’re free of your pants and underwear. Women, you’re not wearing a constrictive bra. It’s just you sandwiched between two cool sheets. The feeling just makes you want to smile and it makes you feel more free. Everyone can use that kind of good feeling every now and then, and it may even help you be happier as a person.

4. Skin-on-skin contact is the best.
If you’re married, or living with your significant other, sleeping naked gives a greater chance of skin-on-skin contact, especially when it comes to cuddling. This kind of contact can also lead to a more active sex life. All of this releases copious amounts of oxytocin, which is the neurotransmitter that helps you feel those good feelings about your significant other.

5. It could lead to better sleep.
Let’s revisit the scenario I described above. There are no drawstrings or clothes getting tangled in sheets. You don’t have to worry about shirts getting twisted. All of these distractions go away when you sleep naked and it may help you get better, deeper sleep. You don’t need science to tell you that better, deeper sleep only helps you be healthier.

6. It can help your skin.
For once your body gets to breathe. Your private parts, armpits, and feet are generally restricted all day and are often covered by multiple layers, even in the summer time. Give those parts a chance to air out and breathe. This can lower the risk of skin diseases, like athlete’s foot, that result from wet, restricted skin.

7. Helps you regulate your cortisol.
Cortisol is a very strange chemical in the body but it can do a lot of damage. When you sleep naked, it helps keep your body temperature at the optimal ranges so your body can better create cortisol. If you sleep overheated your cortisol levels tend to stay high, even after you wake up. This can lead to increased anxiety, cravings for bad food, weight gain, and more terrible things. Sleep naked so you can keep your body temperature down and sleep well so your body can properly produce and regulate cortisol.

8. Balances your melatonin and growth hormone.
Continuing along that same vein, keeping your sleeping environment below 70 degrees (F) every night can help your body regulate its melatonin and growth hormone levels. These chemicals help the body do things like prevent aging and are essential to good health. When you sleep in clothes, your body heats up and prevents effective use of these hormones. In other words, sleeping with clothes on makes you grow old faster.

9. It can keep your sex organs happier.
For men, the cooler sleeping conditions allows your testes to remain at a cooler temperature. This helps keep your sperm healthy and your reproductive systems functioning as normal. For women, the cooler and more airy sleeping conditions can actually help prevent yeast infections. Yeast grows better in warm, moist conditions. When it’s cooler and dryer, the growth of yeast is prevented.

10. Sleeping in the summer is more bearable.
Summertime is a tricky time to get good sleep. If you don’t have air conditioning, then you may find your bedroom a bit stuffy at night. Shedding those bedtime clothes can help the bedroom feel more comfortable. You may even be able to turn the A/C off on those cooler nights, which can save you a few bucks on your electricity bill. Don’t wake up drenched in sweat again because your thermostat is downstairs and the hot air expands up to your bedroom where the thermostat can’t read the warm temperatures.

With these tips in mind, it’s time to start taking off your clothes at night! Of course, there are times where clothes are preferable. If you are ill or it’s cold outside, then you should sleep with clothes on to help you stay warm and prevent further illness. Otherwise, go commando!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 02:39AM

I cannot even imagine sleeping in clothes of any kind unless there is some kind of illness or cold temperature situation where you need to cover your shoulders and/or your feet.

I think the last time I willingly wore pajamas to bed was when I was a new member of our high school's Student Body Cabinet and members from last year were arranging our semi-annual Kidnap Breakfast. Someone from the current year's Cabinet would call each new member's parents and tell them to unlock the front (or whatever) door by five the next morning...and NOT to tell us! ;) ...and that we would be missing once we got "kidnapped."

My Mom IMMEDIATELY told me...and we rushed out to buy acceptable-for-school, but teenage-sexy p.j.'s!!! :D

The thing was...the new Cabinet coming in, and the "old" Cabinet going out, both got to wear our p.j.'s from the breakfast to the first three periods of class. It was supposed to be a kind of initiation thing...but NOBODY else in our school was EVER allowed to wear p.j.'s to class!!! (After third period, we had to go to the restroom or the gym and change into regular school clothes.)

Other than occasional camping trips, I don't think I've ever worn pajamas to bed since that Kidnap Breakfast!!!

:D

EDIT TO CLARIFY: Kidnap Breakfasts took place at the end of the semester, after school elections which elected the officers for the upcoming semester, and before the semester changed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2015 02:44AM by tevai.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 12:42PM

Question: Since the Elizabeth Smart thing, do they still do kidnap breakfasts?

:: shudder ::

I have issues about being in control of my own choices and have always had those issues. I can't imagine being okay with being dragged out of bed and "kidnapped" early in the morning. A. I am not a morning person, and B. Are you f***ing kidding me? KIDNAPPED? That's just begging for a PTSD anxiety attack/breakdown. I'm feeling anxiety just thinking about it.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 03:01PM

dogzilla Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Question: Since the Elizabeth Smart thing, do they
> still do kidnap breakfasts?
>
> :: shudder ::
>
> I have issues about being in control of my own
> choices and have always had those issues. I can't
> imagine being okay with being dragged out of bed
> and "kidnapped" early in the morning. A. I am not
> a morning person, and B. Are you f***ing kidding
> me? KIDNAPPED? That's just begging for a PTSD
> anxiety attack/breakdown. I'm feeling anxiety just
> thinking about it.

This is exactly the kind of response I was hoping I would receive. I don't think I've ever written about this on RfM before, and I've definitely not written about it elsewhere. Many things (both highly positive, and---in my opinion---also highly negative) have changed in American life since I was in high school. This post was my "off Broadway tryout." ;)

I am also NOT (!!!) a morning person, to the point where---when I was in high school---when we had important tests to take and they started before noon, my Mom would let me stay home "sick" so I could then reschedule the test for another day, beginning AFTER school was over. The difference in my test scores (especially in subjects like math) was extraordinary depending on what time of day I took the test.

It was a different time then, and there was ZERO danger of any of us who grew up in the area we grew up in getting actually kidnapped. It never, ever happened...not to ANYONE in all the years of my growing up---and I still have never heard of even a single kid being ACTUALLY kidnapped from that area to this day. We were able to roam freely, all over the hills of the area, and frequently at what amounted to twenty-four hours a day. It was not unusual for me (and, later, for my younger sister) to get up before dawn because we couldn't sleep, get dressed, leave the house in the total darkness, and go walking in the hills. My sister's favorite walk was to the old movie sets which were on the land which is now the Motion Picture Country Home and Hospital, a couple of miles away from our house. My parents would get up and find one or both of us "missing" and not think a thing about it, 'cause we always came walking in the door a short while later. When we began dating, we did frequently have curfews when we had one-on-one dates, but often it was a matter of reporting in at the agreed-upon time...and then we could leave an hour or two later if we wanted to, though neither of us ever "continued the date" at those times. We were both honorable about how we used the considerable freedom we both had, and neither of us ever abused our privileges.

I don't know when the kidnap breakfasts started, but well before our time, I am pretty sure. (Our school celebrated it's 100th Anniversary last year---it opened October 4, 1914. If you go to http://www.canogaparkhs.org/history.jsp , and especially if you go to the end of the first section and click to get to the subsequent section, you will see Canoga (especially the color photo) as it was when I went there.)

And I very strongly doubt that any of us newbies were "surprised" when we were "kidnapped." This was a long-standing school tradition, and the only question---once the elections were over---was "when???" It was the DAY that was the surprise...not the event itself. (And I know for a fact that every girl who was "kidnapped" "just happened" to be clean, shampooed, and with freshly-brushed teeth, and was wearing a bra and panties under those pajamas, and had "natural" lipstick on and the hair on that pillow when the "kidnappers" walked into the room was freshly combed. The guys might have been a bit scruffier here and there...but not by a whole lot!!! This whole tradition was kind of an award ceremony for everyone to enjoy...including the teachers and administration.)

Part of the [teenage] fun was that wearing pajamas to class was borderline "naughty"---and was, of course, not permitted under any other circumstances. It was a situation in English, or history, or trig class which was "innocent," but with a touch of titillation around the edges as well, and since the people involved were either juniors or seniors, it served as a kind of coming of age acknowledgement, because a number of us in the junior and senior classes would be married (mostly in pretty good marriages, too) before we graduated.

It was a way different period of time.

Thanks, dogzilla. I greatly appreciate the feedback. :)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2015 03:25PM by tevai.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 11:32PM

It's about a birthday kidnap breakfast gone seriously wrong.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 04:16AM

It's my preferred method.

Posted by: sleeping beauty ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 05:39AM

From the time I was a young girl, I have slept naked. With windows open to the cool night breeze and the sounds of the creek below, I love to snuggle under piles of silky soft down comforters caressing my skin! My bed is truly my heaven on earth!

Pillow
Take me
Beneath the folds
Another world grabs hold
Sleep

Blankets
Imprison me
In your heavenly
Soft arms, wrapped securely
Bed

Socks
Cold feet
Warmed by cotton
Eyes droop, thoughts forgotten
Sleep

Tired...
Lost in
The fluffy pillows
And blankets of my
Bed

~Dwok~

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 11:03AM

I sleep nakey all the time, too!!!!

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 11:57PM

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 11:22AM

** Too much information alert ! Do not read … **

The only time I sleep with undies on is immediately after ‘before sleep sex’. As a guy, if you’ve ever rolled over in the night and found yourself stuck to the sheets, you’ll know what I mean. Ouchy! Even washing after doesn’t help, there’s always a little leakage afterwards, and that stuff is like crazy glue. Wearing undies prevents any chance of being jarred awake by an unintentional circumcision.

** I warned you not to read it … **

:)~

Date: February 25, 2015 12:40PM

I don't sleep nekkid because all I can think is, "but what if there's a fire?" I'ma be standing out in the street, watching my house burn down in my birthday suit? Nope, nope, and nope.

I'm all for being nekkid. I'm all for sleeping nekkid. In theory.

I think it's a safety issue. Not that I sleep with my shoes on or anything, but I could roll out of bed, grab the dog, and get out of my house barefoot, in my t-shirt and skivvies.

All of those points in the OP can be arguable. I don't spend money on pajamas now; that's what old, oversized t-shirts are for. Sleep without AC? Are you high? This is Florida. We don't live without AC. The temperature and light can both be regulated and controlled in my bedroom. Believe me, I'm the biggest preacher of "get enough quality sleep consistently" and there's nothing wrong with sleeping nekkid if that floats your boat.

But I've gotta sleep with something on. Especially during menstrual cycles. Betcha didn't think of that, didja?

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 12:49PM

As long as you have a robe nearby, it's no big deal.

Date: February 25, 2015 03:00PM

Well, that's the thing. This time of year, I might have a robe handy. But from March through October, it's not necessary and I'd be hard pressed to put my hands on it, half-asleep in the dark.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 01:47PM

One of the Oscar nominated shorts, "Me and My Moulton" had a funny scene about the risk of sleeping naked because of a house fire. I think as long as you have a robe nearby, sleeping nude is great, especially in the summer. The only time I don't sleep nude is during a certain time of the month that women go through. Even then, the only thing I wear during those few nights is panties.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: February 27, 2015 11:15PM

When I evacuated a house because of an earthquake, I just grabbed the sheet of the bead.

Toga! Toga!

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 12:48PM

It's terrible advice for right now. I'm not sleeping au naturel when it's been 7F at night.

I prefer to sleep in the nude in the summer, but not right now thankyouverymuch.

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 01:27PM

I regretted nudie sleeping once, when the Northridge quake happened. Even at the beach it was super strong/scary.

One of my friends was living at Park Labrea or whatever that hi-rise was. Luckily she had panties on when she woke up outside, on solid ground with her neighbors. :)

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 01:47PM

I would love to be able to sleep nude on a regular basis again.

However, the older I get, the itchier and more prone to eczema outbreaks I become. Sleeping on the same sheets every night for a week or two makes it worse if sleeping au naturale. Changing my pillow case every other night is one thing (it helps prevent acne breakouts if you didn't know) but the whole sheet set? Naw. I'll just buy multiple comfy jams that breathe.

Gotta love living with ultra sensitive skin. :/

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 01:48PM

Been doin' it for 42 years....

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 02:02PM

I've been sleeping nude for over 30 years. Occasionally I would have to wear something but at most it was underwear. This is usually when I was sleeping in same room with someone that was not going to ever be a sex partner. When I was married to a TBM, she had major issues with it saying it was evil.

The last few years have been interesting. Apparently between my flannel sheets and me, a lot of static electricity is generated. In a word: shocking!

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 02:17PM

Been married for over 45 years, it's nude as a rule with an occasional t-shirt for warmth.

When visiting in someone's home, I always have a pair of gym shorts available to put on if I have to get up in the middle of the night to go to the rest room.

Another thing, I go out and work on forest fires. When it's late in the season, i.e., September/October in Idaho/Washington/Montana, I've found it warmer to sleep in the nude, otherwise your t-shirt gets damp from sleeping and when you get out of a sleeping bag and there is frost on the tent, things get mighty cold. A dry shirt on bare skin starts warming things up right away.

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 07:14PM

It feels weird to try to sleep completely nude and not having any support. It's nice for me to just wear boxer briefs though for the support.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2015 07:14PM by 48erhater.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: February 25, 2015 11:46PM

When I was a lad of 12 I read a book by the illustrious Ben Franklin where he encouraged "air bsths" and nude sleeping.

For most of the next 40 plus years I slept nude.

As far as the fire worry. I keep my go bag handy with a full change of clothes and other essentials.

Posted by: greenAngel ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 06:42AM

i'd love to sleep nude but as one of those females blessed with fibrocystic breasts, I can't stand to sleep without support. So a soft but supportive bra for me at night...sigh.

i get pretty jealous of ladies who can skip the bra at night!

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 10:06AM

I recall having read at one time an interview with a young teenage nudist who had often appeared completely nude in nudist magazines and yet could not imagine not sleeping in pajamas. She did not explain why she felt this way nor was she asked.

Apparently for some, this is not a modesty issue.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 07:11PM

It sure makes things easier when getting busy if the clothes are already off when you start.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 07:43PM

My sister and I started sleeping nude as preteens because we thought it was hip. I gave it up long ago, though. Drafts and colds doncha know.

I actually never thought about a house fire. I guess I always figured if my house burned down, I'd have far worse problems than what the neighbors thought of my naked body. (Not that I couldn't just grab the sheet anyway).

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: February 26, 2015 07:45PM

I will take up the sport again.

I was a nudist for years and never wore clothes except in public.

My first honeymoon was spent at every nudist resort we could find on the west coast.

Posted by: alyssum ( )
Date: February 27, 2015 09:54PM

I was raised so conservatively that I didn't know sleeping without a bra was even an option until I went on a mission and had companions who couldn't imagine sleeping WITH one. LOL

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 27, 2015 10:36PM

I awoke once to a fire! on the bed covers.

It is the only time I ever had a candle fire - simply started by making a critical mistake by leaving the lighter next to the burning candle. When the candle burned all the way down, even on the brick mantle, it burst the lighter, which shot fuel, and fire, all over the sheets.

I still usually sleep nekkid, even when sleeping outdoors, in a sleeping bag.

Shirts get tangled and constricting. Shorts-underwear cause excess heat. Socks keep the feet from breathing adequately.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.