Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: January 13, 2018 09:10PM

Regarding the historicity of Jesus...

Many of the things I have posted over the years have been very hard to explain, because it is so difficult for everyone (including Jews, but most especially anyone who doesn't have at least some background in Jewish history) to understand the life and culture of twenty centuries ago in the general area of what is today the nation of Israel and its immediate surroundings.

There was a thread here not too long ago which prompted me to realize that the ketubah (Jewish marriage contract) of Mary and Joseph was critical to the question of whether a single-person Jesus ever existed historically...or not.

If Mary DID exist...if Joseph DID exist...if Jesus DID exist...then that ketubah "should" STILL exist too.

In that thread I blue-skyed that possibly, after the death of Jesus, the ketubah of his parents would (either before, or after, their deaths) be very carefully preserved...

...perhaps given to one of the many Jewish sects of the time, who we know for a fact were ACTIVELY warehousing manuscripts and legal documents in the countless caves (and possibly other safe places as well) not only in [today's borders] "Israel" proper, but in the surrounding areas extending to Egypt, Syria, Lebanon (etc.).

When I posted on that thread, saying that the ketubah of Jesus's parents SHOULD still exist, I did not know about a Jewish woman named Babatha, who lived a few decades later, in the second century CE...

...but tonight I learned, from a Dr. Henry Abramson lecture, about Babatha (who was what we, today, might call "middle class"...she owned properties, and she controlled business properties...and during her life she had a raft of legal issues because of her, sometimes surprising, changing family situations).

Babatha kept her numerous and varied legal papers EXACTLY as I said the Mary/Joseph marriage contract would have been kept. This collection of Babatha's legal papers was secreted in a cave, was discovered in contemporary times, and those papers were then studied and translated. They provide an amazing "You Are There" perspective on family life, Jewish culture, and the plural legalities of that time, which would have been extremely similar during the (some decades before) time period attributed to the life of Jesus.

For anyone who is interested in the question of the historicity (or the non-historicity) of Jesus, son of Mary and Joseph, this (always amusing...there are some things in this lecture which are going to prompt laughter) presentation by Dr. Henry Abramson is important.

No matter what your background, or what you believe, you will come away KNOWING a whole lot more than you did before you saw this.

www.youtube.com (search for: "Who Was Babatha?"...or: Henry Abramson). The presentation is 49:46 minutes long.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2018 03:00PM by Tevai.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: January 13, 2018 09:14PM

Thanks Tevai. Can’t wait to watch.

HH =)

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 13, 2018 09:24PM

That does sound really interesting.

I'll try and check it out tomorrow.

Posted by: still here ( )
Date: January 13, 2018 10:46PM

Tevai, the world (of exmo's and beyond) is a better place for your presence in it.

Date: January 14, 2018 01:22AM

still here Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tevai, the world (of exmo's and beyond) is a
> better place for your presence in it.

Thank you so much, still here...

Your words here mean the world to me. Thank you.

:)

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 11:52AM

still here Wrote:
> Tevai, the world (of exmo's and beyond) is a
> better place for your presence in it.

Here, Here!!!

(Applause for Tevai)

Posted by: paisley70 ( )
Date: January 13, 2018 10:50PM

I'm going to watch this later tonight. Thank-you for sharing.

Cheers.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 12:09AM

I will watch it later, but I am skeptical that such a thing would be likely to have survived after 2000 years. Sounds interesting though.Perhaps the podcast will offer some reasons why it would survive that I hadnt considered.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2018 12:13AM by bona dea.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 12:29AM

"...those papers were then studied and translated."

But most importantly, were they written in Reformed Egyptian?

Oh, come on now, you knew some smart-ass was going to ask. :-)

Date: January 14, 2018 01:32AM

Chicken N. Backpacks Wrote:
> "...those papers were then studied and
> translated."
>
> But most importantly, were they written in
> Reformed Egyptian?
>
>
> Oh, come on now, you knew some smart-ass was
> going to ask. :-)

I THINK he said: Hebrew and Aramaic...but I'm not sure. (I was listening to this as I was working in the kitchen, so I wasn't seeing the visuals, and I was paying attention mainly to those things I had the most interest in.)

So...unfortunately for Mormonism...not Reformed Egyptian...

...but can you imagine what a global sensation would ensue if these ancient Jewish documents had been written in Reformed Egyptian? (After all, according to the OT, the Jews DID spend a few generations in Egypt...so maybe???)

;) ;) ;)

[EDITED TO ADD: Some of the papers were in Greek, so: Hebrew...Aramaic...and Greek.]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2018 07:47PM by Tevai.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 07:29AM

Wherever the Jews went, they were reformers.

Still are to this day.

:D

Date: January 14, 2018 11:51AM

One things Mormons would jump on and go "Seeeee. We are right" is that Babatha was in a polygamous relationship with her second husband. He had another wife.

Date: January 14, 2018 12:17PM

angela Wrote:
> One things Mormons would jump on and go "Seeeee.
> We are right" is that Babatha was in a polygamous
> relationship with her second husband. He had
> another wife.

Polygamy in Judaism is, in general, no longer allowed...

...however, the Mizrahi ("Eastern") Jews---generally those who have lived in Arab lands for centuries (such as the Yeminis and Persians)---do still practice polygamy...

...EXCEPT that, if they emigrate to Israel, NEW "new wives" (which make plural wives) stops at the moment the people involved accept Israeli citizenship. Wives (plural) who exist at that moment are given legal status, but no new plural wives are legally allowed.

Thanks, angela! :)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 12:46PM

Maybe Barbatha was French, and was more a mistress?

Date: January 14, 2018 04:15PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> Maybe Barbatha was French, and was more a
> mistress?

Wouldn't that make her an expatriate Celt mistress, from Roman Gaul??
;)

P.S. [Afterthought: Did Gaul-ish Celts have mistresses?? Disclosure: I know absolutely NOTHING about the sex life of the Celts...ANY Celts.]

P.P.S. [Further afterthought: The French are known for (among other things) their intellectual contentiousness...as in (for example): LEGALITIES. So...you may well be right...the intellectual characteristics of a "French mistress" could also describe Babatha!!]
:)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2018 04:16PM by Tevai.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 04:17PM

I don't think anyone knows very much about the sex life of the Celts.

Date: January 14, 2018 04:23PM

Soft Machine Wrote:
> I don't think anyone knows very much about the sex
> life of the Celts.

My impression, too.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 07:33AM

Wouldn't that be interesting if archeologists ever found the marriage contract? I've long had a feeling that other documents important to Christianity will be found one day.

Date: January 14, 2018 04:22PM

summer Wrote:
> Wouldn't that be interesting if archeologists ever
> found the marriage contract? I've long had a
> feeling that other documents important to
> Christianity will be found one day.

If the ketubah of Mary and Joseph was ever located, it would go a GIGANTIC way towards validating the story of Jesus in the NT.

And I agree with you: there just HAVE TO BE many documents (some of them routine, everyday kinds of records) pertinent to early Christianity which are patiently waiting to be discovered. The up-to-now discoveries appear to be in safe places, so (in my opinion) it is just a matter of time...

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 16, 2018 09:48AM

Tevai Wrote:
> And I agree with you: there just HAVE TO BE many
> documents (some of them routine, everyday kinds of
> records) pertinent to early Christianity which are
> patiently waiting to be discovered. The up-to-now
> discoveries appear to be in safe places, so (in my
> opinion) it is just a matter of time...

The link in the first post was interesting.

I'd have to disagree with that statement above, though.
There don't HAVE to be be any documents pertinent to christianity waiting to be found. There might be some, there might not be.

The biggest problem? Starting around the 3rd-4th centuries CE, once christianity got "big" enough to start trying to define "orthodoxy" and care about its stories, they went after documents in a big way. Ones that the then-in-charge folks didn't like anyway. Gnostic 'gospels' and writings? Burned. Arian writings? Burned. Other 'heretical' writings? Burned.

The few that survived were ones that were either secreted away to be kept from burning, or that had simply been forgotten. We don't have many.

We don't have any original autographic documents of any NT books, for example. From our perspective, one might think that an original 'gospel' written by a disciple of Jesus, or an original letter of the church founder Paul would be lovingly kept and cared for by the believers of the time. Yet not a single one made it (that we know of). Why?

It could be that they didn't care about originals like we do today (though other evidence of the time makes that seem unlikely). It could be that christian "enemies" found and destroyed them (though that also seems unlikely). It could be that church "fathers" intentionally destroyed them, if the originals didn't match the later story (there's no evidence for this, it's entirely speculation). We just don't know. But we do know that original documents from "early" christianity are entirely lacking. Which makes it seem a bit unlikely that some hidden ones are out there waiting to be found.

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 11:26AM

That's interesting.

Here's something I saw on TV recently.

The host said that Jesus was probably born 4 BC, and in the fall, because John the Baptist was born in the spring.

And it wasn't 3 Kings, but possibly several wise men that may have visited in a house, not the manger.

Date: January 14, 2018 11:48AM

Thanks Tevai. Watched a couple of his videos already. Very interesting.

Date: January 14, 2018 03:10PM

I watched it last night. The insights into women at the time were really interesting. Thank you

Posted by: MarkJ ( )
Date: January 15, 2018 11:12AM

The survival of Babatha's records were a one in hundred million type event. Even if thousands of these records were still extant today, the chance that one of them would be Mary's and Joseph's would still be small.

The Gospel of Mark is generally considered to be the oldest of the gospels and it has neither birth nor resurrection narratives. That suggests to me that the exceptional nature of Jesus was not known at his birth and that his parents had no reason to take exceptional steps to document their relationship and family status. Indeed, as Jesus himself said, "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

(This contrasts with Joseph Smith's doctrine that this world is for building up our kingdoms, acquiring as much as we can, and then having it all sealed to ourselves for use in the next world.)

What does impress me about Babatha's records is that it is another proof of the high level of literacy among the Jews. It has been suggested that the Judean population was the most literate population on Earth in the 1st century AD (and had been for centuries - no need for "Reformed Egyptian" for record keeping). This literacy and the fact that Judea was at the nexus of the Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Babylonian, and Persian cultures and that the Mediterranean ports of Judea brought in traders on the Silk Road from as far away as China and India in the east as well as from North Africa and Atlantic ports of Europe and Britain from the west, means the Judean population was exposed to perhaps the richest diversity of cultures possible. Jesus taught people who were not ignorant peasants of some little backwater, but rather well-informed, literate citizens of a kingdom at the center of the world. Their literacy and dedication to learning established a self-identity so strong that it survived not only repeated invasions and culture imperialism, but eventually complete destruction and diaspora. If you wanted a clear,coherent message that could reach the world and spoke to the world, 1st century Judea would have been a great place to start.

Date: January 15, 2018 01:52PM

MarkJ Wrote:
> The survival of Babatha's records were a one in
> hundred million type event. Even if thousands of
> these records were still extant today, the chance
> that one of them would be Mary's and Joseph's
> would still be small.

Were the historical situation in a different place, with different people (who had different religious laws), and (perhaps) at a different time in history, I would agree that the chances of discovering the ketubah ("Jewish marriage contract") of Mary and Joseph would be as you say here: "small."

However, in THAT place, and with THAT people (specifically: Jews), and at THAT time---of intense inter-Jewish upheaval (Jews were changing Jewish religion and social culture at an intensely rapid rate, while simultaneously, as a "macro" group, engaged in intense Jewish rebellion against the Romans)---the mathematical odds shift dramatically.

> The Gospel of Mark is generally considered to be
> the oldest of the gospels and it has neither birth
> nor resurrection narratives.

Neither of which have anything to do with Jewish documents or Jewish law, which is what we are talking about in this thread.

> That suggests to me
> that the exceptional nature of Jesus was not known
> at his birth...

Again, this has nothing to do with Jewish documents or Jewish law.

> ...and that his parents had no reason to
> take exceptional steps to document their
> relationship and family status.

This is the fundamental point that you, as a non-Jew, do not understand. A ketubah ("Jewish marriage contract") is not an "exceptional step" or an "exceptional document"...it "IS" the marriage...to the point that, without it, the "marriage" (for all practical purposes) does not exist. [The practical Jewish logic behind this is that it doesn't matter for Jewish men because, under Jewish law, they can be polygamous...but for women, the marriage IS the ketubah. Without that ketubah, and going strictly according to Jewish law, marriage for a woman does not exist. This has been modified in more modern times, especially since the introduction of secular marriage laws which involve their own documentation, and most especially since the Holocaust (where virtually all of the ketubot of Jews caught up in the Holocaust were either lost or destroyed), but in the first century of the Common Era, a ketubah (for a woman) WAS her "marriage." Without it, she had no more legal status, or legal rights, than did a prostitute or a slave.

> Indeed, as Jesus
> himself said, "Do not store up for yourselves
> treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy,
> and where thieves break in and steal. But store up
> for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and
> rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not
> break in and steal. For where your treasure is,
> there your heart will be also."

This has nothing to do with Jewish law, or with the practical necessity of a Jewish woman in historical times needing to keep her ketubah close and safe for all the time she is married. (Should her husband die, the legalities specified in the ketubah for her benefit would be very quickly taken care of, and after that, it would be an important "keepsake," but not so stringently vital---although it may well turn out to be "stringently vital" to her descendants. In very recent world history, one of the practical problems that former Soviet Jews often encountered when they emigrated to Israel was that there were few of them who brought their family ketubot with them...mostly because the ketubot did not exist anymore. These self-identified Jews had an unbelievably difficult time becoming Israeli citizens because their "status" certification as Jews was under the direction of the Chief Rabbinate (an Israeli government function), and the Chief Rabbinate was requiring AT LEAST three generations of ketubot before they would sign-off on a Russian Jew's religious status as a Jew. Enormous problems for EVERYONE...some of them (to my knowledge) still not solved to this day (especially if the Chief Rabbinate would not accept CONVERSION-to-Judaism attempts, which happens).

> ...

> What does impress me about Babatha's records is
> that it is another proof of the high level of
> literacy among the Jews. It has been suggested
> that the Judean population was the most literate
> population on Earth in the 1st century AD (and had
> been for centuries - no need for "Reformed
> Egyptian" for record keeping). This literacy and
> the fact that Judea was at the nexus of the Greek,
> Roman, Egyptian, Babylonian, and Persian cultures
> and that the Mediterranean ports of Judea brought
> in traders on the Silk Road from as far away as
> China and India in the east as well as from North
> Africa and Atlantic ports of Europe and Britain
> from the west, means the Judean population was
> exposed to perhaps the richest diversity of
> cultures possible. Jesus taught people who were
> not ignorant peasants of some little backwater,
> but rather well-informed, literate citizens of a
> kingdom at the center of the world. Their literacy
> and dedication to learning established a
> self-identity so strong that it survived not only
> repeated invasions and culture imperialism, but
> eventually complete destruction and diaspora. If
> you wanted a clear,coherent message that could
> reach the world and spoke to the world, 1st
> century Judea would have been a great place to
> start.

I totally agree with this. It is one reason (a very minor one, but it IS one of the reasons) I became a Jew.

One additional point: When the recent California wildfires were burning, I related a story here on RfM that happened when I was growing up. There was an out-of-control wildfire burning then, with mandatory evacuation orders, and firefighters were going from house-to-house, breaking in, and checking to see if there were any people still inside. While they were inside, they were grabbing framed photos from the walls, as well as anything else which was easily portable and seemed of special importance to the family. What I did not say in that post (but that I was thinking of) was that the firefighters in that wildfire WERE grabbing framed ketubot from the walls when they found them (because they understood their importance). Most firefighters are not Jewish (though some are, of course)...but pretty much everyone who lives in a substantially-Jewish area learns that, in an emergency such as a wildfire, you grab the ketubot on your way out the door.

It would have been exactly the same back in the first century CE. There is some chance (and I, personally, think it is a fairly good chance, all of the facts considered) that the ketubah of Mary and Joseph still exists, because the Jewish man named Jesus was, in his own local area, something of a local rock star, and anyone who cared about Jews or Judaism would have instinctively, without even a mini-second of thought, protected the ketubah of his parents, or done whatever was necessary to get it to a safe place.

Maybe not...

...but maybe.

Just maybe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2018 02:04PM by Tevai.

Date: January 15, 2018 03:14PM

I tend to agree with that and even if one were found with the names Mary and Joseph along with the fathers' names, we still have the problem that there were millions of people with those names because there were fewer given names then. Even sisters sometimes had the same name. We also need to remember that two millenia have passed and during that time there have been a lot of wars, natural disasters which wuld destroy things.Then there are the ravages of time

I remember the Talpiot Tomb which contained the names Jesus, several Josephs, Marys etc. Same problem. Those names were so common that it could easily be the tomb of another family. Since there is no reason to believe that a poor family from Nazareth would be buried in a rich man's tomb in Jerusalem, it probably.is unrelated

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2018 03:31PM by bona dea.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.