Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 08:08PM

I just wanted to say that, as I type this, I'm braising some short ribs, drinking some wine and my formerly TBM wife has joined me. What's more, we bought it all today, on a Sunday. No one in the family has gone to church in quite some time, and we're all getting along better and better all the time. We're more satisfied with life than we ever were as active Mormons.

The best advice I ever got on this board was to be patient with my wife, to not be insistent that she see things my way, to show absolute respect for her right to believe what she wants, and to only discuss problems with Mormonism when she brings them up. It has taken a few years, but it's been worth the wait.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: angela ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 08:09PM

Enjoy dinner!! :)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 08:17PM

Heathens!!

Doing heathen things!!

Exmo Heathens are 15-0 this season!!!

Go, Heathens!!!

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 08:23PM

Blasphemy!! Wine with ribs? It's BEER with ribs. I guess we can forgive you because you're new to this. Congrats.

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 08:28PM

We left when our kids were 9,7, and 5. While in we worried about our kids growing up to be less than straight arrows.

After leaving, one more son joined the family.

They all turned out great, tonight for dinner we are making chicken and potatoes for the second son who we are visiting. He has 2 sons of his own. We stepped in to help with household management for a little bit and give him and his wife some time off.

No mormons down to the latest generation!

Date: January 07, 2018 08:47PM

I have 5. The two oldest, 19 and 17, are living elsewhere for school, and claim no religion.

My 15 year old actually goes to seminary because he made a deal with the teacher, who is also our neighbor. He does not, however, claim to be Mormon, nor does he attend on Sundays, or even want to.

My youngest is 5. He occasionally wants to go to church so that he can wear his "classy clothes", but then will change his mind, saying "I don't like when they sing those Jesus songs."

Date: January 07, 2018 08:37PM

New indeed. I tried beer for the first time about 6 months ago, while on a work trip to Germany. It was a hefeweizen, and delicious. I've been sampling as many different kinds as I can ever since.

Oh, and it's always beer with the bbq pork ribs, but this particular recipe called for wine as part of the braise, I figured that there's no reason to let the rest of the bottle sit unused!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 08:45PM

Sure... Well, RMs do learn how to rationalize...

Date: January 07, 2018 08:57PM

I have to assuage my conscience somehow!

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 08:49PM

Aah. I remember my first trip to Germany. Landed in Munich. The line for customs overlooks the food court area 3 floors down. I remember commenting on the outbound Germans eating pretzels and drinking good German beer at 8 AM. I commented on them drinking that early. 2 and a half weeks later, on our return flight, I was the guy eating a pretzel and drinking a beer at 8 am.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 09:19PM

Good for you! I had Shepard's pie and a rye ale....prefect Sunday fare.

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 10:07AM

I like the notion of buying those things on Sunday but here in Utard we have to plan ahead to buy those evil, wonderful, spirits.

Posted by: noone ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 04:20PM

I am glad the advice helped you and that your life is so pleasant now.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 04:51PM

Congratulations on getting out, and keeping your family together. Hopefully, your 15-year-old will quit seminary. What kind of a "deal with the Devil" would trap a teen into enduring seminary??

Posted by: JudyQ ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 07:02PM

Good for you! I'm drinking coffee and totally enjoying it! Also a glass of wine every once in a while. Enjoy the new found freedom!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.