Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 10:57AM

I was surprised to get a Mormon.org advert on my FB that showed happy teenagers sitting in a semicircle. It claimed that Mormons' "early morning seminary" gave children an opportunity to grow spiritually.

(On my way to work every day at approx. 5:45, I have to pass the LDS church in my Georgia town. I have to hit the brakes because a line of cars is always trying to turn left into the church in order disgorge their kids in the parking lot.)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jkjkjkjk ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 11:29AM

You should be able to click the x in the right corner. It will then give you the option to block all ads from this group. It will ask you a reason and you can pick a fun one, against my views, offensive etc...

Date: September 14, 2013 08:30PM

Yeah, I had already done that. I do that for all the pro-Mormon adverts.

Posted by: jbug ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 06:08PM

Yuck...I call it "Propaganda class" and am very glad we no longer have seminary aged kids.

Posted by: Z ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 07:27PM

I don't know what you are all on about. Seminary was the absolute best for me! Learning all about Kolob, and how you have to shake everybody's hands to make sure they aren't evil spirits that don't have bodies, that the Garden of Eden was/will be in Missouri, that people who are BIC are more capable of being good people than converts (Believing Blood), that there are other planets with humans on them that Jesus rules over and that we'll get planets of our own eventually. (I always imagined myself creating a star-wars-esque planet, 'cause lightsabers are just too cool)

My shelf filled up fast and busted to pieces from all that stuff I got out of seminary. It was great!

Date: September 14, 2013 08:32PM

I'm not saying that I didn't have a good time myself back in the mid-60s when we learned from "The Restored Church." That's the one that had pictures of Joseph Smith translating the BoM by looking through spectacles, and pictures of Adam-ondi-Ahman and all that stuff. We talked about the so-called "mysteries" all the time. All that stuff is hush-hush now.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 07:32PM

That must have been a bit creepy for you being targeted like that.

Posted by: kj ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 07:33PM

I guess he was inspired to share the ad.

Lucky me.

Edited: it appears he liked it and it posted automatically.... I read some of the comments.....One comment: "why are the all the kids white?" mormon.org is promoting the ad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2013 07:39PM by kj.

Posted by: BG ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 08:21PM

F*@K Seminary. What a waste of kids lives.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 08:24PM

I wonder who they are promoting that to? Inactives? Teens with Mormon friends? Parents?

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: September 15, 2013 01:19AM

Early morning seminary may not be good for teens who don't get enough sleep as it is.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/new_scientist/2013/04/teenage_sleep_patterns_why_school_should_start_later.html

Some high schools have now started classes later in the morning.

Posted by: scmd not logged in ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 03:42AM

The picture wasn't realistic. From what I remember of my seminary days, at least half of the students literally slept through seminary on a regular basis. They didn't even pretend to be awake. They put their heads down on their desks and slumbered blissfully until someone tapped them on their shoulders and told them it was over. After the fact, I felt sorry for the teachers. What does a person do when called to a position to teach young people in the early morning hours who desperately need sleep. Not one of the seminary teachers I had was obnoxious about it. To the best of my knowledge , no parents were ever called with complaints about their sleeping kids. Sleeping students were allowed to sleep, and we graduated along with everyone else. I remember one visit from someone from the stake presidency. We were told in advance that this was happening. Some of the usual slumberers stayed home that day, but others managed to stay awake just to keep the teacher out of trouble.

Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 09:08AM

I just noticed a room full of early morning seminary students on my way to work on a recent weekday, at The Institute of Religion. Not affiliated with the local higher educational institution...but the LDS's sign makes that a difficult distinction to make!

So I counted perhaps 5 heads in the well-lit room - but the parking lot had perhaps 15 cars. There must be another classroom on the backside of the building?

Amazes me that high schoolers will attend - and at that early hour...oh, my!

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 09:14AM

It's just another thing for Mormons to brag about. "Look at how spiritual and dedicated our youth are! Find me another religious youth group that meets this early!"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.