Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 04, 2018 02:32PM

"If Christ were here now there is one thing he would not be: a Christian."

~ Mark Twain

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: January 04, 2018 05:11PM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "If Christ were here now there is one thing he
> would not be: a Christian."
>
> ~ Mark Twain

If Yeshua ben Yosef were here now, he would be an IKAR Jew. (Seriously.)

IKAR (means "essence" in Hebrew) was founded in 2004, in Los Angeles, by Rabbi Sharon Brous, and it is VERY swiftly transforming Judaism across the United States and in Jewish "outposts" elsewhere in the world.

IKAR calls itself "post-denominational," and it actually is---taking the best of Judaism and running with it, while leaving the not-so-good stuff in its historical place (as in, mostly, a kind of cultural "museum": something to look at and learn from, but not necessarily to follow).

It is having a transformative effect on all of the Jewish movements (especially because it is attracting many of the most intelligent, most creative, most free-thinking, most educated, and most potentially active Jews---with an age-range emphasis on millennials.)

Date: January 04, 2018 06:58PM

Thanks for sharing that Tevai. I had not heard of IKAR before reading your post here.

Interesting movement for sure.

On its web page it states, "Our Jewish story calls us to become agents of social change whose fiercest weapons are love, faith and holy hutzpah.” –Rabbi Sharon Brous 

Date: January 04, 2018 07:33PM

You are welcome, Amyjo...

I thought you might like it!

:) :) :)

Date: January 05, 2018 11:44AM

My description of some of the many "kinds" of Jews attracted to IKAR should have included Eric Garcetti (Mayor of Los Angeles), who is an active member of the expansive IKAR "congregation."

If you are not an Angelino (which means: the name "Garcetti" doesn't ring any bells in in your memory, because "Garcetti" is a now, historical by generations, Los Angeles surname), this might be the first time you've heard about our 47-year-old mayor...

...but it is unlikely to be the last. What is most important about him in the context of this thread, is how he is totally Jewish (matrilineal Jew...a born-and-raised Jew who is actively Jewish)...yet when he was elected mayor (our first elected Jewish mayor), few people in the Southland were consciously aware of this. Not that anyone in Southern California cared particularly, it's just that his mixed heritage is so commonplace here that it literally was not news (not even the fact that he was our first elected Jewish mayor...and only our second Mexican-American mayor in over a century).

Part of this is that his ancestry is Mexican-Hispanic (his appearance is kind of film- and recording-star Hispanic, and he speaks fluent Spanish)...Italian (from whence came his surname)...and Russian Jewish.

He was born in Good Samaritan Hospital (as was I), and raised in the San Fernando Valley (me, too)...

...and the prognosticators are already predicting what they consider to be an eventual, and fairly inevitable, run for the U.S. presidency.

Our first Jewish/Mexican/Italian president...maybe???

So remember these words, dear reader...because you heard them, here on RfM, first!!!

:D

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2018 11:46AM by Tevai.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 12:30PM

Tevai Wrote:
> Our first Jewish/Mexican/Italian
> president...maybe???

Not that I don't think that would be an accomplishment (much like our first woman president would be), but...

I personally look forward to the day that none of us Americans *care* what ethnic/cultural/ancestral heritage a candidate has -- they only care about what they'll do in office.

:)

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 12:34PM

American Jesus would drive a full-blown 1970's caddy, decked out with steer horns, gun racks (full of guns of course), and chauffered by a hot blonde, and with bumper stickers saying, "I AM perfect, and I do the forgiving!"

Filipino Jesus would drive a jeepney covered in crosses and virgin Mary stickers, with loudspeakers attached playing the Hail, Mary.

European Jesus would walk, bloodied and beaten, carrying a cross (with wheels to make it roll easier, the one point given to "driving," but no motor 'cause gas is too expensive there).

And so on...

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: January 04, 2018 07:07PM

He'd drive (you) crazy.
Just like me. Wild!

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: January 04, 2018 08:15PM

Well I've heard of hutzpah but this is the first I've heard of holy hutzpah.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 04, 2018 08:46PM

Is it anything like choly chutzpah?

Date: January 04, 2018 08:50PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> Is it anything like choly chutzpah?

A beautifully creative play on Jewish words...

:D

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: January 04, 2018 08:47PM

... he would yell, "MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!"

(Then watch out as he calls down from the sky extremely dangerous thunderbolts and poisonous frogs.)

Date: January 04, 2018 08:51PM

Fine! So describe his putter!

Date: January 04, 2018 08:54PM

lurking in Wrote:
> ... he would yell,
> "MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!"
>
> (Then watch out as he calls down from the sky
> extremely dangerous thunderbolts and poisonous
> frogs.)

Or "MEEEEEE-fucking-EEEEEEEEEEE!!"

Date: January 04, 2018 08:56PM

Well if I was Jesus I'd never sit in the driver's seat.

I'd drive from the back seat and watch all the double-takes from fellow drivers followed by their shouts and cries of my holy name.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: January 04, 2018 09:18PM

It depends on where - and whom - he's driving and how much he can afford and weather he's showing off, like with the top down.

What's he bumping?

Date: January 04, 2018 09:54PM

If Jesus is co-pilot, swap seats.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 12:05AM

Jesus would drive a christ-ler.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 05, 2018 12:21PM

Like he stole it!!...He is after all, omnipotent!!

Date: January 05, 2018 12:49PM

When Jeebus visits Cuba he will insist on nothing less than faithfully restored 57 Chebby con tuck and roll upholstery y Tito Puente blasting from the boom box.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.