Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tiredofhiding ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 04:24AM

So you are telling me...

AFTER we turn in our letters of resignation for the whole family ..

They mail us a letter trying to scare us about eternal ramifications of our decision and we get the run around telling us it is a local matter....

Then we get the run around from the local ward who may or may not try and make contact with us one last time to see if it's really us, if we really want to do this and if this one last sharing of a testimony or chocolate chip cookie might change our minds ...

And finally we get the letter telling us it's done (even though it was officially done the day they received the letter we first sent in)...

But it isn't really done... We just get moved from the active files to some sort of ghost files for not inactive but those that requested memberships removed. All our information is still there ...

But when we die ... they are just going to go re-dunk someone in a not zombie way on our behalf and do endowments and sealings and the whole hokey pokey anyhow? Like .... So what's with the scare tactics when it comes to the "eternal ramifications of your decision to leave the church and have your temple work undone"? They just redo it for you anyway...

(I can't sleep tonight and my brain won't turn off)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 04:31AM

Tithes,tithes,tithes,tithes,tithes,tithes,tithes,tithes
tithing,tithing,tithing,tithing,tithing,tithing,tithing
tithing..........................................................

Gosh wants yer $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 08:12AM

breedumyung Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tithes,tithes,tithes,tithes,tithes,tithes,tithes,t
> ithes
> tithing,tithing,tithing,tithing,tithing,tithing,ti
> thing
> tithing...........................................
> ...............
>
>
> Gosh wants yer $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
==============================
But they don't make no $$$$$ off of dead folks, do they?
Could that be just so they count them as morgies and make the numbers look better?

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 11:44AM

No, they make money off those who have to be full tithe payers so they can do your temple work.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 04:34AM

Yeah, I'd say that's a pretty good summary.

: )

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 04:35AM

tiredofhiding Wrote:

> (I can't sleep tonight and my brain won't turn
> off)

you would / will never make it as a MORmON with a brain like that !!

Posted by: sunnynomo ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 12:25PM

My Pops calls that the committee meeting in your brain!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 04:36AM

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 04:53AM

:)

The church/cult is not good for much, but it is ALWAYS GOOD FOR A LAUGH.

Posted by: ExMoBandB ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 05:10AM

Exactly. The cult continues to behave as though it has authority over you. But--it's all made up. Mormons can't tell God what to do. The cult has nothing to do with how you love, how you worship, or how you raise your family. It's all just a big nothing. You don't have to jump through any hoops. The only reason we write letters of resignation is to keep the cult from bothering us and excommunicating us. We also write letters to make US feel better. I did not write my letter to the Mormon church--though it was addressed to them--I wrote it to put in writing and clarify exactly WHY my children and I were resigning, and exactly what the cult did to us. I don't care if the COB read it or not--I wanted a copy to keep in our files, for anyone to read, if they wonder why we left. It was therapeutic to officially resign. I didn't care if the bishop came over for one LAST visit, or if the lying cult calls it "name removal". We QUIT!

Posted by: tiredofhiding ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 05:10AM

Well, aren't we just doing them a favor then?

My dear sweet mother in law that I may or may not want to run over with a bus right now is always complaining that she has run out of people in her genealogical search to take names to the temple. I'm just making sure that there are names to take for later!

(side note that is a little funny, she said something about this in front of our oldest and he thought she said gynecological search and he swore he was NEVER going to the temple if they do pap smears there ---he had recently learned a little bit about them because he had to leave the room during a ultrasound of his baby brother when I was pregnant so they could get that part done really quick-)

Posted by: eunice ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 04:16PM

Sounds like we have the same or similar MIL, lol. Just tell yours to wait a few years and "miraculously" she will find that not every ordinance was performed for her ancestors...a confirmation missing here, a sealing missing there. Both with my family and hubby's, they are "discovering" temple work for the dead that was not done. Either the church has been a lousy record keeper or they are purposefully removing ordinances so that the members think they've discovered something new. They are also referring to genealogy/temple work for the dead as "Hastening the Work."

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 10:05AM

Consider it a cancellation from the gym... or the Columbia Record Club. It was a business that you no longer have a need for. It doesn't matter what hoops they jump through. Being a member, or not being a member, the only power they have is the power you give them. Ignore them. And as a non-member, you have more legal standing to keep them from bothering you.

But yeah, it's both sad and comical to see the tactics they use.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 12:23PM

Bingo!

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 12:31PM

Just out of curiosity, if you send your resignation letter to SLC you get a letter back saying it's a local matter.

Why not just send your letter to your local ward and say they get one call to verify it's you and then don't call again?

Posted by: SoCalNevermo ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 03:52PM

>
> Why not just send your letter to your local ward
> and say they get one call to verify it's you and
> then don't call again?

Because the local ward can then sit on it for as long as they want. If it goes through HQ, it will become "official" eventually.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 07:17PM

Also, you would need to know the bishop's home address and send it there since the church buildings themselves have no mail delivery.

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 05:56PM

Remember.

God still loves you, but he's really bad with money.

So god still needs your money.

Posted by: Saucie not at Home ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 08:19PM

Oh yes indeedy my friend, That's why I didn't bother sending

in my resignation..... your name never gets taken off the

church records... I decided I'm out when I told them I'm out

and If I ever hear from any one of them again I'll be happy

to tell them again and again and again. So far , they've left

me alone and its been a while. I love being out.

Posted by: AnonNow ( )
Date: February 13, 2015 11:21PM

tiredofhiding Wrote:
> But when we die ... they are just going to go
> re-dunk someone in a not zombie way on our behalf
> and do endowments and sealings and the whole hokey
> pokey anyhow? Like .... So what's with the scare
> tactics when it comes to the "eternal
> ramifications of your decision to leave the church
> and have your temple work undone"? They just redo
> it for you anyway...

They want to save everybody.

Hmmm, let's see... in the religious world, who was the character that it is said of that he would save everybody?

Nevin

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 14, 2015 01:55AM

Oh, fer crying out loud. They send you one piece of junk mail and maybe ask you if you're sure you want to cancel your membership. You think that's a big hurdle?

Try canceling a cable contract.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: February 17, 2015 01:45PM

Does it really matter? Some have proposed that they have relatives who would "dead dunk" them if they resigned and so would still be a member. But if you don't resign, you're still a member, making that whole proposition moot.

The bottom line is that every single one of us who has been "tainted" by Mormonism will remain so. Period.

So, in my mind (sorry, a very strange place), this mortal coil is all we have. I'd rather resign and not worry about dead dunking just to keep the Morg from my doorstep while I yet live. If they want to inflate their already inflated membership numbers by dead dunking me, why would I care? Dead is dead (my opinion, of course, remember that we're in my mind). I wouldn't be able to care.

Live in the present because that's all we have. To really recover from this Mormon taint, we might just want to think about doing all we can to remove as many traces of that stain as we can, while we live.

And then help the rest as they struggle their way out.

My 25¢ (2¢ just doesn't go as far as it used to!)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.