Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: December 13, 2017 04:01PM

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/byu-cougars/2017/12/12/monson-is-religious-bias-keeping-byu-out-of-a-p5-conference/

Where's the line between "religious freedom" (to discriminate) and suffering the natural consequences?
(Being excluded, because you're intollerant dicks?)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 13, 2017 04:55PM

Why they weren't invited was pretty clear...

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17496085/iowa-state-student-government-opposes-byu-big-12-candidacy

"Student Government's goal is to create a safe and all-inclusive campus where students feel supported to learn, grow and succeed. The Senate finds that Brigham Young University's Honor Code does not communicate nor reflect the values that The Big XII Conference represents."

Date: December 14, 2017 12:36AM

So in summary, "You MORmON bigots can go jerk off in a corner in your "Notre Dame of the West" league.
Hows that workin out for you Cuckold Bull You?

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: December 13, 2017 05:00PM

I was under the impression that the "No Games on Sunday" rule at BYU was a big reason for not getting into a p5. Football-really no issue---others sports, in collegiate competitions have games on Sunday.

Other conference members aren't keen on having to bend over backwards for the Cougars...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2017 05:08PM by csuprovograd.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 14, 2017 03:28AM

csuprovograd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was under the impression that the "No Games on
> Sunday" rule at BYU was a big reason for not
> getting into a p5.

you are grossly discounting the (very unpleasant) nasty MORmON arrogance that other (REAL) schools / colleges would just as soon NOT have to deal with that is the fundamental basis of BYU deservedly being excluded.

> Other conference members aren't keen on having to
> bend over backwards for the Cougars...

Yup! That is it !!!!

Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: December 13, 2017 05:40PM

I would suspect the no games on Sunday rule which interferes with television contracts for individual conferences plays a major role. To cry religious prejudice when Marquette, TCU, Seton Hall, Boston College, Baylor, Notre Dame, St.Louis, St Peters, SMU, DePaul....to name a few religious affiliated schools that have conferences they belong to...seems whining.

Gatorman

Posted by: Stillanon ( )
Date: December 13, 2017 05:46PM

Bottom line- it was all about money. BYU leaders thought that leaving their conference and going "Independent" would make them very rich. They touted the move as being the "Notre Dame of the West". ESPN fell for their BS and gave them a fat contract, based on BYU's promise of bringing them their "15 million member audience". ESPN got scammed (like most converts) and is backing off their TV (and money investment) in BYU. Now, BYU wants to join a power conference. NOBODY wants them. Their arrogance, their support of Prop 8, their Title IX issues, their "bend our skeds for Sunday"crap,etc., makes them poison. The only way I see another Power Conference accepting BYU is that the church pays tens of millions, annually, to take them. The mormon leaders that made the move to "Independence" sure don't seem to be prophetic, discerning, or smart. BYU threw themselves into the deep end and nobody cares enough to throw them a life preserver.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: December 15, 2017 05:04AM

so classic, poetry in motion. Arrogance bears a poor fruit for LDSInc..

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: December 15, 2017 05:22AM

BYU stabbed the WAC in the back, made big promises, signed big contracts, then bailed to be "independent". Pissed a LOT of big players OFF. Not a really good "integrity recommend" to other conferences considering a BYU application. Hubris is a signature characteristic of LDSInc. from the beginning.

Posted by: MeM ( )
Date: December 13, 2017 06:59PM

A Mormon Proclamation to the World: Since we are the true church everyone else must play by our rules. If you won't then you are persecuting us for our religion!

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: December 13, 2017 07:19PM

I read the article and saw no whining only the fact that the former AD interviewed felt that prejudice was the reason they were excluded. He did not talk causes, things he could not change even if he wanted to, only that for whatever reason there was a bias against BYU. Right or wrong, there is a bias against BYU and perhaps they deserve it but we all read articles differently, I guess and it makes a good rant for the board. JMV

Date: December 13, 2017 08:26PM

I find it ironic that the most bigoted and intolerant people complain about being excluded because of their bigoted policies that really target minorities, yet they blame it on reverse bigotry and claim their 'religious freedom' is being violated.

It reminds me of when BYU and the Mormon church, in all of their arrogance, continued to discriminate against blacks for a good 14 years after passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. When the Civil Rights Movement targeted them for being racist and colleges refused to play against a team sponsored by such a racist institution, they finally relented and changed their policies without any kind of an explanation or apology, except to say, "Isn't it marvelous? God, who is the same today, yesterday and tomorrow, said he is finally ok with blacks getting equal rights today, even though he was inexplicably not ok with it for the past 150 years!"

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 13, 2017 11:07PM

Right. I still remember that and I'll bet a lot of other school alums remember that as well. Then add to that all of the other issues that Stillanon mentioned above.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: December 13, 2017 10:09PM

Listen. If you go downtown Jackson Mississippi on a Friday night and scream " I hate Ni**ers!!" and then you get the ever loving shit kicked out of you- it's not because blacks are "biased against you". It's because you're an asshole that needs the shit kicked out of you. As a University, you can't discriminate and play by different rules and expect the rest of the world to acquiesce to your behavior. It's called payback-not bias.

Date: December 14, 2017 01:06AM

×1,000

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 14, 2017 03:32AM

kentish Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I read the article and saw no whining only the
> fact that the former AD interviewed felt that
> prejudice was the reason they were excluded.

Prejudice IS the reason that BYU ended up being excluded -the nasty prejudice that BYU and LD$ regularly exercised against other (REAL) schools / colleges.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 13, 2017 11:50PM

Thanks for the information, koriwhore.

Date: December 14, 2017 01:08AM

Mormons will chalk this up to a marketing opportunity.
Kinda like that whole "excluding blacks from the temple thing" worked out for them.

Date: December 14, 2017 01:33AM

Religious schools play in the Power 5 conferences -- i.e. Baylor, TCU, Boston College, and Notre Dame (which is ACC except for football.) Perhaps BYU should ask itself what the other religious schools are doing right that they are not.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: December 14, 2017 08:50AM

They aren't in a P5 because they aren't very good at sports and they bring very little to the table - no conference really cares about what they believe. Most conferences in the NCAA don't play games on Sunday, so that wouldn't keep them out. Conferences tend to look at how competitive a program will be (in all sports, but mostly the big revenue earners: football and men's basketball) and TV market. Utah is a reasonably large TV market, but half the state only cares about BYU when they are playing against the University of Utah. They can stamp their feet about being overlooked by the Big 12 or PAC 12 all they want, but the fact of the matter is that they really just aren't an attractive option for a conference expansion team.

Posted by: Grits ( )
Date: December 14, 2017 09:56AM

Sparty - you are right not many college football games are played on Sunday during season. Post season an exception. But all the other sports, basketball mens and womens, softball, baseball, volleyball, gymnastics, swimming, etc. These all have Sunday games/meets.

Date: December 14, 2017 10:04AM

I honestly can't believe I forgot about that.

In that case, I still don't think this is the reason they aren't getting an invite to a P5, but it no doubt doesn't help their resume at all.

Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: December 14, 2017 01:08PM

Hey Sparty

What in hell made Rutgers attractive to the Big Ten?

Gatorman

Date: December 14, 2017 01:25PM

The New York/New Jersey TV market for the Big Ten Network, most likely. In my opinion, the conference was perfect once it added Nebraska. Rutgers and Maryland were uninspiring adds.

Date: December 15, 2017 05:49AM

And Maryland has the Baltimore and Washington, D.C. markets. I think Maryland was a better fit in the ACC conference.

Date: December 15, 2017 11:47AM

It was a MUCH better fit in the ACC, though they tended to get steamrolled there, too. They bring Basketball to the Big Ten, but that's about it.

I liked the idea of the Big Ten as a midwestern conference. Nebraska was a perfect fit (I know there was a time that Nebraska wasn't in the conference, but I honestly can't remember it because they are such a natural fit). When they first announced they were adding 2 more, I was hoping that it would either be Mizzou, Iowa State, or one of the Kansas schools (Notre Dame obviously being a pipe dream). Hell, even Army or Navy would be a better add than who we got. Rutgers and Maryland were such obvious money grabs, and terrible fits, that it sort of turned me off to Big Ten athletics for a while.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.