Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 11, 2017 10:46AM

"E.W. Jackson, the Virginia GOP candidate for lieutenant governor, suggested that yoga could open individuals to Satan, according to a report.

Accompanying a profile of Jackson, who has been a thorn in the side of GOP gubernatorial hopeful Ken Cuccinelli, the National Review’s Betsy Woodruff on Wednesday posted excerpts of Jackson’s 2008 book, “Ten Commandments to an Extraordinary Life.”

Including one about the dangers of “emptying yourself” with yoga:

“When one hears the word meditation, it conjures an image of Maharishi Yoga talking about finding a mantra and striving for nirvana. … The purpose of such meditation is to empty oneself. … [Satan] is happy to invade the empty vacuum of your soul and possess it. That is why people serve Satan without ever knowing it or deciding to, but no one can be a child of God without making a decision to surrender to him. Beware of systems of spirituality which tell you to empty yourself. You will end up filled with something you probably do not want,” Woodruff excerpts.

And Jackson doesn’t seem to be a big fan of “most people”:

“[M]ost people are dead spirits. As such they have the nature of Satan who does not want to have anything to do with God or anyone related to Him. Of course they are not aware that they are imbued with the nature of Satan. They would be mortified by the idea of becoming Satanists or devil worshippers. Satan benefits far more from people who do not know they serve him than from those who knowingly bow to him. Your spirit was made for attachment. It is either attached to God or to Satan, but it is not neutral, no matter how much people think themselves to be.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2013/06/ew-jackson-virginia-lieutenant-governor-yoga-satan-092321

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: December 11, 2017 11:09AM

This is why I don't do yoga.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: December 11, 2017 11:31AM

If traditional male Evangelical/Mormon logic is to be believed, Yoga PANTS put me on the fast track to Satan years ago.

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: December 11, 2017 11:31AM

It gets worse! Adult coloring books invite demons into your home!!!

A Mormon woman I grew up with posted an article on Facebook by some nut job that said adult coloring books sometimes have mandala designs to color. Some of the mandalas are Hindu in origin, and Hindus believe in multiple Gods. So obviously coloring in adult coloring books invites demons into your home!

This same woman also sells essential oils and was constantly posting sales pitches. The "demons in adult coloring books" thing was the last straw and I blocked her.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: December 11, 2017 11:39AM

That's funny - Mormons believe in multiple gods, too. They should be all about adult coloring books!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 11, 2017 11:41AM

Good heavens! Thank ghawd for los interwebz!

>
> "Your spirit was made for attachment. It is
> either attached to God or to Satan, but it
> is not neutral, no matter how much people
> think themselves to be."
>

I would never have known the above were it not for the internet. And who is responsible for the internet? Satan or ghawd?

Also, if my spirit is a 'child' of ghawd, it must be ghawd's fault that it, my spirit, can't remain unattached. Why would he, ghawd, set me up like that?

This whole thing of being a child of ghawd seems to be getting more and more complicated...

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 11, 2017 01:03PM

It *is* 2017, isn't it?

And we still have ignorant superstitious nutheads like this running for (and winning) public office?

Really?

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: December 11, 2017 02:45PM

In fairness, the article was from 2013.
Still...

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 11, 2017 02:55PM

Fair enough.
And anyway, it's almost 2018...:)

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: December 11, 2017 02:51PM

YOGA can get [gets] you FREE.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: December 11, 2017 03:00PM

One time on my mission while in Barbados, our investigator asked what the church teaches about satan. My comp and I looked at each other, if only for a moment to decide how to answer.

Next thing I remember is waking up in the "downward facing dog" position and my comp was doing the "extended puppy".

Leave yourself open and Satan leads to yoga as surely as yoga leads to satan.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: December 11, 2017 03:02PM

Well of course depending on the temptress wearing Yoga Pants they can be Hellish HOt! I'm sure some Satanists enjoy Yoga and their pants.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 11, 2017 03:03PM

The church used to (does it still?) condemn meditation because it was an alternative "religion." It was like psychotherapy, which Bruce derided as satanic because it could heal people without the faith/confession/repentance process that the church prefers.

The church views any emotional or healing process that arises from non-church sources as a threat. I guess the evangelicals are pretty much the same in that regard.

In many regards, actually.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: December 12, 2017 02:16AM

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: December 12, 2017 02:27AM

What baffles me is the sheer stupidity of (still) so many people.
I mean : really??????

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 12, 2017 02:50AM

That poor little green guy with bad syntax leads to Satan? You must be thinking of Vader.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.