Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: December 08, 2017 12:45PM

Which do you prefer? I have done both in my life and they both are rough but i think the cold makes all of your ailments about 20 times worse whatever they may be. So the cold might be harder to get through then the extreme heat, what do you think? I don't want to regret moving somewhere too hot and wish i just would have toughed out the winter. Anyone in idaho right now i feel your pain, this is pretty dreary. Anybody do well in this weather?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: December 08, 2017 01:06PM

I moved to Las Vegas on Labor Day weekend, 1998, driving a rental truck and my son, age 20, driving my Chrysler Sebring Convertible.

We got there on Sunday and it was 112 degrees about 2pm. We were able to get into the apartment I rented and unloaded all my stuff, which truthfully wasn't all that much, post divorce and all.

My son said "Are you going to be able to stand this hot weather?" I said "Oh sure" and in the next week or so before I had to start my new job, Las Vegas had 4 days of it's monsoon weather and I started to wonder.

But I got used to it and it was always hotter than I thought I could stand.

I usually came back to Utah a couple of times a year and always tried to avoid winter, although I did come on several Christmas holidays. One winter, I was riding with my daughter and her husband and we got in a wreck, just due to the bad roads. Nobody hurt except the car.

So I finally got old enough to retire and decided I would come back to Utah to play grandpa to 5 grandkids that I didn't know all that well, nor them me.

The first season back, 2015, I had to buy winter clothes and I think I spent $180 +-. And I hated every minute of that first winter.

It makes me tired, cranky and complain-y. So here I am going into my 3rd winter, Salt Lake City has been in the 30's all week, got to be 40 yesterday and I hate it. I never felt this uncomfortable when it was 100+ at 11pm at night after work.

Not sure what I'm going to do but this cold weather is awful for me, at least.

Date: December 08, 2017 01:38PM

Me too, i haven't experienced a hot summer in about 5 years and i remember hating the summers. But these winters kill me every freaking year and this is my fifth one and it just has all sorts of bad effects on me. I don't know if i can keep toughing these winters out i may have to tolerate the hot summers. Thanks for the input, so you would take a hot summer gotcha.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 08, 2017 01:46PM

You can always escape to air conditioning if it's hot. In Maryland we get breaks from the heat, and it never stays hot for long.

Date: December 08, 2017 04:33PM

Good call and the heat doesn't seem to make people's ailments worse like the cold. I heard its all about the pressure changes more than the actual cold but i am not sure if the same type of things happen when its hot.

Date: December 08, 2017 06:10PM

Plus, you normally don't have to worry about driving in heat, you don't have to shovel heat, you don't have to pay an enormous fuel bill that can go on for many months.

Date: December 09, 2017 10:48PM

Mmmmmmm no shoveling that sounds really nice right about now.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: December 08, 2017 05:21PM

Summer:

Do you live in Eastern or Western MD? My mother's family is from Thurmont (Frederick County) and it think it's beautiful there in the summer.

I live in Richmond and have already discussed how hellish it is during the summer. But I kid you not it is actually SNOWING right now. We're supposed to get 4-6 inches over the next 24 hours. I have lived here the bulk of my life and we have never seen the likes of this in the 4+ decades I've lived here. Usually we get no more than flurries in winter. I can only remember 2x in the past nearly 30 years where we got more than an inch in December. I am LOVING this. So beautiful.

Date: December 08, 2017 06:07PM

I live in what's known as central Maryland (or the eastern part of the western shore.) My brother and sister-in-law are across the Bay Bridge on the Eastern Shore. I spend a fair amount of time over at their house, which is on the water. We have nicely balanced four-season weather. Normally it's not too dramatic, although we do get a good old-fashioned blizzard every now and then, along with the very occasional hurricane.

I know what you mean about Virginia heat. I'm not sure exactly where it changes over to southern heat, but the change is dramatic. My brother was working in Charlottesville one summer, and I about wanted to die from the heat. I'll bet that you're enjoying the snow! I'm hoping for some good snowstorms this winter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2017 06:12PM by summer.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 10, 2017 02:00AM

I've spent most of my life in desert country. I would much rather bake than broil.

And I am a total sissy when it gets COLD. I whine about cold toes all winter.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 08, 2017 01:23PM

We had our first winter snow blitz this morning.

It was so bad the snow plows hadn't had time to get out to plow the roads before rush hour. So the roads were packed with fresh snow on top of sheet ice.

It was worse than a slow crawl to work today. Traffic was standstill for most of an hour.

I don't like heat waves either. If I had to take my pick I'd choose neither.

As for Las Vegas you may want to watch online the Lisa Ling CNN special on the homeless in Las Vegas. That ought to deter anyone from moving there who doesn't have something lined up first to go to.

Las Vegas has the 4th largest homeless population in the country. People flock there thinking they're going to make it big, and then find it isn't what they envisioned it would be.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: December 08, 2017 01:29PM

We had that commute on Tuesday in Mpls. I heard the traffic report at 6 and opted to commute to the dining room table. I always bring my laptop home during the winter.

That being said i would rather be cold than hot. I can always add another layer. There is a logical limit to how much I can take off and not frighten the neighbors.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: December 10, 2017 02:04AM

I like to wear layers, so I can take off or put on whatever clothes I need. I wear silk long underwear under my pants, when I'm out and about, and when the office is cold, and no one knows I'm wearing them. I love wool. I layer pajamas at night, when the layers of blankets become too heavy. Cool weather gives me energy. Our whole family loves to ski, cross-country, snow-shoe, and ice skate. I'm sure the cold is worse when you can't keep moving.

I have lived in all climates. In Hawaii and Southern California, with no AC, my toddlers and I wore swim suits all day, and went to the beach, and had a wading pool in the back yard, but the heat drained all my energy. My husband had to put on a suit and tie and go to work, so life was much different for him. Heat tolerance depends on what you are doing.

San Francisco has my most ideal climate. It has the 4 seasons--4 new beginnings--4 wardrobe changes--4 ways NorCal can be beautiful. The temperature is livable all year long. We didn't need AC in the summer, and in the winter it was warm enough for kids ride bicycles to school, wearing a jacket. I love rain, but not flash-floods. I love fog, but not smog. So do most people--that's why the San Francisco Bay Area is so crowded.

Date: December 08, 2017 05:45PM

Idaho winters aren't as brutal as they were in the 1960's and 70's thanks to global warming.

I don't like winters either, but I endure them.

A woman and her mother where I worship have the best of both worlds. They snowbird during the coldest part of winter to Texas. Then spend six months back here during the spring/summer and fall.

They own homes in both places; one in the daughter's name the other in the mother's. So they don't have to pay out of state residency on either property.

Brilliant. :)

Date: December 09, 2017 10:51PM

Yep my grandma did the two properties thing as well. One in bear lake and one in gilbert arizona.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 08, 2017 01:50PM

I am not a fan of winter...but having said that I'm happy living where I do. 3 hours from 2 airports that have flights to warm places in the winter. I'm good with that.

Date: December 08, 2017 04:41PM

If it didn't snow here i think idaho would be an ok place to live year round, maybe with less mormons also.

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: December 08, 2017 02:14PM

I prefer hotter. As long as it's a dry heat (like Vegas) instead of very humid, I find high heat much easier to take than the cold.

Date: December 08, 2017 04:39PM

I would agree i would take dry heat over humidity like in south texas any day. But i think i would take texas rather than an idaho winter.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 08, 2017 02:50PM

Living in a place where Mother Nature makes a good faith attempt on your life several times a year with blizzards is prima facie evidence that (a) you are actually capable of recognizing reality, and (b) you have sufficient problem solving skills to keep yourself alive. No such assumptions can be made of people in, say, California lowlands. They may have those skills, but can't simply take it for granted.

The perfect example of this attitude is Sheriff Marge from the movie Fargo. She just kept on chugging and getting the job done, no matter what.

It's been in the mid 20s at night and upper thirties in the day around SLC lately. In North Dakota, that's referred to as "early April". Put on a sweater and get over it. That's what Sheriff Marge would do.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: December 08, 2017 03:24PM

Exactly, I had one snow day from kindergarten to college graduation. That was the St. Patrick's Day blizzard in the 1960's. We were in school, we did not get out early, just did not have to go the next day.

Date: December 08, 2017 04:37PM

It snowed one day in second grade in gilbert arizona and that was pretty much the only time in like twenty years but it barely snowed. I had it easy back then, idaho is a whole other beast.

Date: December 08, 2017 06:22PM

Ha! Maryland schools shut down with about three inches of snow. We don't do snow here. I love it!

Date: December 08, 2017 06:16PM

The coldest night I remember living in SE Idaho was New Year's Eve, 1979.

It was so fricking cold it got down to -40 degrees fahrenheit.

Had plans to go out that evening. Ended up cancelling those, and stayed in instead. Babysat for someone else who weathered the cold.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: December 10, 2017 01:00AM

I lived in Helena, MT 73-77, remembered a couple times it get down to -40 at night and it warm up -20 for the high the next day.

I always found -40 interesting, its the same in F. and C.

Posted by: Red ( )
Date: December 08, 2017 06:27PM

I absolutely love the hot weather and sunshine of Summer. I can work and play outside, the kids love being out, and there is nothing like sitting in the sun and reading on those long, warm days.

Winter and Spring are absolute hell here though; cold, wet, gray, miserable and lasts for months upon months. I've never seen anyone about it, nor will I, but I suspect I might have seasonal affective disorder, because some years are really hard to get through.

Date: December 08, 2017 06:36PM

The PNW?

Posted by: Red ( )
Date: December 08, 2017 06:38PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The PNW?

You got it.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: December 08, 2017 06:46PM

Autumn and winter here. I own very warm boots, you can even get inserts to put in the microwave that last 4-5 hours. Thick lined socks, ear muffs, scarves, mittens.
They have rubber slip ons that you wear over your shoes or boots that heat up the snow, help melt it, they also have metal spikes on them of different sizes and sharpness.
Don't forget all the different thermals and layers

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: December 08, 2017 06:58PM

Winter in Idaho is roughly October or November through April or May. The hottest months in Arizona is June through October. That's a big difference in my opinion.

Date: December 09, 2017 10:55PM

So you would say year-round in arizona would be better than year-round in idaho?

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: December 08, 2017 07:14PM

I hate being cold, like to be warm, and can tolerate being hot. I'd take AZ over ID anytime.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: December 08, 2017 07:36PM

Nothing is perfect!:^)

Date: December 09, 2017 10:58PM

I had an old friend come over today and he kept saying 'i'm not saying i'm perfect', like every other sentence. Yes he is a mormon that doesn't know the religion very well i think but he's a good dude.

Posted by: cftexan ( )
Date: December 09, 2017 06:23AM

I hate the cold so much. It makes me bitter and angry. I live in the Dallas area. I love the hot, humid summers. Sometimes it can be a bit much, but I'll take it over cold anyday. The past few days its been under 55 and I've been miserable. I'm a better and happier person in the sun and heat!

Date: December 09, 2017 11:00PM

It does make you bitter and angry that is for d@mn sure. Very hard to counter.

Posted by: Joe the man ho & Brig the pig ( )
Date: December 09, 2017 11:13PM

I think its time you get yourself a hot tub! :) hehe

Date: December 10, 2017 01:12PM

We will get one together :):):) haha.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: December 09, 2017 11:02PM

I 'enjoy' both the summer and winter.

I camp and fish, etc. etc. in the summer.

I ski, etc. etc. in the winter.

Life would be easier and more pleasurable if you/op got a 'more positive attitude'!!!!!

Just sayin!

Date: December 10, 2017 01:15PM

This is me being positive :) just saying. I do etc.etc. too, that's pretty badass.

Posted by: Sassafras ( )
Date: December 10, 2017 01:25AM

Well, ever since I 'caught' a strange and rather rare autoimmune disease that has effectively turned me into a vampire, I find I vastly prefer the cold. It makes me feel like a normal person. Prior to this, I had no problem with heat. I've lived in places that had nasty hot, humid summers and dry, not quite as nasty hot summers. Dry heat was vastly preferable and very manageable. Now I cannot tolerate either. Oh well, I love to snow ski, ice skate, and generally do things outside when it's cold so I guess that's good.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: December 10, 2017 03:00AM

I grew up in New Hampshire (ice storms), went to school at Utah State (cold arctic winds out of the canyon), lived in Florida (hurricanes and tropical weather) and Arizona (blast furnace), before moving to Scandinavia several years ago. I will take very cold over very hot any time. I have had power go out due to hurricanes or extreme air conditioning usage in the community. When the power is out and it is extremely hot, there is nothing to do and a limit to how many clothes you can take off. You lose the ability to prepare food and the stuff in your refrigerator begins to spoil if it is gone for a while (we were without power for over a week after hurricane Charley in August 2004). I have also seen the power go out for several day due to ice storms in severe cold weather. But the good old wood stove kept cranking out the heat, water and food could still be heated on its top, and food from the refrigerator/freezer was moved outside to be preserved. Being without power in extreme cold is an inconvenience, being without power in extreme heat is brutal.

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: December 10, 2017 03:05AM

I love the seasons. I like summer, with swimming and drinking cold beers. But it sucks for working, and playing sports. Winter is good, we get a bit a snow here in the Netherlands, and some winters all the canals and lakes freeze over and everybody goes ice-skating.

When it's cold you layer up. And drink hot stuff, and use hot water bottles or an electric blanket to keep warm.

But in the end, I don't really let weather affect me too much. I live my life with its ups and downs and my happiness is not dependent on outside circumstances like the weather.
This is just where I live. It's not who I am.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: December 10, 2017 09:04AM

Give me the cold! Give me shorter days! You can always layer and be perfectly warm, but you can only take so much off in the heat. I grew up in Phoenix and I just cannot tolerate the heat. Had several instances of heat stroke. If it gets above 90 I tend to pass out when walking, I don't drive so I have to walk everywhere. I have trouble with depression in the summers too. I'll take 30 below any day instead of 90 or above.

Posted by: montanadude ( )
Date: December 10, 2017 09:41AM

I agree about preferring a colder climate. Bozeman normally has two weeks a year of brutal cold (highs of 0, lows -20) temps and the rest of the time it's manageable. We take an annual vacation to a warm climate in January and a trip to So. Utah in April to break it up. April is the worst month because you get some "sucker" days that feel like summer is coming only to get a dumping of snow the next day.

Either way, we all want to be somewhere else during extreme temperatures and right now I wish I was in Mexico!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.