Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: illini ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 09:37PM

Probably discussed before but I had one of my first encounters with the missionaries since the lowering of the age requirement (I live well away from Utah). The complete lack of maturity and preparedness is appalling. Whoever came up with the idea to lower the age was brilliant in that it may keep more of the youth in the church. Hopefully that offsets the damage they are causing by being so clueless.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 09:48PM

I happened to be somewhere where the missionaries were "volunteering " 4 guys and 2 gals. The one galnhad the guys wrapped around her finger and she knew it. She was exploiting them every way possible.

Do this for me. Bring me this. Lift this. Take this over there. All the while doing the "sacrament rub" (long time mormons know what I mean) on each one when she thought the others were not looking.

She obviously did not have the maturity to handle horny teenage boys that she might have had if she had been 20 or 21.

Her companion by the way was no where to be seen.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 10:27PM

I have seen this recently as new missionaries arrive in the field

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 11:38PM

What do you want from teenagers ?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 30, 2017 11:41PM

Especially teenagers raised in a bubble.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 12:01AM

The overall poorer quality and immaturity these days, and the general ill-preparedness sure is evident, as is the LACK OF DIRECTION or PURPOSE (even morale seems down) ["training"/indoctrination] is because tscc is riding on their missionary "program" and in the process, riding (on) them. They aren't donkeys jack-asses.

Used to be it seemed like they were on a mission.

Now they appear to be on vacation, without a holiday, a destination, or time, to speak little of money, freedom, or even the FACTS or even a ticket to ride, or a map. Poor kids, the lot of them.

M@t

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 12:30AM

New missionaries just dropped by.

Haven't really kept track, but it seems a new pair come by about every three months.

I'm very nice to them, no yelling and screaming. Just tell them we're part of the 'Great Abominable Church'. That usually makes them pause and regroup.

If they push about the BOM, etc., I just say I'm not interested.

Then they usually go for the service aspect, anything they can do to help me with chores. I tell them no thanks, I like to mess things up on my own.

We say good-bye and wish each other a good day.

Damn, I got grandkids older then them, but not nearly as polite.

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 10:10AM

That mighty prophet, seer, and revelator Thomas S. Monson got a super awesome holy revelation from Almighty God in 2012 that put in place the lowering of the missionary ages. Oh how wonderful and amazing it is to be led by living prophets who get for us the unchangeable eternal doctrines/truths that ensure that no matter what anyone thinks in the future about such a decision then in the Church we'll have the glorious responsibility of defending such decision as being doctrinally sound and part of the eternal unchangeable collection of doctrines.

That revelation was like all the revelations that went into that holy sacred January 1982 First Presidency letter about the Lord's unchangeable eternal doctrines on oral sex which has blessed so many lives over the year with the Lord's middlemen taking on a very strong powerful role in the bedrooms and marriages of the Saints.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 10:27AM

I got to know one local pair of mishies, who I'd encounter regularly in the local public library.
They'd be there on lots of days other than p-day, mainly because they had little or nothing to do.
Shortly after the more senior one had been transferred in, they approached me at the library, trying to do their mormon sales pitch.
I let them know I knew more about it than they did, did a mission, and was now a former mormon. But I treated them nicely, related some funny mission stories, laughed about the deprivations and how they didn't "tract" any more, and parted on good terms.

For the next 5 months or so, while both were still in the area, every time I'd encounter them they'd say hello, and then ask me if I needed any "service" done. They were desperate to have something to do. And bored out of their minds.

My local town of about 10,000 is very rural, very spread out, and has no apartment blocks or busy shopping centers or anything of the sort where they could "meet & greet." The library is about all they had. And nobody wanted anything to do with them. The local members (used to be 2 wards, now down to 1, and quite small) had busy lives and didn't seem to be turning over any "friends" to teach.

Usually I'd tell them I didn't need anything, and that I was sorry they were so bored. One time, feeling pity, I asked if they wanted to come help me clear brush from my property (fire season was coming, and I needed my defensible space). They lept at the chance. I told them there was one condition: no white shirts and ties. Jeans and t-shirts...they were gonna get dirty. They agreed.

So they showed up at 9AM. I fed 'em breakfast. Then we all got weed wackers, rakes, and hoes, and went to the bottom of my back hill, clearing brush for about 3 hours. They seemed to relish the hard work, doing something physical was welcome after sitting around reading scriptures for weeks on end.

Got 2 acres cleared in record time. Fed 'em lunch afterwards. I asked what they were going to do after that -- a couple of shrugs, then, "Guess we'll go clean up and head back to the library." Desperate pleas from them for me to ask them again if I needed ANYTHING else. Not a single word about church the entire time (which they also seemed glad about).

Not long after, the junior one got transferred out. I ran into the remaining Sr. one and his new comp at the library, and the Sr. one in a rare moment of truth confided in me that his new comp was "really green and really stupid." We both laughed when I called the new kid a "molly mormon."

Then the Sr. one got transferred out. Never hit it off with any of the others like those two. They must have some new instructions, 'cause they don't hang around the library as much now, and if I try to say hello to them, they always immediately ask if I want to know about their church -- no casual conversation anymore.

They're just kids doing what they've been told to do. I feel sorry for them, and also still in a way despise what they represent -- having been there myself. Poor ignorant bastards.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 08:42PM

This incident is an example of why I think you’re one of the finest men I know, Hie! And, dollars to Boners, these kids will remember you all their lives.

The missionaries in my neighborhood stay away from me. However, I bump into them everywhere else.

I generally ask them where they’re from, how’s the work going, and what they thought of when they received their calls to Utah (most were disappointed). Then, they generally ask me if I’m a member. I tell them I was a convert, but left due to theological differences with Mormonism. I quickly add that I respect them for following their hearts but, I encourage them to learn as much about the church and Joseph Smith as possible. Most smile, shake my hand, and wish me well.

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 08:06PM

There's nothing like kids selling a product that they know so little about...

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 01, 2017 09:03PM

"It doesn't matter what I don't know as long as I believe what I do know is true!"
- - Judic West, Duke of Earl

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: December 02, 2017 12:17AM

‘Tis truth to lie
When bishops pass by.

Wudic Jest, Earl of Pearl Jam

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2017 12:17AM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 02, 2017 11:32PM

"mormonism is bullshit" -- DtA, Colonel of the Urinal

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 02, 2017 12:13AM

I like to tell mishies how I left Christian Science. A major event was talking with an LDS Navy Lieutenant* in Vietam, and he told me about the unique revelations, the one book nobody else had, the restored gospel, etc. etc. So many things overlapped with Christian Science. Then I bring in the JWs and other pseudo-Christian groups, so they can see the commonality among these aberrant groups.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: December 02, 2017 02:19PM

It is my opinion that posters here, for the most part, have researched extensively to support their position. Therefore if confronted by inadequately prepared purveyors of a specific religion they quote back to aforesaid purveyors errors from their own scriptures the effect could be exponential.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 02, 2017 03:18PM

It's down so low they are going to start calling missionaries solo.

M@t

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: December 02, 2017 07:03PM

The decline is in lds spirit in general and tscc is a VERY immature cult-"church"/ culture.

No quality was always a turn-off and a bore.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: December 04, 2017 09:49AM

For the most part, all of the missionaries I've seen around here have been good kids. I've never had one try to corner me about the church, and most don't really even try to reach out to random strangers anymore. It's almost feeling like the younger missionaries are more considerate of others than their older, pre-surge counterparts were. They are still Mormons, though, so there is still an element of social cluelessness, but I haven't really minded any of the kids I've seen.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.