Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 12:49PM

One question is, "Where are the bodies coming from?"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/human-head-transplants-happen-china-151207991.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: not logged in ever ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 12:54PM

Date: November 19, 2017 01:04PM

At last, there's something creepier than Mormonism.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 01:34PM

No kidding. When I first heard of this I thought it was a joke.

Its really stomache turning.

Posted by: Tom Padley ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 02:00PM

Too bad it couldn't have happened when POTUS was in Asia.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 02:01PM

not going to happen. Can't be done.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 02:37PM

Sure it can, Dave!

Break it down...

First, and of critical importance, the brain must never be without an oxygenated blood supply. Meeting this one parameter allows for consideration of the other "impossibilities".

Brain cell nutrition: So besides oxygen, the blood must have required nutrients. That's doable.

Then comes the tough stuff: Sensory connections. This is a two-fold problem. We know that huge progress has been made in axonal regeneration, and there has been some success in surmounting the 'metal to flesh' connection. One of the limiting factors in continuing progress in the latter arena is the lack of human trials.

I foresee progress, and I'm betting that by February 14, 2018, a human head will survive transplantation to a host body, lovingly donated by a healthy, strapping Chinese prisoner.

The transplantee's family will not be pleased that Uncle Huan can now continue to plague them, but sacrifices must be made.

Date: November 19, 2017 02:55PM

the human nervous system is more complex than you can imagine. Those connections can never be made.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 03:07PM

I have a healthy, boyish imagination and I can conceive of complexities that would make plaiting a bald man's hair seem simple.

Mostly I look back and see how many things labeled as impossible I now have as apps.

I also have great faith in greed.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 03:28PM

Or possibly a breitbart fart...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2017 03:28PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: ptbarnum ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 03:17PM

Literally eternal communist party leaders. Great. I'm sure the average Chinese person is thrilled with that idea considering the levels of govt corruption they already deal with.

Posted by: ptbarnum ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 02:41PM

Congratulations doctor, you've killed 2 people.
????
This isn't medicine, it's human experimentation. That is, if it's even a thing at all, I tend to agree with Dave and say, nah, there's got to be somebody standing to make $ off marketing it but the science probably isn't there.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 07:01PM

as my former neighbor used to refer to her stepchildren.

Date: November 19, 2017 10:39PM

"In Futurama, Professor Farnsworth proclaims "Everyone's always in favor of saving Hitler's brain, but when you put it in the body of a great white shark. Ooo, suddenly you've gone too far.".

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: November 19, 2017 10:33PM

https://www.snopes.com/media/notnews/headtransplant.asp

And some others have debunked the claim which apparently keeps reappearing on Facebook...

https://theoutline.com/post/1312/why-facebook-keeps-recycling-an-old-story-about-a-planned-human-head-transplant

>Stories about the first human head transplant operation, supposedly coming in December 2017, are circulating again. But despite what you might have read or seen, humanity is not much closer to transplanting a human head to a new body than we were last year. Sorry to disappoint anyone looking to get their head transplanted.

>The story is based on the work of one man: Italian neurosurgeon Sergio Canavero. Canavero started making headlines in 2013 with ambitious claims about the process he designed for a transplant of a human head — as in, moving a healthy human head from a subject with an unhealthy body to an otherwise-healthy, brain-dead donor body. Canavero’s claims have been alternately regarded as sensationalist, spurious, and ethically murky.

And from the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/brain-flapping/2017/nov/17/no-there-hasnt-been-a-human-head-transplant-and-may-never-be-sergio-canavero

I can think of quite a few people in serious need of the surgery, but it looks like I'll have to live with my disappointment.

Date: November 20, 2017 12:32AM

... "The Thing with Two Heads" with Ray Milland and Rosie Grier from 1972.

All the better if you ramp the speed up to 1.25.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2017 12:33AM by kathleen.

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: November 20, 2017 05:31PM

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069372/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Bigoted racist surgeon Ray Milland has his head transplanted onto death row inmate Roosevelt Grier's body, with the idea of removing Rosie's original head later. At first he's happy about how strong the body feels, but then he holds a hand up and gets a look at it....
Later, Rosie escapes from the hospital with Ray's head on his shoulder, leads the cops on a long motorcycle chase smashing up at least a dozen police cars, and winds up at his girl friend's house. She answers the door, takes one look at him/them, and utters the unforgettable line:
"You get into more s----. Have you got two of anything else?"
They don't make 'em like that any more.
Then there's Robert Heinlein's 1970 brain transplant novel, "I Will Fear No Evil," in which an old man's brain is put into the body of his voluptuous secretary. I wouldn't make stuff like this up.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Will_Fear_No_Evil
Not being a neurosurgeon, I'll pass on the technical aspects of the question--but I suspect success in this area is still quite a ways off.

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: November 20, 2017 01:42AM

If the technology existed to reconnect a brain to a different spinal cord, that same technology could be used to reconnect a damaged spinal cord to itself and eliminate paralysis.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 20, 2017 01:48AM

I'm of two minds on this issue.

Posted by: Tom Padley ( )
Date: November 20, 2017 10:37AM

Ha ha ha! Very good as usual Don.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 20, 2017 02:39AM

my father was slowly dying of a progressive case of kidney failure, and nothing could be done about it.

Her mother, a very sweet lady, overheard our conversation, and asked, innocently, "Can't they take a kidney from somebody healthy and give it to him?" (Organ transplantation was basically a pipe dream at that time. A heart transplant had been tried in South Africa, I believe, but the man died within a few days from rejection, which was not understood at all at that time.

My best friend, who was all of fourteen, said, "EEEWW, Mom, that sounds GHOULISH!"

We all attended Dad's funeral within a year or so.

But my BFF's mother's prediction has become fairly common practice now. I wish i could tell her.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 20, 2017 10:33PM

Guys have been eyeing me for a Dick transplant for a long time, but I always say NO!
... but thanks for the compliment!!

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: November 20, 2017 11:49PM

Thanks, Cabbie, from a fellow Snopes fan ;)

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: November 21, 2017 12:05PM

Pfff, psychiatrists do it all the time.

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: November 21, 2017 02:32PM

Great news! Maybe they'll offer Mormons a group discount.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: November 21, 2017 02:37PM

... next start on the house of representatives

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.