Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Crazy horse ( )
Date: October 25, 2017 12:07AM

Hi the Mormon church has this show out called the district and only shows how happy missionaries and everyone is,they are going to make a third one and it is filmed in San Antonio Texas and San Diego California, trying to hide what missionaries actually go thru and how clueless they are about this money hungry cult? I feel bad for the missionaries, they are like car salesmen selling a bad car

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brigham's Bush ( )
Date: October 25, 2017 01:21AM

As a believing missionary I thought they were boring. Later, as a non-believing missionary, I found them nauseating. Nowadays, I don't think about them at all (excepting now, of course).
Shameless and mind-numbing propaganda attempting to help missionaries cognitively justify a miserable waste of time.

Date: October 25, 2017 10:37PM

And pull more people into this money making cult

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 25, 2017 06:28PM

Pure propaganda!

How can they say it's unscripted?

The investigators look like BYU students. Funny how you they all adhere to LDS modesty standards and use Mormon colloquialisms.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2017 10:47PM by messygoop.

Date: October 25, 2017 10:50PM

Apparently, there's some discord and disbelief in season 1 episode 3. I haven't watched yet, but I predict that all the disbelief will be perfectly resolved by a sincere testimony and a simple prayer.

That's the Mormon way of resolving investigator's doubts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2017 10:52PM by messygoop.

Date: October 25, 2017 10:37PM

Yep and try to show everyone all happy, haha not!

Posted by: candice ( )
Date: October 25, 2017 10:42PM

i never heard of this, what is it, like a show that missionaries watch out in the field to stay motivated?

Date: October 25, 2017 11:57PM

Yep and shows you the so called real lives of missionaries, it is filmed in San Antonio Texas and San Diego California, everyone is so happy haha,I guess the so called lds church is desperate for more victims!

Date: November 11, 2017 10:13PM

Yep and don't show everything missionaries go throw or how this cult will make you pay everything and you will have no say what calling they put you in!because they believe the bishop hears from heavenly father! Once a cult always a cult

Posted by: Brigham's Bush ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 12:45AM

Yeah, they're relatively new to the missionary program. They are training videos that try to emulate a reality show, containing "heart-warming" stories of baptizing spouses of part-member marriages, instantly convincing less-active families to pay tithing, and impressing bishops by bothering the mailman with religious discussions.
On my mission, each pair of missionaries got a shitty little DVD player with a laminated label that said something like "this device is only to be used for watching The District and Church-produced material." We all got sets of DVDs that contained the full, reality show-like episodes and dozens of 5-10 minute clips that display certain skills, like keeping teaching records and following up on commitments.
Depending on how obedient my companion was, I would primarily use the DVD player to watch movies I discreetly checked out from the public library on p-day. A few of my companions were so dumb, I could say I was going to the bathroom while we were at the library, go to the DVD section and choose some movies, check them out at the automated kiosk and put them in my scripture case, and watch the movies underneath my blankets at night while my companion was sleeping. Just doing what I had to do to stay sane!

Date: October 26, 2017 01:06AM

And in better days, the entire district would meet at a member's house to play video games, watch R movies and indulge on a mighty fine Texas B-B-Q. And then the member would invite us back again (and again) the following week to do it again. (Yes, we got busted when the not-too-bright member called up the MP to complain that we elders didn't finish the eating all the food he had cooked. He freaked out because he had leftovers.)

And in the really good old days, missionaries really enjoyed themselves on Diversion day and the MP didn't give a shit as long as they were baptizing every month.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 26, 2017 09:03AM

Here's episode 1 if you can stomach watching it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBsHAJ6U6Mw

I couldn't watch more than a few minutes of it. Too much triggering of memories of being in the cult, and being a self-righteous asshat on a mission.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2017 09:09AM by ificouldhietokolob.

Date: October 27, 2017 01:15AM

While the elders in the 1st district were a little too perfect to be credible, they made the elders a bit more realistic in the 2nd district. This one was depicted in San Diego, CA and they have a couple of pricks. I thought it was odd that one of their first stories was a lady that wasn't going to become baptized. Not the usual, all is well in the mission field BS that was fed to us over and over again.

Date: November 11, 2017 10:15PM

I didn't like elder Moreno,you are thinking we are telling you that to God is to go thru the prophet!that is not what we are saying, wow and yep the 1st district is way too perfect

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.