Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: November 01, 2017 08:12AM

I live in a metropolitan area in the Southeast and am very involved in a UU church. About 8 years ago I suggested a trunk or treat for our children's Halloween party. Only one person in our group had ever heard of it, but thought it sounded cool.

Course, it's probably not the Utah Mormon kind, but I never went to one there, so I don't know. That's just where I heard of it. But it has become one of our most anticipated activities. And we have a lot of extremely fun activities to compare it to. Everyone gets into it and we make it a competition for best trunk and the competition gets fierce. Very few of the people who decorate their trunks even have kids at home, but we have the most fun. Well, someone always makes some hot adult beverages that help us keep warm.

It's such great outreach to the community and we have a big party inside the church. The youth group does a spook alley, we sell pizza, have a cake walk and other activities inside and a dance party. This year we had at least 250 people from outside the church and they were all wonderful, at least 70% African American. The kids were dressed so cute.

OK, I know the Mormon ones don't compare, but I do appreciate having heard about it in Utah. Trick or Treating has almost died out in our town and most churches are doing parties instead. Even other trunk or treat parties--but I'll guarantee they don't have as much fun with it as we do.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: November 01, 2017 10:20AM

That actually sounds fun.

Not the Mormons with their gross minivans with slurpy sneeze on the windows and the Smarties, the fun cake walk & pizza sling!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 01, 2017 03:44PM

Nothing wrong with a Halloween party. Trust the Mormons to make it boring.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 01, 2017 04:31PM

There's a lot to be said for "trunk & treat" (not the mormon version, of course...!).

However, my 2 year-old went "regular" trick-or-treating last night for the first time. She absolutely loved it. Wants to go again tonight! It was a great experience for her.

She had a safe neighborhood to do it. Not everyone does. Trunk & treat is a great solution when there isn't a safe neighborhood. Or other reasons.

But there's still something to be said for the "old way"!

:)

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: November 01, 2017 11:09PM

I'd decorate my trunk, so long as it gets the treatment it deserves.

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: November 01, 2017 11:33PM

I have nothing against Trunk or Treat and think they are awesome for rural areas. I don't see it done much with wards in the Morridor. I've seen it done with family outside of Utah and their wards. I don't know how they are ran, but it's much better when it's inclusive to everyone in the area.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2017 11:33PM by abby.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.