Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 10:50AM

Can't explain what gravity is made up of, yet they're sure it's not anything we call mystery, aka Tao, Logos genius, or divine
Much less dark matter, dark energy or what's in a black hole.
Or why it's spinning 14 million mph South towards the Great Attractor.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rt ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 10:55AM

Can you explain it? Or are you just full of manure?

There are many things that cannot be explained at the moment. That doesn't mean there's a magical cause, though. That's how four-year-olds think.

Are you four?

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 03:52PM

Is this like the magnets thing all over again?

Posted by: the investigator ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 10:55AM

Yawn.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 10:57AM

I'll see your yawn and raise you two more plus an eye roll.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 12:15PM

I'd rather just fart, roll over and go back to sleep...zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Ron Burr

Date: February 09, 2015 03:19PM

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 10:58AM

koriwhore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can't explain what gravity is made up of, yet
> they're sure it's not anything we call mystery,
> aka Tao, Logos genius, or divine
> Much less dark matter, dark energy or what's in a
> black hole.
> Or why it's spinning 14 million mph South towards
> the Great Attractor.

So, "we don't know, therefore magic?"
Really?

Posted by: Beth NLI ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 01:45PM

How does that work?

"Miracles" ~Insane Clown Posse

Heh.

Date: February 09, 2015 03:21PM

I said it's a mystery.
Lots of cultures have had better names than "God" to symbolize that mystery, like the Tao of the Zen Buddhists, the Genius of the Ancient Romans, or Logos of the Ancient Greeks, or Great Spirit of the Native Americans.
Personally I'd rather call it "tao" than "god" but the word 'God' is just as applicable as the words, tao, logos or genius. They're synonymous.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 05:01PM

koriwhore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I said it's a mystery.
> Lots of cultures have had better names than "God"
> to symbolize that mystery, like the Tao of the Zen
> Buddhists, the Genius of the Ancient Romans, or
> Logos of the Ancient Greeks, or Great Spirit of
> the Native Americans.
> Personally I'd rather call it "tao" than "god" but
> the word 'God' is just as applicable as the words,
> tao, logos or genius. They're synonymous.

Once again, rather than just admit "we don't know," you see some need to make up "mystical" words, especially ones that imply supernatural beings, wills, or actions...when there's no reason to do so, and the simple and honest "we don't know" is just fine.

So...why? Arguments from ignorance are oh so silly...

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 10:59AM

Couldn't we just go back to using sunsets, flowers, and babies as the supposed proof?

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 02:40PM

Date: February 09, 2015 03:22PM

I much prefer Sagan's definition:"Yes I believe in God if by the word, 'god' you mean the immutable laws of nature."

Date: February 09, 2015 03:28PM

Both of whom reject the Atheist label for good reasons, most of which are the same reasons I reject that label.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzSMC5rWvos
http://www.samharris.org/site/full_text/the-problem-with-atheism

I like my company.

"The fanatical atheists...are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who—in their grudge against the traditional 'opium of the people'—cannot bear the music of the spheres." Einstein

He couldn't have described the fanatical atheists on this board better.

Date: February 09, 2015 03:32PM

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 11:08AM

And those facts certainly demonstrate the requirement of 2 earrings or less, no tattoos, financial strong arming for life, and the destruction of families if one questions?

You can keep your concocted god.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 11:15AM

VALIS is a 1981 science fiction novel by Philip K. Dick.

The title is an acronym for Vast Active Living Intelligence System, Dick's gnostic vision of one aspect of God.

Keep at it Kori.

Byzantium wasn't built in a day.

Posted by: ab ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 11:26AM

Arrogance in believing that a person has a handle on reality is a sure sign of a mind in a box. A driven quickness to defend one’s box as the only rational point of view of reality is of the mentality of Fair. I can’t read writing from this mentality; it is like Charlie Brown’s teacher talking to me ( http://www.orangefreesounds.com/charlie-brown-teacher/ ) To me many of the post on the site come a mentality only a bit removed from that of Fair.

People in boxes need to suck others into the box of their perceptions. I prefer to live in the open; not knowing or pretending to know what I haven’t experienced or can’t comprehend.

I think on some level, you do your best things when you're a little off-balance, a little scared. You've got to work from mystery, from wonder, from not knowing.
Willem Dafoe

I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there.
Richard P. Feynman

Dogmatism and skepticism are both, in a sense, absolute philosophies; one is certain of knowing, the other of not knowing. What philosophy should dissipate is certainty, whether of knowledge or ignorance.
Bertrand Russell

Date: February 09, 2015 02:38PM

I want answers to them--and religious orthodoxy doesn't provide them.

I'm also not into celebrating ignorance or thinking that being bereft of knowledge is somehow a good thing. Discovering reality is more my thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2015 02:39PM by steve benson.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 11:27AM

Koriwhore, I used to respect your opinions and posts, now you're just boring
that is all

Date: February 09, 2015 12:06PM

Date: February 09, 2015 03:31PM

Why is "Dark Matter/Energy" a better name than "Tao" for the 96% of the universe we can't see?

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 03:50PM

A rose by any other name . . .

Date: February 09, 2015 04:12PM

Pretty lame basis for a name.
My point is, since the vast majority of the universe is a vast mystery to all of us, why insist upon a meaningless name for it, instead of far more meaningful names, like "God Particle" ?

Date: February 09, 2015 04:16PM

Can I have the Sport question?

Date: February 09, 2015 04:19PM

I don't know, is it beacause Tao means something else already?

Posted by: In a hurry (Saree) ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 04:21PM

Posted by: Xyandro ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 04:48PM

Dark energy/matter is a proposed scientific explanation that makes our observations fit with out current understanding of how the universe works. If our theories change to where we don't need it, we'll drop it. If it ends up being explained, we'll update it with our new knowledge.

Tao is a made up thing that doesn't really mean anything. It doesn't need any evidence to back it up, and has no conditions that would throw it out.

See the difference?

Date: February 09, 2015 05:19PM

. . . especially when a child like yourself deliberately twists the words of, say, Carl Sagan in order to further your tiresome, predictable and conveniently concocted attacks against atheism.

Let me give you a specific and recent example of your dishonest and juvenile-delinquent tactic in that regard. You claimed that not only Einstein, but also astronomer Carl Sagan, was not an atheist. As proof, you cited the following Sagan statement:

“I am not an atheist. An atheist is someone who has compelling evidence that there is no Judeo-Christian-Islamic God. I am not that wise, but neither do I consider there to be anything approaching adequate evidence for such a god. Why are you in such a hurry to make up your mind? Why not simply wait until there is compelling evidence?” Carl Sagan in a letter to Robert Pope, of Windsor, Ontario, Oct. 2, 1996

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/achenblog/wp/2014/07/10/carl-sagan-denied-being-an-atheist-so-what-did-he-believe-part-1/

What, of course, you conveniently failed to mention were other Sagan quotes (and observations made by those who knew Sagan well)--ones that CAME FROM THE SAME WEBSITE THAT YOU LInKED TO ABOVE--and which help put Sagan's thoughts on the question of God in more accurate context.

--Carl Sagan:

"I would love to believe that when I die I will live again, that some thinking, feeling, remembering part of me will continue. But much as I want to believe that, and despite the ancient and worldwide cultural traditions that assert an afterlife, I know of nothing to suggest that it is more than wishful thinking. The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides."

("In the Valley of the Shadow", "Parade" magazine, 10 March 1996)

--Carl Sagan:

“Do you understand how--assuming either of us ever did say, ‘The universe can be explained without postulating God’--this could be understood as dogmatic? I often talk about the ‘God hypothesis’ as something I’d be fully willing to accept if there were compelling evidence; unfortunately, there is nothing approaching compelling evidence. That attitude, it seems to me, is undogmatic.”

(Carl Sagan to Stephen Jay Gould, 18 December 1989)

--"David Grinspoon, a planetary scientist whose father was Sagan’s best friend, and who referred to Sagan as'“Uncle Carl,' tells me [Joel Achenbach, with the 'Washington Post'] by e-mail":

“In his adult life, he [Sagan] was very close to being an atheist. I personally had several conversations with him about religion, belief, god, and yes I agree he was darn close. It’s really semantics at this level of distinction. He was certainly not a theist. And I suppose I can relate because I personally don’t call myself an atheist, although if you probed what I believe, it would be indistinguishable from many who do use that term.”

(David Grinspoon, email to Achenbach)

--"I [Achenbach] e-mailed the person who would know Sagan’s views better than anyone: I specifically asked her about the quote in my 1996 story (“An atheist has to know a lot more than I know. An atheist is someone who knows there is no God”). Druyan responded:

“Carl meant exactly what he said. He used words with great care. He did not know if there was a god. It is my understanding that to be an atheist is to take the position that it is known that there is no god or equivalent. Carl was comfortable with the label ‘agnostic’ but not ‘atheist.’”

(Ann Druyan, Sagan’s widow, email to Achenbach)

--Joel Achenbach, "Washington Post":

"Here’s a definition of 'agnosticism' from Merriam-Webster: 'Agnosticism may mean no more than the suspension of judgment on ultimate questions because of insufficient evidence, or it may constitute a rejection of traditional Christian tenets.' The same online dictionary says of 'atheism,' 'Unlike agnosticism, which leaves open the question of whether there is a God, atheism is a positive denial.'

"By these definitions, we should call Sagan an agnostic. And yet, to my ear, 'agnostic' doesn’t quite capture the skepticism that Sagan brought to the issue. I want a word with a little more spin on it.

"Surf around the Web and you’ll find other parsings of 'atheist' and 'agnostic,' including one at about.com that talks about the concept of an 'agnostic atheist.' You might also want to check out the commentary Penn Jillette did for the NPR 'This I Believe' series, in which he [Sagan] begins, 'I believe there is no God” (he describes that as 'beyond atheism')."

*The above excerpted from "Carl Sagan Denied Being an Atheist. So, What Did He Believe? [Part 1]," by Joel Achenbach, "Washington Post," 10 July 2014, at: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/achenblog/wp/2014/07/10/carl-sagan-denied-being-an-atheist-so-what-did-he-believe-part-1/)

Tsk, tsk, korisnore. You've been caught red-handedly and deceitfully cherry-picking from your stacked deck in order to promote your deity bias. If you can't defend God without clumsily manipulating evidence that doesn't suit your agenda, God obviously didn't bless you with much of a brain.

Now, go ahead and be the child that you are by calling me a "total d*ck" or an "idiot," like you have others in this thread who dare challenge you. You obviously can't handle the war of ideas with steel-jawed responses like that.

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2015 05:42PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 01:57PM

Is there some reason that pantheists feel like they need to make up their own language which uses familiar words in strange ways?

Like if a pantheist wants to talk about his false god for which there is no evidence, then why does he think it sounds more sophisticated to call it "mystery", "Tao", "Logos", "genius", or "the divine" instead of calling it "God" like a normal theist would?

Words have meanings, and communication starts to break down if people don't use words the way everyone else uses them.

Pantheists believe in God because they feel something like warm fuzzies. The same kind of things that make Mormons think that the Holy Ghost is telling them that Joseph Smith is a true prophet and the LDS church is true.

If a pantheist tries to use science or logic to prove his position, it is a case of deciding an answer in advance, and then bending evidence to support it rather than looking at all the evidence and then deciding what the most reasonable conclusion is to draw from it.

I don't believe in magic. Just because physicists don't understand everything about gravity and dark matter does not mean that a supernatural pantheistic god is controlling it with magic.

I think it is better to stay grounded in reality.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 02:03PM

WHY is it so important to you? Is it a lil bit o' Morg comin out?
Seriously.

Reggie, The StalkerDog™<-- No atheist here; I believe in DOG.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 02:34PM

I'm disappointed. You didn't take the opportunity once more to state that you are a Taoist and Epicurean, as if it mattered or we cared.

I'm doing my part to help fill this thread and sink it. It's a dirty job, but somebody's gotta do it.

Date: February 09, 2015 02:36PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2015 02:41PM by steve benson.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 03:07PM

Date: February 09, 2015 03:33PM

Just answer the question, "Why is "the Great Attractor" a better name than 'Tao" for whatever mystery is pulling our galaxy and neighboring galaxies 14 million mph towards it?

Date: February 09, 2015 05:36PM

I've brought it up before and you have ducked and dodged all around it.

Why do you deliberately misrepresent Sagan's views on the subject of atheism, as demonstrated from your own words (reposted in this thread from earlier dishonest efforts you were making in behalf of your poorly-constructed case against non-belief)?

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1509434,1509904#msg-1509904

Grow up.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2015 05:53PM by steve benson.

Date: February 09, 2015 04:18PM

Blame it on the Boson-nova.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 05:51PM

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 04:23PM

To koriwhore:

I object to being labeled a "fanatic atheist." You want to bandy labels about, as though they provide some kind of information inherent in the thing labeled. "Fanatic" is a meaningless label, used only to call someone else a dirty name: "Koriwhore, you are a fanatic Taoist!"

As for gravity, I can explain it as well as you can. You go first. Explain it. That means more than simply naming it or using some vague generalization like "it's what holds the planets in place." A real explanation. And any shortcomings in your explanation I will use to justify my explanation.

I'm putting your posts on my "don't bother to read" list (after you respond to this one).

Posted by: beyondashadow ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 04:31PM

According to Michael Newton, or what I think I understood from reading 2-1/2 of his books, souls in the Spirit World don't even know what God is. At times they feel some kind of light and loving energy shining down on them from somewhere, but nobody is close enough to know with specificity who or what that light and energy is coming from.

In other words, the expectation to "meet God" after death does not seem to happen, according to MN. God is a mystery even in the Spirit World. God is referred to more often as "The Source".

In closing, my dear brothers and sisters, I know beyondashadow of a doubt that black holes and dark matter are twoo. Amen, and amen.

I don't know what the rules are for a double Amen, but it sounded more twoo than just one Amen.

Posted by: copolt ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 04:34PM

Koriwhore, I might be in the minority here but I like your arguement. Thanks.

Date: February 09, 2015 04:43PM

Well I don't know copolt.

Other than calling out names in the subline, I'll not say more than he's no dodo.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 04:52PM

Giving a name to the Oddness of the Universe still isn't going to help your wondering mind.

There are many glalaxies that are moving away form us at near speed of light just as some galaxies appear to be on a collision course towards ours in 1000s of years. You won't be around long enough to fully understand the subject anyway. So, pick up a new thing to wonder about.

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 05:01PM

Koriwhore, this is one topic where Einstein's thoughts are actually relevant...

Why don't you tell us what he had to say about gravity?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2015 05:02PM by AKA Alma.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: February 09, 2015 05:50PM

I'm not sure this is the right forum for blowing people's minds. What is God, consciousness, reality, time, gravity? Very deep questions that some people dedicate their lives to and still just scratch the surface.

I like Wayne Dyer's advice. When you have a choice between being right and being kind, be kind.

We're simple folk here, really. We just want the Church to stop messing with our minds. It's like we have a parasite under our skin and we're digging it out. Atheists and theists alike are here for de-worming.

Date: February 09, 2015 05:52PM

You've heard of Morgellon's disease, obviously.

Good name for it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.