Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: October 09, 2017 11:23AM

Instructor tells about the undergarments and how they're to be worn, and how to take care of them (do not leave them on the floor, etc.).

In addition, pictures of the temple robes and green apron are now shown, and you are now told how to wear them.

The initatory is also explained, though not the history of it, such as nudity.

Secret new names will be given to you in the temple, as well.

Is this a recent change?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2017 11:34AM by Agnes Broomhead.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: allegro ( )
Date: October 09, 2017 11:55AM

Interesting. My daughter begged me to take her through the temple about 7 years ago. I had become inactive and really did not want to go back but I did for her. The Bishop was great and we did an interview with the SP. I got my recommend back without all the red tape. I decided I was going to let my daughter know everything. When she went through(LA Temple), she ended up getting a trainee by accident, but helped him through the rote speech! While in the Celestial Room a worker, who was with her, told me she had never seen a person so sure of herself at the veil and helped the trainee. I explained I had told her as much as I remembered of what goes on in the temple and she made her decision even knowing everything.The worker was taken aback, but then said, this is proof that they need to teach more in the prep classes. She said this has been brought up for years in Salt Lake but everyone keeps saying it is too sacred. She also said it is very discouraging to see people so scared and upset after going through. That people need to be told and then make their decision. I said well my daughter did bot have to perform the slitting motions like I did. She nodded and said hopefully they will understand there needs to be more education.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 09, 2017 12:03PM

It would be nice if the decision were made to help the members, but cynics will prefer to think that it was just internet reality forcing the church to act, so as to avoid continuing to look foolish. After all, ghawd certainly hasn't taken any actions to preserve his oh, so secret rituals.

Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: October 09, 2017 09:31PM

What a remarkably mature conversation between two rational adults. Such an exception in Mormonism! And good on you...I respect how you made it a win with your daughter. :)

Posted by: GoldRos ( )
Date: October 09, 2017 12:09PM

I went through the temple in 2014 and my bishop told me pretty much what you're describing here. He said he can bring his temple clothes, If I want to see it. He was a great bishop and I wasn't terrified in the temple

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: October 09, 2017 12:22PM

It was first published by the Mormon church on youtube in 2014:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkTz_NQqKA8&feature=youtu.be

The goal of the video is to show just how "normal" Mormon temple clothing is, comparing it to sacred vestments worn by adherents of many other religions. They fail, however, to show the entire green apron in the video. I wonder why. Over-the-line awkward?

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 09, 2017 01:26PM

Even though Catholic, Anglican, etc. vestments can be absurdly ornate, there is a detailed explanation for each layer that a clergyman wears, just as there are reams of information explaining every aspect of the eucharist and other rites. I'm sure there are some "secret squirrel" things that go on in the inner workings of the Vatican, but any rank and file member can have the parish priest explain the regular ceremonies.

Mormons? Too sacred?

Pfffttt!!!!

When you base something on secret polygamy rituals that were tacked on to stolen Masonic rites, combined with DEATH OATHS, you'd better damn well want to keep things hush-hush.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 09, 2017 01:56PM

I was growing up. It was something I looked forward to from a very young age. Imagine my shock when my new name was LUCY!

My grandmother embroidered temple aprons for people. I have 2 of them (which I gave to my daughter before she went through in February). I saw my mother's temple clothes when I was young and, of course, most of us saw the garments, though I certainly didn't understand. When I was young, I thought ALL PARENTS wore those kind of underwear (raised in utah).

Posted by: reinventinggrace ( )
Date: October 09, 2017 02:21PM

Allegro wrote:

“While in the Celestial Room a worker, who was with her, told me she had never seen a person so sure of herself at the veil and helped the trainee.

“I explained I had told her as much as I remembered of what goes on in the temple and she made her decision even knowing everything.

“The worker was taken aback, but then said, this is proof that they need to teach more in the prep classes.”

This is a precious story.

It amuses me to imagine the quick changes in Br./Sis. Temple Worker’s face as they process what you tell them. Kudos to the worker for a quick recovery, then being pragmatic in their response.

RG

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: October 09, 2017 02:55PM

All the subtle changes make it easier for Mormons to say, "What? You didn't know about the temple clothing, new names, or covenants before you went to the temple? That must be your fault. You either didn't go to temple prep or you weren't paying attention. The church has always been forthcoming about such things."

I got my endowment in the early 90s and I wasn't told anything about the experience before I went. I had no clue. I had never seen the robes, green apron or veil until I passed a bunch of people on the temple escalator who had just finished a temple session when I was on my way to my first session. I had no idea I would have to stand naked under a flimsy poncho for the washing and annointing. I didn't know what I was going to be covenanting to. I'm certain my experience is the experience of many who went through the temple when I did.

The church is making changes and being more transparent so that the temple and its rituals are less shocking. The less shocking it is, the more normal it will seem to first-timers. The church can make all the changes it wants, but there is nothing normal, holy or worthwhile about temple worship. It's creepy from start to finish.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 09, 2017 03:24PM

This was my experience as well. I was shocked and felt uncomfortable. It annoys to me to no end that TBMs try to gaslight those that perceived the experience as a huge shock to their psyches.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: October 09, 2017 09:07PM

"I had no idea I would have to stand naked under a flimsy poncho for the washing and annointing."

Me too! I remember I was feeling so cold.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 10, 2017 02:46AM

feeling very shocked and weirded-out in the temple. After all the hype and spin they give it, and then you go through the naked-under-the-poncho number, and are expected to emerge from all that looking thrilled and enlightened - it was just too much.

Thank you, RfM, for the Reality Check. I needed it.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: October 10, 2017 10:59PM

I went through the temple the day before my wedding. I didn't like my new name. Somehow I had hoped that god would have a very pretty name for me a name that I would love. If he knew me why would he give me that name?
Years later I found out that all females that day got the same name "my name" and it made it even less special to me.

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: October 11, 2017 01:02PM

Which is why this website is so important. There are plenty of people who are thinking the same things, but too afraid to say anything out of fear and the cultural pressure of group-think. I can't help but wonder if my 2 sisters that actually 'got married' in the temple felt scared/awful about it initially and now they are in too deep and used to it all. My parents got married in the mid-70's, so they definitely did the death oaths all through my childhood! They would hire babysitters for us kids so they could go do a temple night for that awful stuff. It just blows my mind knowing about it now. I haven't been able to look at my parents the same since I found all this out last year (when I found this site).
Let the gas-lighting commence...

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 09, 2017 09:28PM

as others. My mother never hid her temple clothes from us. My dad didn't have any until later in life. He didn't go back to the temple until my sister got married 25 years after he had. And since I spent a lot of time at my grandmother's, I saw her embroider the aprons.

Now the W&A, a girl I worked with was in some local play and she came to work and told me that the women said that you had to get naked in the temple. It was about the time they refurbished the Logan Temple back in the 1970s or early 1980s. I was SHOCKED and so was she, so I told my sister she had to tell me about being naked in the temple and if I couldn't handle it or she wouldn't tell me, I was going to leave the church. She told me, so I wasn't nearly as shocked as most people.

But like has been said, they can't do enough to the temple experience to make it seem special.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 09, 2017 08:53PM

This is likely the result of two things, the lawsuit in the UK over the church's bait-and-switch conversion tactics, and the fact that they have to take control of the narrative now that people have posted pictures of the temple outfit on-line.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 09, 2017 09:27PM

They might as well, since this info is all over the Internet.

Maybe that way the person thinks they are getting some facts for once from the church instead of finding out first from ex-mormons talking about it on the net.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: October 10, 2017 05:36AM

Those acknowledgements /concessions by the MORmONS relative to their temple weirdness are really amusing, however I can not imagine that they ( MORmONS) will ever get to the point of willingly making open mention of their stupid secret (UNMENTIONABLE!!!!!!) handshakes. that would be the complete undoing of the blindsiding technique/ mystique that allows their stupid temple deal to work.

.....In the mean time, I will be openly /publicly mentioning those stupid embarrassing aspects of MORmON temple worship/ endowment work at every chance that I get, for them, in a very vicarious kind of way so much like their MORmON temple work for the dead.

here is my contribution to temple education !!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2Z3YSRogyo

Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: October 11, 2017 12:04PM

I was a convert so in love with Mormonism and Mormons that nothing in the temple fazed me. I knew next to nothing about what would happen in the temple, but I had to go through before my mission. Was with a friend who helped me out. Now I see the temple as the center of Mormon control and fundraising. Amazing how perceptions change with knowledge.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: October 11, 2017 12:37PM

Damn.

I want them to turn up the secrecy and the weirdness.

Co-ed washings and annointings, NO PONCHO. Just kidding, sort of.

Pretty soon the temple sessions will be 30 minutes and they'll throw in a few Dr. Phil-isms.

If they didn't hate gays, the church would be almost palatable.

What's next? 7% tithing?

Rant over.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.