Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dumb Lawyer ( )
Date: October 07, 2017 12:06AM

This past Sunday 58 amazing people lost their lives and over 400 were injured as a result of a mass shooting on the Vegas strip.

One clown who was injured, previously agnostic, professes to believe in God now because his life was spared.

How disgusting to believe that his life was more valuable than the 58 others who were senselessly slaughtered.

The only reason more people weren’t injured or killed is because some of the assault weapons jammed and he took his own life when the police were closing in.

You can believe in God if you want, but don’t tell the 500 folks that were injured and killed that God intervenes in human affairs.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 07, 2017 12:15AM

Yeah, I was thinking about that the other day when one of the survivors was thanking God for protecting them. I thought, "But what about the 58?" What made them so special that they were spared, but the others weren't?

Posted by: cakeordeath ( )
Date: October 07, 2017 12:15AM

Thank you for your vent. It's refreshing to hear the truth from time to time.

Cake

Posted by: Questioner2 ( )
Date: October 07, 2017 01:05AM

"What made them so special that they were spared, but the others weren't?"
---------------------------

Maybe they PRAYED for their lives to be spared.

People dying (even horrible deaths), doesn't mean God doesn't exist. Conflating the two isn't pure logic.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: October 07, 2017 02:56AM

I have a somewhat close relative by marriage who lived in a small city in California where a horrifc (but no fatalities) kidnapping of children on a school and their driver occurred. My relative lived within the boundaries of the small rural school district and attended the school during the regular school year but probably couldn't have been forced even at gunpoint to have attended summer school at that age, and her twin brother was if anything even less likely to agree to summer school than she was. I believe she and her twin had completed fifth grade when the bus kidnapping happened.

My relative's mom immigrated from Ireland as a teen, and her paternal grandparents immigrated from Ireland as young adults. The family was Catholic and not particularly rabid about it, but the oldest sister married a Mormon and drank the LDS Kool-Aid. When the eldest sister heard news of the kidnapping, she called her parents' home immediately from Utah where her husband was in medical school, wanting to know if her little brother and sister were on the bus. Her dad laughed and said, "It's SUMMER school. What do you think?" The older sister immediately tried to make some sort of divine intervention spin on her little brother and sister having been spared the ordeal, but her parents weren't buying it. Why would their two children have been spared when twenty-six others weren't?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2017 02:58AM by scmd.

Posted by: psychic ( )
Date: October 07, 2017 03:19AM

actually, a woman did run around screaming "You'll all going to be killed tonight" but security whisked her away. That was at least 45 minutes before the shooting. The Woman claimed to be a psychic.

Either she was a) a psychic or b) she knew the gunman.

Your argument "Vegas proves there is no God" is based upon this Assumption: God will prevent all "evil" form happening to His children.

That is based upon more Assumptions:
liv
a) there is a Personal God (i.e. there is no Impersonal God as many religions teach)
b) we are His literal children (most religions don't teach that)
c) Earth life is supposed to be completely FREE of pain and cares (not even MOrmonism teaches that).

So, your argument is based upon FOUR Assumptions.

A few religions, such as Radhasoami Faith, teach that our Realm ("Pind") is HELL, where the Devil Deity ("Kal") rules! Therefore, if Radhasoami Faith (and some other religions) are true, then we should EXPECT pain, sorrow, injury, disease, deformity, injustice, ageing, and DEATH because we are in Hell! Sent here before of our sins in previous lives.

Your argument...that a) God is Personal b) He wants us no pain or sorrow c) Earth is supposed to be Paradise IS NOT TAUGHT IN ANY RELIGION, not even Mormonism. YOU "invented" these false assumptions, to make a FALSE argument (i.e. straw man argument). End of story.

Posted by: Derek Bonhoeffer ( )
Date: October 07, 2017 03:37AM

Well, at least “Dumb Lawyer” got his screen name right. The rest of his “thinking,” not so much.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.