Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: generationofvipers ( )
Date: February 03, 2015 10:20AM

My wife has studied the manual on Ezra Taft Benson this year and read all the Sherry Dew crap about him. But as she was looking into his life she came across this image, with the name of the supposed "apostle of Jesus Christ" proudly written across the top:

http://crooksandliars.com/files/vfs/2011/03/TheBlackHammer.jpg

This one image was infinitely more disturbing to her than all the history and doctrinal points I've ever mentioned to her. She was especially horrified by the exaggerated features and the bloody severed head. We had a good talk afterward, very open and frank. No major breakthroughs but a very open discussion on both sides.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: February 03, 2015 10:26AM

Okay. That is just shocking even if you already know about ole Ezra. I wonder if the HON. Steve Benson has any enlightenment on this tome?

What a serendipitous find. Hope that is a seed to grow for your wife.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: February 03, 2015 10:37AM

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: February 03, 2015 10:40AM

This needs to be in the press. It's time for the church to throw another prophet under the bus.

How would they try to explain this? It is indefensible, but I'm sure they would find one of their ridiculous angles.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: February 04, 2015 10:59PM

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: February 05, 2015 03:23AM

Posted by: istandallamazed ( )
Date: February 05, 2015 01:20AM

I have read the author's preface and Benson's foreward. Benson's forward is exclusively about communism. I did not see any references to black people in it. I have not yet read the book, but will out of curiosity.

The cover is appalling, and I can't believe any rational person would associate himself with such a cover.

My mother's family escaped Soviet Russia illegally, and entered the USA legally. Decades later We all visited the USSR right before the Berlin Wall fell. Communism really does suck. There was nothing in the shops to sell, the food was bad, the people grumpy and graceless. The mayor turned on the heat for an entire city with one switch, there was only one radio channel spewing propaganda. The water looked like apple juice and my letters home were censored with a black marker. Soviet Communism was no joke. No freedom of speech, and if you were religious you came under suspicion. We took Grandpa Vasily there with us and he was terrified they would not let him back out to punish him for sneaking out, even tho 60 years had elapsed. Their brand of communism was a seriously scarey system. Kind of like North Korea.

So even though the cover on this book looks vicious, I'm going to read the book to see if ETB was correct in affixing his foreward to it. We cringe about McCarthyism. McC was a deceitful man, but he was right to some extent. The govt was being infiltrated with communists...not sure the extent.

We Russians blend in pretty well since we are the real Caucasians. We were viewed with great suspicions by some members of our ward, especially our bishop. We were told not to talk about it. Bottom line; I'm thrilled to be a first generation American.

Date: February 05, 2015 03:07AM

(a) agreed to write the foreword for a book authored by a couple of racist Mormon wackos who dedicated the book to a group of California-assigned LDS missionaries;

(b) agreed to write the foreword for said book, knowing that it would would be used to promote the book;

(c) allowed the book's racist authors to banner-head ETB's name on the book's racist cover; and

(d) did all this as a racist himself who fervently believed and broadcast his Bircher-driven conspiracy tale that Black Marxists were working hand-in-glove with the Communist Soviet Union to destroy America from within.

There are plenty of tie-ins (via commonly-shared beliefs and agendas) that brought these fellow LDS racists into cahoots and which led ETB to write the foreword for a book whose cause he clearly supported. (Hell, read ETB's anti-civil rights screeds where he ties in American "Negroes" with Russian Commies--as graphically depicted in the book's ghoulishly racist cover art).

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2015 03:24AM by steve benson.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: February 03, 2015 11:04AM

My shelf is broken now, too, and I don't even have one. :)

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: February 03, 2015 11:16AM

That sickens me.

TG

Posted by: Carol ( )
Date: February 03, 2015 11:30AM

Posted by: copolt ( )
Date: February 03, 2015 11:37AM

Who would have thought that those attitudes from the 1850's, that helped "excuse" Brigham Young's opinion of black people, would have such a long shelf-life.

Well, if we excuse Brigham Young, I suppose we should also give E T B the benefit of the doubt.(not)

Posted by: almostthere ( )
Date: February 03, 2015 12:19PM

Date: February 03, 2015 12:37PM

Wow, the author is super racist. Benson doesn't actually mention race at all in his foreward. He just goes on and on about the moral outrage of Communism and how we have betrayed our country and soldiers by trading with the enemy. He's really emotional and sounds like a nut job. It's probably not super relevant to any mormon doctrine, but it does make Benson sound a bit crazy.

Date: February 03, 2015 12:37PM

Is the author Mormon?

Posted by: jerry64 ( )
Date: February 03, 2015 04:35PM

...for their interest and prayers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2015 05:04PM by jerry64.

Date: February 05, 2015 03:27AM

. . . tract out Black people. But maybe they could still bring themselves to pray for them.

(P.S.--I provide a link further down in this thread to a post that goes into some detail about the book and its history).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2015 03:29AM by steve benson.

Posted by: Senorita Lamanita ( )
Date: February 03, 2015 06:50PM

And here is a despicable quote from the book, which makes me want to vomit in my mouth:

"It is well to remember that the entire Negro race in America
has been the subject of a massive Pavlovian exercise ,
wherein the Negro has been conditioned by the Establishment
to react to certain response stimuli : Block Power is a programmed part of this exercise in terror .

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 03, 2015 12:21PM

That cover illustrates the ugliness of mid-century Mormonism in all its blood-drenched hatred. That was what they gave me for mother's milk. And I'm the hater?

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: February 03, 2015 12:23PM

Wow, after 7 years of being shocked with my LDS discoveries, I thought there just isn't anything else left to be shocked about. I've seen it all haven't I?

And here I am surprised to see this.

Foreword by the Hon. ETB

Wow, what a seal of approval for the authors.

Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: February 03, 2015 05:10PM

Holy bat shit!! Just when I think nothing can shock me anymore.

This will be my nighttime reading.....

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: February 03, 2015 07:24PM

Oh my goodness! I wouldn't even want to read a book with an ugly disturbing cover like that. Ezra Taft Benson sure managed to get himself into a lot of trouble and sure managed to hide it from the church membership well.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 03, 2015 08:35PM

The profile of the black guy on the cover reminds me of the profiles of Jews as portrayed by the Nazis.

Posted by: saanhetna ( )
Date: February 04, 2015 12:16AM

So were copies in the Library of Congress removed. There must be a physical copy somewhere. Anyone?

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: February 04, 2015 12:51AM

That has to the most fucked-up racist picture conceivable. How could any intelligent individual condone such a disturbing book and then lend credence by writing an introduction using the term the "honorable" ETB? Even by Mo-racist standards, this is over-the-top.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: February 04, 2015 12:54AM

It's also too bad that you can't forward the picture to Dallin Oaks. Maybe if he saw the picture and the ETB support he'd re-think his "we don't give apologies" policy.

Posted by: toad ( )
Date: February 04, 2015 01:04AM

I'm a lurker. Nevermo that seeks to understand extended family members and friends that have shunned me for the church. This has broken my shelf... and I never even knew I had one!

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: February 04, 2015 02:08AM

Finally something that might do it for my cousin who I been trying to get out for a long time. Her daughter in law is black which means two of her grandkids are half black and she adores them all. This finally might do it.

She mentioned something to the effect that she had a shelf that was cracked (not in those words but that is how it came across) but that she just felt too tired to fix it and/or deal with it.

THANKS for posting

"Maybe if he saw the picture and the ETB support he'd re-think his "we don't give apologies" policy." - I don't think that would have any impact on Dallin Chokes (and I wish he would!). He is evil to the bone.

"Ezra Taft Benson sure managed to get himself into a lot of trouble and sure managed to hide it from the church membership well." - why do you think this was hidden from the CULT's members? I imagine they all knew about it and agreed with him. Most in the CULT are racist assholes.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2015 02:11AM by verilyverily.

Posted by: the investigator ( )
Date: February 04, 2015 04:39AM

you have to remove society was very different back in 1650.
Even elohim was a racist back then.

Date: February 04, 2015 04:52AM

. . . and I wish to publicly apologize for it, dammit:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1504889

Edited 14 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2015 07:58AM by steve benson.

Posted by: generationofvipers ( )
Date: February 04, 2015 12:54PM

Not blaming you, Steve haha.

It's too bad that he was so caught up in the politics he was. He was actually a pretty eloquent communicator and I am sure he was very intelligent.

But that picture! That is worse than a million words of hate.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 05, 2015 03:22AM

ETB Hisself was into this:

"Civil Rights, Tool of Communist Deception"

go ahead Morgites, Deny this one....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.