Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: LDSHeterodox ( )
Date: August 14, 2017 12:00PM

While it might seem strange asking this question to a bunch of Exmos, you all seem o know much more about the church and any active LDS!

So, does anybody know how many endowments for the dead are done each year? Also, about how many endowments have been done since the beginning?

There must be some studies, leaks, ext. that can point to a good estimate.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 14, 2017 12:08PM

In 1988, the church made a big deal of announcing that "100 million" endowments for the dead had been done.

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1988/11/news-of-the-church/100-million-endowments-performed-for-the-dead?lang=eng

One blogger estimated in 2015 that the annual count was 10 million per year:

https://medium.com/@jellistx/how-many-souls-are-mormon-temples-saving-8f7f27681714

It appears, however, that despite more temples, that number has gone *down* instead of up.

Whatever the "official" numbers are, it's a tiny fraction of thew world's total population, now or ever.

Posted by: not logged in ( )
Date: August 14, 2017 12:17PM

That's not as straightforward a question as you may imagine, due to the church recycling names. There aren't enough original names submitted for the temple mills to operate, so they push the same ones through over and over. As a result, a significant percentage of endowments, perhaps even the majority, are not first-timers.

Some of the Mayflower Pilgrims have had their endowments done 80-100 times, for example. Hell, Anne Frank had hers done something like nine times before the church was called out.

So even if you do find a "total endowments" number, it won't be anything close to "number of people endowed." And vice versa.

Posted by: cutekitty ( )
Date: August 14, 2017 03:14PM

Remember, it is all FAKE anyway.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: August 14, 2017 04:31PM

Not only is it fake. The whole temple thing is meaningless.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 14, 2017 04:50PM

The square root of SFA in my case.

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: August 14, 2017 07:11PM

I'm really interested in the numbers too -because- there's no way it's possible without recycling names. I mean, at some point, there just aren't going to be obtainable names.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 14, 2017 07:33PM

Now THAT would be a media nightmare (if anyone actually cared what mormons are up to anyway)-- add up all the records of BFD by repeated names, not just total numbers advertised.

Investigators and journalists finding a long list that includes George Washington, Anne Frank, Adolf Hitler, Genghis Khan, Isaac Newton, Groucho Marx, etc. listed with multiple dead-dunkings, and it can't be dismissed as a simple clerical error, but cultish busy work that's waaaay outside the advertised "proxy baptism for family members"...

Helen Radkey, where are you....?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/08/helen-radkey-mormon-baptisms-harassment-accusation_n_1333267.html

P.S. I just checked: I still only have the endowment I was born with, but it doesn't seem quite as endowed as it was when I was 21.....

Posted by: fordescape ( )
Date: August 14, 2017 08:47PM

So who gets to go through the temple for the Pilgrims? I only did names of deceased relatives.

Oh, but does it matter these days anyway?

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: August 14, 2017 09:30PM

Rumors are that walk-ins for baptisms at the temple in my area have to bring their own names. Not sure how that works or why they care.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.