Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sam ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 03:25PM

I do not post on here very often. But, as lifetime member/leader in the Mormon Church, I can say it is never too late. I was a Bishop, on the High Council three times, EQP, and so forth.

After finding out the "truth" about this church, I struggled for a number of years to muster up the courage to do what I needed to do. I was trapped (it felt like) and was in shock. I had doubts along the way, even when I served as a Bishop. But, when I finally spend dozens of hours reading the "real" early history of the church and the work of many pioneers of this movement, I knew I had to do something. Watching the church respond to many of these claims and telling half-truths or just lies, I was outraged. When you spend your life devoted to this church and serving in many capacities, it is not easy to leave. It takes some guts (or at least it did for me).

Well, I left the church and ended up getting a divorce. This resulted in a conflict with one of my children (it has gotten a little better, however).

I found a loving woman who was also once a Mormon. We now have peace and love in our relationship. While many cultists shun me and gossip about me, I don't care. I am happy and KNOW I did the right thing. The church disgusts me. It seems like it is more of a commercial real estate company than a church. It will do anything to protect its power base and its base of followers. I know that many have left and many want to leave but are afraid to, mostly for family reasons.

Well, my point is that you can gain peace, love, and a new life. For me, it took a long time and it was painful. But, it was worth it. I would imagine the longer a person is in the church and the more devoted, the tougher it is to leave and change your life. But, the truth is the truth, the facts are the facts, and, I cannot change any of that.

I appreciate so much those that have stood up against the false claims of the church and have been persecuted by the church. Without them, I don't think I could have done this. Their examples (Jeremy Runnells and John Dehlin have especially been helpful to me in recent years) have been priceless to me.

I wish everyone peace of mind and love no matter what your situation might be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2017 08:02PM by sam.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 03:37PM

I'm glad you have found peace, love, and happiness.

Sometimes, when you first figure out the church isn't true, it's hard to imagine that things will actually end up better than before.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 03:41PM

Congratulations to you. It's funny how the church preaches integrity but expects the opposite from their members. It takes a great deal of courage and integrity to stand up to the lies and dishonesty that is the church.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 04:35PM

I'm just a nobody, and a woman, besides, so less than a nobody, in the Mormon context.

For me, too, it was difficult, though I didn't lose a spouse. I really do have sympathy for those who's marriage ends, because of the cult.

The new life can be different than expected! I was raised to be a SAHM, and not a career woman. My life has been far more interesting and growth-promoting, than it would have been, had I been confined to Mormonism. Plus, I have really HELPED PEOPLE (not just the wealthy LDS commercial real-estate co.) through my job.

BONUS!! My children turned out to be wonderful, loving, honest, happy, successful human beings! There was nothing I ever wanted more than this, yet, this happened after living almost an opposite life, from that of a pampered RS Mormon SAHM.

Congratulations on your new, and better marriage. Time and observation will bring your one child around. Who knows, what you did might turn your child's life around, too.

Like Imaworkinonit says, "Things will actually end up better than before."

Date: August 13, 2017 04:53PM

Thanks very much Breeze. I appreciate the encouragement and your wise words.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 04:51PM

Nothing will screw with your relationship with the divine quite like Mormonism. Get therapy if you can, even if you feel you don't need it.

You might have a "why me?" feeling. Don't. The seed of the most beautiful flower needs nourishment. Sometimes that's a ton of horse shit.

So, congratulations on being the flower, not the shit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2017 04:58PM by bradley.

Date: August 13, 2017 04:54PM

Thanks bradley. I relate to your post.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 06:50PM

IN ~ on positive exmo testimony thred ~

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 07:20PM

Thank you that gives me hope to keep pressing forward

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 07:44PM

Great post. Thanks for writing. It is stories like yours that help others realize that they can escape the cult and life will get better. It is often a challenging transition and life improves dramatically.

Posted by: Anon370855V ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 08:24PM

Eric K Wrote:
--------------------------------------------------
> Great post. Thanks for writing. It is stories
> like yours that help others realize that they can
> escape the cult and life will get better. It is
> often a challenging transition and life improves
> dramatically.
==================================================

And a hearty thank you and well-done to you, Eric, and everyone else, past and present, who has made this such a comfortable place to be!

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 09:13PM

When I was a teen, I had a miraculous experience where my overwhelming cravings for nicotine disappeared. I was sure this was absolute proof that the LDS church was true, because They would not baptize me before I was able to quit. I stayed in the church long, long after becoming disillusioned with it. I had many experiences with wondering why the Holy Ghost didn't seem to work, why nobody ever seemed to get any promptings about important things like the stories I had read in the Ensign. Why priesthood leaders never seemed to have any discernment, blamed innocent people for things and and even spread false rumors (the Holy Ghost impressed them, you see).

Finally, when I had learned way too much of the true LDS history, I knew that it couldn't possibly be true and walked away forever. But I have deep regrets that I had never listened to my instincts in earlier years, watching the Holy Ghost stuff that never really worked out.

The nicotine miracle? I have read about a very similar experience in the Alcoholics Anonymous Big Blue Book by Bill W. Also in his biography. Only it was alcohol instead of tobacco. It never had anything to do with the Mormon church.

Posted by: shapeshifter ( )
Date: August 13, 2017 09:21PM

Great share. Thanks Sam. Good for you for figuring it out and finding real happiness. I really wish my parents (in their 70s) would see the light and leave but I know they are way too invested at this point and work really hard to keep themselves in denial and quell all the doubts that I know come up (because they have to when the whole 'church' is based on lies and manipulation).

I still hope for my younger siblings maybe they can figure it out and get out. I'm the only one who left so it's lonely sometimes in my family being the outsider but I know I can't try to tell them the truth about their 'church' as they will just see me as the bad guy and totally cut me off. As it is I want to be there for them if they do ever get to the point of being brave enough (you are right it takes a lot of bravery and courage to oust oneself from the cult for sure), so I try to maintain a friendly relationship, limiting though it is because of the great divide the cult creates between members and non members, esp. between members and apostate family..

Anyway good for you!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.