Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 04:21PM

...that left his occupation to follow Jesus?

And, on the other hand, who was the poorest apostle that left his occupation to follow the Prophet, Seer, and Revelator?

Class, discuss.

Bueller? Bueller?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: deco ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 04:44PM

We do not know because of the secrecy of LDS finances.

We could speculate on the previous careers of apostles, such as those promoted from CES being less affluent.

What we do not know, and what is most important, is how big the spoils are after their coronation.

I would consider any salary/stipend, jet use, executive homes, lines of credit etc to be perks rather than a wealth base.

The real wealth of these guys and the unknown LDS power brokers would come in the form of contracts and determining contracts and who receives them.

Whether they be for real estate consulting, sitting on boards of directors of LDS industries, or most likely direct kickbacks for contract approvals..this is where the big money is at…and there is nobody to oversee this. This is why other companies never use the Corporation Sole business model. There are huge security issues with the model.

Date: January 29, 2015 04:56PM

Such a serious answer! :-)

Actually, I was just being kind a $#@*head for the day, since I don't one plumber, fisherman, or ex-tax collector has ever been called to be an LDS apostle.

Oh, wait, it doesn't matter that they have a few bucks in the bank, they're.....*humble*. Yeah, that's the ticket!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 05:02PM

Probably Brigham Young.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 06:00PM

I was going to say that, but did not. Then I saw that you had said it, and I was glad. Bully Brigham was a MORmON apostle / ASSpostHOLE. Brigham Young is often given credit for a lot of things, but he is hardly ever mentioned as one of the first, if not the very first Millionaire (when a Million really was an exceptional amount of wealth) in 19th century Utah, when his tyrannical predatory thieving money grubbing obsession was one of his foremost attributes.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 05:39PM

Of the current 15, I would guess Hales.

Has anyone ever even seen a SP in the US that isn't relatively wealthy? Looking back, I think the SP's of the stakes I've been in have always been among the 5-10 wealthiest people in the stake.

The first SP I can remember was a business owner...married into money, probably worth 10's of millions. He was later called as an area authority and mission president.

Next was also a business owner...self made millionaire, drove fancy cars, had a yacht, etc...

Next was a lawyer...didn't know him very well, but he was very wealthy.

Next was a dentist...had the biggest house in the stake (of any house, not just members' homes), sports car, boat, etc...

Next was a business owner...married into money, worth tens of millions, drives a $100k car, is now an area authority.

Most of these guys were nice guys, but also VERY out of touch with reality. I get the feeling that the 15, when creating a new stake, just interview the 5 wealthiest, tithe-paying members and pick the one that kisses their butt the most.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 05:44PM

Chump Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I get the feeling that
> the 15, when creating a new stake, just interview
> the 5 wealthiest, tithe-paying members and pick
> the one that kisses their butt the most.

Actually, this is exactly how it is done. A GA comes in and reviews the tithing records. Then a number of high priests and bishops in the stake are asked to make recommendations, usually a top three.

Then there supposedly is a lot of prayer but me thinks the spirit is coaxed along by some nifty cross-referencing...

Posted by: templenamegabriel ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 09:09AM

My favorite Stake President is a PE teacher at a local Elementery School. He's the only one I've ever seen that wasn't wealthy

Posted by: gress40 ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 06:12PM

Growing up as a "yute", I lived in SW NM in a town 75 miles from stake hdqtrs. Our SP just happened to live in our small ward. He was a lawyer making only a moderste income and with a growing family. The ages of his children spanned 20-25 yrs. They lived in a nice but very modest home. And as I said it was 75 miles to stake center that he had to travel. I've been out of the church for nearly 30 yrs but will always remember that man with warmth and affection. He went on to become a federal judge and also served in state legislature

Posted by: heberjgrunt ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 06:23PM

Brigham Young was the wealthiest man west of the Mississippi in his day. Of the current 12, I suspect Hales or Perry but really have no idea. Technically Tommy boy is one of the richest players in the world given that the Corporation is a Corporate Sole and he is the only shareholder. He is worth billions.

Regarding the Stake President thingy, as long as I can remember my SP was either a doctor or a very successful businessman. Occasionally a humble lawyer.

Recently they called a new SP in my Stake and I was shocked to learn he ain't rich. He is the exception to the rule, though.

Posted by: gress40 ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 06:53PM

Yes, HJG, I should have added the exception proving the rule to my post too.

Date: January 29, 2015 06:51PM

OK, point made. Jesus didn't choose *one* rich guy to follow him. Or if one of the 12 had some dough, he didn't get a stipend from JC.

LDS Inc. is all about the bass (as long as the bass=money).

Posted by: emmahailyes ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 08:34AM

We had the rien of terror, a CES Stake President. Nothing worse than a company man in the mission field.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 11:07AM

Henry D. Moyle (sometimes referred to as "Henry D. Money") has to be in the top five. Once he reportedly gave David O. McKay a brand new top of the line Cadillac.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 03:02PM

They all need to be independently wealthy, it seems to me as they must be successful in their field. They are not slouches, or pi*s poor! They have an image of success to present.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: January 30, 2015 03:10PM

I would guess that would make TSM a VERY likely candidate for top-money'd dog.

A more interesting question might be which "Corporate Soul" has been the richest? -- and I'm hoping it is NOT TSM. Meaning the church is going in the right direction from my perspective.

I'm hoping all those empty condos in City Creek and ignored temples are pulling very hard at Tommy's pocketbook.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.