Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lilburne ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 02:52PM

During the broadcast Elder Oaks noted,

"I know that the history of the church is not to seek apologies or to give them," Oaks said in an interview. "We sometimes look back on issues and say, 'Maybe that was counterproductive for what we wish to achieve,' but we look forward and not backward." http://www.sltrib.com/lifestyl

Just to reiterate;

The church doesn't "seek apologies," he said, "and we don't give them." "

Can someone please help Elder Oaks out with LDS doctrine here? I'm pretty sure as an RM that the repentance lesson explained that when we do something wrong we first Recognise it, Regret it, make Restitution, and Refrain from doing it again.

Can I point out that to make Restitution entails apologising. Sometimes profusely. Infact if you search lds.org you'll find this theme over and over in church teachings....but according to Oaks it doesn't apply to the church!

Just one example from the mighty ensign a work classed as scripture...

"Besides a sincere apology, repentance includes striving to forsake our shortcomings and weaknesses." https://www.lds.org/ensign/2011/09/repentance-and-forgiveness-in-marriage?lang=eng

Yep that's pretty clear that an apology is part of repentance.

So Oaks is saying that when the church does something wrong, like teach race and skin colour are related to transgression in either the pre-existence or because of Cain, it doesn't need to apologize.

Do as we say not as we do?

Follow the example of the church leaders? They can't lead you astray right?

No wonder they don't let these guys speak outside the teleprompter - this is another fine example of how to evidence their statements barely sound thought through let alone inspired.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2015 02:53PM by lilburne.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 02:57PM

it's only because their handlers got involved.

God help the sorry lot.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 03:03PM

No god. They're f***ed!

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 03:01PM

Repentance is in the same category as having faith, cleaning the church and paying tithing. They're requirements only for the little people.

Keep in mind that Oaks and the others are above repentance because they've received a second anointing. They can do no wrong.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2015 03:24PM by want2bx.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 04:33PM

What a telling statement coming from the mouth of a lawyer and a so-called apostle of the Lord. Oaks said, "I know that the history of the church is not to seek apologies or to give them," and goes on to imply that is the way the church can move forward and not backward.

My making this statement he is, as far as my view goes, admitting that his society does make use of 'apology-giving' to go forward, but his church DOES NOT HAVE TO DO THIS. Plus, as a trained lawyer, he IS fully aware that our society and laws in American function on this principle of being held accountable and repentance, or restitution.

He really thinks he is God himself, doesn't he, as he excuses 'his' church from the need of making any apologies?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2015 04:37PM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: annon1 ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 04:47PM

He's high up in church management. He doesn't apologize to anyone. It's not how I would view a real apostle of Jesus Christ. He comes under the "delusion of grandeur" definition. (A fixed, false belief that one possesses superior qualities such as genius, fame, omnipotence, or wealth. It's most often a symptom of schizophrenia, but can also be found psychotic or bipolar disorders, as well as dementia, such as Alzheimer's.)

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 07:00PM

I know that he is an arrogant asshole, but perhaps having him say what he did is really the best thing that could have happened? I mean, it clearly demonstrates the true nature of the beast that is mo'ism. Let the buffoon speak, he only makes the idiocy more transparent.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.