Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 01:16PM

After fruitless googling and *not* watching the ExMo Conf. video all the way through, I can't find satisfaction. Is it possible that JS, Sr. would have used this this very book when he taught, influencing JS, Jr. to steal the idea for the BoM?

He stole everything else....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sunshine ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 01:17PM

He didn't need to. Oliver Cowdrey and his dad would have taught it.

They were both schoolteachers.

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 01:32PM

Does it really matter? It's unquestionable from the textual parallels that The Late War influenced the BoM.

Posted by: johnnyboy ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 01:32AM

is there any update on the late war correlation? it seems to have gone quiet lately.

I saw on the website about it that there was more info coming but nothing has been updated in a long time.

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 02:21AM

As a matter of fact, on another board, an updated blog posting was advertised from one of the researchers (Duane):

http://blog.wordtree.org/2015/01/28/presentation-the-late-war-the-book-of-mormon/

The posting seems like a rehash of what was said originally. Duane did say this on the other board though:

"Chris (my brother and co-researcher) has reduced his level of confidence in the significance of our original study, because one of its weaknesses is it does not take in to account 4-grams that appear rare due to variation in subsequences of more common words. In other words, it's possible to come up with a rare 4-gram using common words (e.g. "their cries and their") but even though this phrase is unusual it's quite conceivable that another author could randomly come up with this phrase independently. I agree with him, and so we're working on a way of taking this in to account. The reason I'm still confident The Late War is related by more than chance is the high frequency of phrases that also turned out to have thematic and plot parallels. More study is needed, though."

Posted by: johnnyboy ( )
Date: January 31, 2015 02:36AM

thank you for that info :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.