Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nathaniel ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 11:47AM

While a missionary in California in the early 1980s "The God Makers" film was being shown around, and we were spit at and threatened by "Christians" all the time. Several of the Elders were beaten. Sometimes cars would try to run our bikes off the road. Your story below. Please include year(s) and mission. Please be specific.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 01:26PM

I was in the Carolina mission late 90's and yes they would spit at the missionaries. I had that happen once riding a bike and someone rolled down their window to do that. There were places way up in the Smokey's where the mountain people lived that we knew not to go. Mainly primative baptists live there. Outsiders were not welcome. There were Appalachian rednecks that lived 40 miles up dirt roads without plumbing and electricity. There were stories of violence into the late 90's, beating the "j-dubs." The scotch-irish can be really backwards in places?

Posted by: truenomore ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 06:32PM

Served in Bolivia in the mid 80s.

Most of the population is Catholic by birth - hence - "Christian".

Had dynamite sticks tossed my way by marching/protesting miners who threatened us for being Americans - yes, it was lit.

Held ransom on a bus with a companion by a group of thugs until I was willing to give up some money. I was threatened with my life if I didn't give up some money.

Best 2 Years of My Life.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 06:52PM

I'd love to ask those Christians what their Jesus would think of their behavior. Jesus is always portrayed as a compassionate gentle man by the very fuckin' barbarians who do evil in his name. JMHO.

Ron Burr

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.