Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 06:17AM

I spent my TBM days wondering why men would come home and pour some kind of stiff drink before sitting down. On TV you see the likes of Lord Grantham and Jack Donaghy pouring a whiskey and sitting down. Now that I've got a taste for decent whiskey (smoky, hints of vanilla) myself, I understand its appeal. An ounce or so of it really DOES sort you out when you come home from your usual frustrations and road traffic. Doesn't give me a buzz, just relaxes me. Then I'm good to go and can have a decent and non-confrontational conversation. Too bad we miss out on some of these things growing up TBM.

Brethren and Cistern, it is my testimony that this really does work, which I leave with you in His holey, wholly, holy name, even Cheese and Rice.

(What can be said about beer? I raise my hands over my head and cry, Beer-ahu Akbar! Akbar, I tell you. Really, really akbar.)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 09:33AM

I thought that was what coffee was for?

Date: January 29, 2015 10:04AM

Coffee gets me going. It's something I love to drink in the morning on my deck while closely supervising my cat as he gets some outside time.

Posted by: Visitor ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 09:49AM

I concur with your observations.
A nice, sensibly sized strong drink upon returning home from a days work is very satisfying and great part of normal life.

I believe the ritual is improved even more if whisky with the correct spelling is involved. ;o)

I particularly enjoy a nice Laphroaig, Talisker, or Laguvalin when sitting down for a few minutes after work. No ice, drop of water, pure heaven.

Date: January 29, 2015 10:02AM

See, I can't even spell it right. Like burbon.

Posted by: visitor ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 10:15AM

You spelled whiskey correctly, but better whisky does not need an 'e', or ice for that matter. ;)

Date: January 29, 2015 10:21AM

I see now. I wasn't catching on. I also have not put out for real expensive stuff. My artist son does, though. He'll go for a couple of months with no income and then suddenly be paid $30,000 for some piece. He celebrates by going out and spending $200 on a bottle of Scotch. At this point in my life the max I've spent was $45 for a pint. Usually my imported stuff extends no farther than Canada.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2015 10:22AM by cludgie.

Posted by: Visitor ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 10:50AM

Scotch Whisky is a funny thing. It is not uniform, and it is not all similar.

Spending more money does not always get you better tasting whisky, sometimes more money means better marketed whisky, or stuff that has been aged longer.

Aging does not always improve the whisky. For example, my personal preference is for 10 year old Laphraoig, I have had a bottle of 18 year old, but I didn't enjoy it as much as it had lost the "edge", whatever the un-quantifiable edge is.

I've had Johnny Walker Blue ($200 a bottle stuff) and it was nice, but I still preferred 10 year old Laphraoig ($50 a bottle).

I suggest you branch out and try a little Scotch. My only advice would be at least spend $40-60 on the bottle, and if you can pronounce it, and you recognize the brand (Glenlivet, Glenfiddich), then you should probably avoid that one and pick something that just doesn't look like you can begin to say it correctly. Not until you are 1/4 way through the bottle in a single sitting anyway. Then you can pronounce it perfectly. ;)

One more piece of advice, to those who claim they cannot drink Scotch Whisky because it too over-powering. You are drinking it too fast if that is how you feel.
Very slow sips, almost just wetting the lips to get the taste lets you truly experience just how good and smooth even the most peaty (smokey) whisky's are.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 10:28AM

I too will occasionally enjoy a wee dram of my favorite single malt scotch or a rum and Coke and more often a fine craft beer. It's good for my soul.

Ron Burr

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.