Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Deluded ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 09:16PM

Tomorrow at 1:15 PM Oaks will appear on Trib Talk, and the Salt Lake Tribune is asking for questions that can be submitted at "hashtag #TribTalk on Twitter and Google+ or texting 801-609-8059." See http://www.sltrib.com/news/2112602-155/tomorrow-at-115-pm-lds-apostles
I think we should ask:

"Mr. Oaks, you previously wrote a Law Review Article entitled "The Popular Myth of the Victimless Crime," University of Chicago Law Alumni Journal (1975): 3–14. Within that article you argue that Homosexuality should remain a crime to be investigated by law enforcement. Do you still support this position? Would the LDS church support such a law?"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: antilehinephi ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 09:28PM

Wow. Great question. How did you find that information? I bet money your question is not asked. But I would love love love to see how Mr. Oaks tries to wiggle his way out of that one. Good job.

Posted by: funeraltaters ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 11:22PM

antilehinephi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow. Great question. How did you find that
> information? I bet money your question is not
> asked. But I would love love love to see how Mr.
> Oaks tries to wiggle his way out of that one. Good
> job.

Why do you think that question wont be asked?

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 12:41AM

We'll find out what type of a reporter she is. She asked John Dehlin questions that are raised by TBM's regarding his church membership.

These guys have walked into a land mine in my opinion. A few good questions will just add fuel to the fire.

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 01:09PM

I agree. Does she want to keep her job, or prove she's a legitimate reporter/journalist?

Date: January 28, 2015 09:31PM

See also here for a quote Oaks gave on this issue:

"sex crimes such as adultery, fornication, prostitution, homosexuality, and other forms of deviate sexual behavior." He further states: "I concede the abuses and risks of invasion of privacy that are involved in the enforcement of such crimes and therefore concede the need for extraordinary supervision of the enforcement process. I am even willing to accept a strategy of extremely restrained enforcement of private, noncommercial sexual offenses. I favor retaining these criminal penalties primarily because of the standard-setting and teaching function of these laws on sexual morality and their support of society's exceptional interest in the integrity of the family... Preservation of the public health, safety, and morals is a traditional concern of legislation. This does not justify laws in furtherance of the special morality of a particular group, but it does justify legislation in support of standards of right and wrong of sufficient general acceptance that they can qualify as "collective morality." In the exercise of its important but underestimated standard setting function, the law should teach observance of that collective morality, thus preserving the essential relationship between the moral values of citizens and the requirements and teachings of law..."

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/opinion/utah-valley/af-law-may-backfire/article_691c86b2-1c79-5b4f-88d2-208d4d9dde58.html A little more than half-way down the page.

Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 07:09AM

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 12:25PM

He's just dying to get into everyone's bedroom.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 09:34PM

I have one: "How do you live with yourself?"

Date: January 28, 2015 09:40PM

Why is he so homophobic?

Posted by: haeckel ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 08:27AM

oaks is so homophobic because i believe he is a closeted homosexual. i say this because i was cruised by him in the salt lake intl. airport, to which my never-mo gay friend, who was standing next to me, asked if i had just seen that (the brazen cruising). when i told my friend who oaks was, he was gobsmacked. in my opinion, the reason the church is so homophobic is because it still harbors old-school closeted gays who created a society wherein they could operate, much like the catholic priesthood.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 09:41PM

What a self righteous prick this guy is. I know exactly how he lives with himself. He thinks he was born to tell the rest of us what to do.

Date: January 28, 2015 10:28PM

+1. He is incredibly ego-centric. He believes everything he tells himself.

Posted by: readbooks ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 11:03PM

My question is "Why don't you release the church financial records?"

Posted by: ferdchet ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 11:08PM

My question would be "do you plan to apologize to all of the people who had their genitals electrocuted on your watch, in the name of keeping them from being gay?"

But I like Deluded's question too. Probably more likely to get answered than mine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2015 11:08PM by ferdchet.

Date: January 29, 2015 12:43AM

This question is a no-brainer. I see this as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for this reporter to put herself on the map. We'll see what she's made of. She doesn't have to be rude. Just ask simple questions. Your suggestion is perfect.

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 11:13PM

Jurassic Park called, they want their dinosaur back.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 12:45AM

deluded - please submit that question and report back to us if he actually gets asked it.
I wonder if they have someone monitoring the questions which get asked. If so, it will all be watered down and not worth watching.

Date: January 29, 2015 12:49AM

I think these mormons will be hung tomorrow. I'm not expecting it to be some stuttering admission or for the reporter to hammer them.

If she just asks some straight ahead questions and let's them talk, these guys won't be able to help but expose themselves.

Posted by: srlowther ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 03:08AM

You said the Church doesn't apologize. Yet there were two apologies issued during your apostolic tenure. One was for the Mountain Meadows Massacre, and the other was for baptizing Holocaust victims. Why did you say the Church doesn't apologize?

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 07:44AM

Good one.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 07:04AM

I predict that this will be scripted and that he will not tolerate questions shot from the hip.

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 07:48AM

According to you, Elder Oaks, the Church neither seeks nor offers any apologies. So could you explain again the repentance process as you see it and explain why it is so important for your membership to do something that the church itself sees as completely unnecessary?

Posted by: blacks ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 08:19AM

I'd just like to hear a response to how blacks and LGBT differ in the eyes of the church leaders.

If you can claim religious exemption to discriminate against LGBT, would you also support the "religious freedom" to discriminate against blacks? Please tell me how these two situations are any different?

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 08:36AM

Why does a self proclaimed apostle of Jesus Christ only answer pre-screened pre-approved questions?

Date: January 29, 2015 12:22PM

I submitted the question. Bet it does not get asked.

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 01:11PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2015 02:34PM by jiminycricket.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 01:29PM

And Oaks made that statement in 1975! Not that long ago. Hard to believe the Mormon church is so far behind the times. If not for the Internet,they would still be stuck in 1975.

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 01:30PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2015 02:34PM by jiminycricket.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 01:36PM

I would ask him if he thinks it's ok for employers to fire people based on their sexual orientation.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 01:36PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.