Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: michael anderson ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 07:45PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 07:47PM

Hahahahahah! I'm so sorry darlin.'

;o)

Posted by: anontoday ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 07:54PM

most of the mormons i know- I can't stand either. they're not so nice to those with differing beliefs and opinions.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 07:56PM

Dump the people you can't stand to make room and time to get to know people you like

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2015 07:57PM by MJ.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 08:03PM

I don't know how old you are, or where you live, or how much mobility you have right now...but is it possible for you to stretch your present boundaries a bit???

Do you have any way to connect with people who are about the same age as you (if you're still a minor)...or who have the same interests as you do, but are not Mormon...or start to explore interests you think you MIGHT have, if you only had the opportunity to explore them???

What in your area is at least theoretically available to you, but has NON-Mormons (or a LOT of NON-Mormons, anyway) doing it???

It may take a number of tries before you connect with people who could actually be friends, but once you connect with SOMEONE, they will lead you to another...which will give you another idea to explore...which will lead you to someone else...

At first it will likely feel VERY "artificial" to you...but once you get this going, you will get better and better at it.

In the end, you will have a bunch of NON-Mormon friends (and maybe romantic interests, too), and a MUCH richer life...

Start anywhere...and you can wind up clear aross the WORLD if you want to.

The ancient Chinese saying is TRUE: "Journey of one thousand miles begins with first step."

Good luck!!!!!!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2015 08:04PM by tevai.

Posted by: Michael Anderson ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 08:13PM

Utah. Mormons are in my house my school and almost every house in my neighborhood. All I hear Are questions about why I don't go to seminary. When am I going to go on a mission My parents act like there is something wrong with me just because I have questions and told them probably not going on a mission. Mormons don't respect my opinion even though I do well in school

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 10:11PM

Most of the world isn't Mormon. You are seeing only a small slice of life, Michael. Someday you will see the bigger world. They can't see out of the fishbowl, but you know that something bigger and better is out there.

Posted by: ferdchet ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 11:14PM

Yeah it's tough there. Out of state school is a good bet. Or if you can't get out of state, the U is a solution. Plenty of heathens up there if you know what I mean.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the church, but there are plenty of mormons who are very dear to me (wife, kids, parents, extended family, old friends, etc.). I would say that it is tough sometimes but it's worth keeping those relationships.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 08:17PM

Can you move in with some friends once you turn 18 ?

You could also say you need some time, and you want a year or two of college while you make up your mind about a mission.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 08:30PM

Not being free to question, to wonder, to consider and to discuss freely is a truly hard thing to endure.

But, we all have to pay our dues. Work hard at school and get a job. Being self reliant is the best thing on earth.

I won't lie. I left Utah the second I could. I live in diversity now and I love it. People are interested in exchanging opinions rather than forcing them on each other. The opposite of the Mormon way.

Hang in there. Just make smart choices the next few years because there are a lot of wonderful things on the planet to set your sights on and you're going to enjoy it when you finally find the other people like yourself.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 08:32PM

If you're almost 18, you can check out what's available at your local military recruiting office. Once you are 18, you can commit to a start date which begins after you graduate from high school.

Someone in my family had great success in the Air Force, including round-the-world travel (his goal).

In any case, you would be trained for a job, would be paid from the moment you report for duty, would have access to higher education almost immediately if you want it, and you would DEFINITELY be in a NON-Mormon environment!!!

Check out all of the services (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines), see if any seem to be a good fit for you, and then see what is available. If you're getting good grades, you'll likely be in line for one of the better jobs (STEM jobs...or jobs in intelligence, etc.).

The military is one of the traditional and reliable ways out for Americans who have been in similar places (both geographical and cultural) to where you are now.

It can't hurt to go talk to the recruiters, and they will be most happy to tell you, in great and friendly detail, just why you ought to choose whatever service they are representing.

Can't hurt...and you will learn a heck of a lot which will help you decide whatever you DO make the choice to do (whether it is the military...or something else entirely).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2015 08:32PM by tevai.

Posted by: excatholic ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 10:14PM

There are plenty of ways to cope in this situation that don't entail a military obligation and all it entails. It is just one option among many. Join if you want. But it is a serious decision with a huge potential downside.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 11:43PM

Well... you're in a bit of a tough spot.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.