Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sportsguy ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 03:20PM

Sorry in advance for the long post.

Yesterday was quite interesting. After the “news conference” from TSCC, I posted my thoughts about it on Facebook. I mentioned it would have been fun to see Boyd Packer have to give the speech because his head probably would have exploded. A few hours later, I got a phone call from my very TBM mother. She asked if I was trying to get kicked out of “the church”, and I told her I have already been called in to the bishop who has questioned some of my postings back in November. I told her that I had told him that Salt Lake does not control my life, and that I will speak what I want. I had even told the bishop that if he had the resignation paper work, I would have signed it right then and there. Since then, I have held back because my DW has begged me not too.

My mom said I should just keep my feelings to myself. I said why should I do that, when everyone else on Facebook posts happy little thoughts and mormony stuff all the time. She even said that posting things could affect my employment (I live in the moridor), if people see my posts. I responded that would mean “the church” is even more evil than I already think it is. She even asked if I had stopped wearing garments, and that she had never thought I would have done that. (I did last summer.) She then proceeded to tell me how disappointed she was in me, and how miserable I would become. I mentioned to her that in many ways, I have never been happier. Then came the testimony bearing, and all of the “I Knows”. I stopped her and said, just because you believe in something doesn’t make it true. I think she almost hung up on me when I said the 9/11 hijackers also “knew” what they were doing was true.

Things went on and on, and I was extremely calm. I just explained where my doubts came from, and shared some of the things from the essays. She kept asking me where everything came from, and I had to point out it was all on “the church’s” website. I kept bringing up things, and she would say, I didn’t know that, I didn’t know that. Now I know she will never leave, but at least we ended on good terms after talking more than an hour. I sent her links to the essays, but she probably just deleted them.

After the phone call, I sat down in the living room with my wife, and my oldest son (16) and only daughter (14). We started talking about EVERYTHING, and it was one of the best two-hour discussions I have ever had (even though DW eventually left quietly and went to bed). We talked about so many religious things. My daughter was stunned to know that in the future I would not be able to attend her wedding because of church rules. My son asked if I would ever temporarily get ready to go to the temple whenever he gets married in the future. I said no, I would not. My daughter said then she would not go to a temple because she wanted her dad there. (It made me proud!)

We talked more about how in Mormondom, so many people’s lives are wrapped around “the church”, and they don’t talk about anything else. My kids agreed with me that our house had been too dominated by religion, and that even though religion can be a good thing, maybe we had room for other things as well. I also mentioned that I don’t want my kids interviewed about sexual things if one of us is not in the room. My daughter was so relieved, because she said she has felt so creepy having to do that in the past.

Later on, when it was just her and I in the living room, she came to tell me good night, and that she loves talking to me, because I seem to “get her” and “understand” her. I loved it!!! :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moose ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 03:24PM

and certainly more committed.

Congrats on the nice "family time" you experienced afterwards! That's great!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2015 03:26PM by moose.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 10:08PM

Any ONE or any GROUP that claims they have the ONLY truth regarding something that cannot be proven must be carefully watched.

Posted by: redpill ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 03:32PM

Awesome. That is being a good father to the future generation.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 03:32PM

What a beautiful, truthful evening. Thanks and thanks again for sharing.

Most all children are amazing in their ability to access right from wrong and their resourcefulness unless there has been too much happen in their lives to stifle these things (such as on-going forceful indoctrination). It sounds to me like your children have seen enough of the other side of the coin, most likely mainly from you, that they have a lot of ability to think for themselves.

May your journey forward be fantastic, and keep sharing please. Would live to hear more.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 03:33PM

Congratulations! Your daughter sounds like she might be on my path. When religious authority's started using my dad as an example of the kind of person who was "unworthy" to be in the club, I felt forced to put the club on the spot publically for its hippocracy. The voice of a child--a real child's voice, not a grown woman affecting a child's voice--is very effective for this, I discovered.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 03:40PM

Wow. Good job at being a dad and an all around excellent human being.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 04:14PM

Congratualtions...you did a great job with your family. Sounds like you have great kids who are quite open minded. Good parenting shows.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 04:23PM

You do your own resignation paperwork. The cult has nothing to do with resignation.

Posted by: secularhumanguy ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 04:27PM

that communication with your family sounds great! i'm glad everything is fine at least with your family

Posted by: justarelative ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 04:31PM

Are these not sweet moments? I mean, really!

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 04:52PM

Your post is the best thing I've read all day.

Posted by: smo ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 04:59PM

Thanks for sharing sportsguy!

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 05:00PM

Congratulations! You may want to prepare your children about upcoming pressure from grandma, friends... and how difficult it will be for their mom to adjust. I wish someone, any adult, had understood me at that age-not believing. You are an outstanding dad. Thank you for being courageous.

Posted by: dejavue ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 05:01PM

So....over all...your mom did you a great favor. Which you then were abler to pass on to your wife and your children. Of course when she stepped in, her intentions were only to help - which she did! Bless her aching heart. She may never understand or know of the benefit and service she has been to you, your wife and her grand children. I hope she does though. She may delete the links you sent to her but the ringing in her ears from what you told her will never stop. You are all so awesome. Hugs to everyone.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 05:04PM

you can be CERTAIN that if you (privately) resign ... some Do-Gooder Bp or SP WILL RAT YOU OUT!

privacy Doesn't Exist in Morland!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 05:57PM

Our mothers have put us in a hell of a position, haven't they? Then they want to blame us for making our own decisions, which is something they were afraid to do for themselves. How can a woman be more cowardly than to take sides with an institution against her own children?

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 06:51PM

Is it possible that your TBM wife is having her own doubts? She took that whole discussion thing VERY well IMO. I don't know too many genuine TBM women who would quietly slip off to bed while her husband was deprogramming the kids and simultaneously busting up her eternal family.

Way to go! I think you knocked it out of the park this time sportsguy.

;o)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 07:16PM

You were very courageous, Sportsguy. You spoke truth to power. You also spoke truth to your family. :) Your children will never forget your example of truly putting family first.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 07:37PM

Wow...I would have been turfed out of that family in my teens. How unloving and disrespectful.

RB

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 08:49PM

sportsguy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Later on, when it was just her and I in the living
> room, she came to tell me good night, and that she
> loves talking to me, because I seem to “get
> her” and “understand” her. I loved it!!!
> :)

So, you mean, a parent and child talking openly and honestly
with each other about their core beliefs and doubts and hopes
and fears is a good thing?

I think it's a good thing too. However the Church has
specifically instructed parents not to do this. I believe it
was Holland who said that parents with doubts about the Church
should keep those doubts from their children.

Posted by: sportsguy ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 09:33PM

Thank you all for your comments. It was a great experience.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 09:51PM

Posted by: noncompete ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 09:57PM

Are you my Brother? Sounds like we have the same mother :)

Posted by: ferdchet ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 11:18PM

Thanks. Brought a tear to my eye, and it gives me hope and courage that I'll be able to do the same thing someday soon.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 11:39PM

Wonderful stuff sportsguy. Allowing your children to be honest is an amazing thing, especially in Mormondom. I didn't do it, I was a nazi-mormon-mother and I regret it daily. Keep up the good work. It is NOT you and your wife in competition, simply honesty and the ability to create a balance, and you are doing a MARVELLOUS job!!!

Posted by: bigbadger ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 12:07AM

You should be proud about what you daughter said, sportsguy. That is one of life's great moments.

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 08:25AM

sportsguy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Later on, when it was just her and I in the living
> room, she came to tell me good night, and that she
> loves talking to me, because I seem to “get
> her” and “understand” her. I loved it!!!
> :)

One of life's joys; validation from your child. She will do well in life secure in the knowledge her dad 'get's her' at just 14 years old. Go to top of parenting class ;)

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 09:03AM

Thanks for the post!!!

Now; I am viewing this from a bird's-eye perspective...

You just broke the chain. Your Mother wasn't able to do so.

This is how the Cult is dismantled; one family at a time.

No more 'Repeaters' !!!

We think on our own.

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 11:13AM

> You just broke the chain...
> This is how the Cult is dismantled; one family at a time...
> No more 'Repeaters' !!!

This is exactly how I felt when I got out. The cycle ends with my family.

Posted by: jaded ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 09:06AM

I'm wishing so hard there was a "like" button on this site. I would have hit it a thousand times as I read your post.

I'm smiling, thinking of your daughter's thoughts before she fell asleep last night!

Posted by: TheNavidsonRecord ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 09:26AM

I remember when the parents weren't on facebook. When it was just for college kids. Good times. Shoulda kept it that way.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.