Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 01:45PM

I've read some about my ancestor Brigham Young. A common theme seems to appear to my spiritual eyes. It is vaguely outlined in his life but comes into sharp relief in his most dictatorial moments.

Joseph Smith admired and wanted to be like the preachers of his day. I think this goes without saying. He seems to have aped them in his sermonizing and his writing (well dictating.) He wanted to be like them. Brigham on the other hand wanted to have access to a structured religious brotherhood which he could rise in and lead. Masonry particularly suited him. Joseph liked it because it gave the men he lead what they wanted. Brigham liked it because it suited both of his appetites - a special craftsman fraternity and his penchant to command people.

Smith probably could have just gone on and on inventing things and dreaming up and preaching about his visions. Brigham Young like to execute them. Together they created a priesthood pyramid for peasants like them to climb or die in the attempt.

Essentially they repeated an oft created division of men.

Here is a simplification of it from a Confucius perspective.

Peasant

biased

petty

seeks guidance from others

hard to serve

easy to please

Gentleman

generous

fair

guides oneself

easy to serve

hard to please

https://prezi.com/w1fpwbpay05x/education-in-china/

And from the Mormon perspective here it is again.

A Mormon Peasant man is eventually made a High Priest when he actually reaches an age to be an actual elder of a group of people.

He is too biased in his beliefs to be promoted in the Mormon Priesthood Pyramid.

He is too petty to overlook men above him's mistakes.

He has a habit of seeking guidance from others instead of seeking to gain a position to be able to impart it.

He is too hard for people to serve under him.

He is too easy to accept guidance and praise.

A Mormon Gentleman man is made a High Priest early because of a leadership role.

He is very generous in accepting other Mormon's beliefs when they promote him in the Mormon Priesthood Pyramid.

He easily overlooks the mistakes of the men above him.

He has a habit of seeking to guide others.

He makes it easy for people to serve under him.

He easily accepts guidance from above and rarely from below and eschews praise yet cultivates it to appear both worthy and humble.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 11:46AM

Topping because I like this insight. I might be wrong but I bet the "Old Boys Club" doesn't care where the doctrines blow as long as their system of governance and pyramid climbing continues.

Pius frauds every last one of them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.