Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: generationofvipers ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 10:09AM

Talk about disingenuous. Why not just have a press release saying we support equal rights, we support the efforts of the LGBT community to codify these rights, and we are sorry for the hurt, disenfranchisement, and pain our own LGBT members have experienced in the past? (They don't even have to take the blame, since I know that's impossible for these boys).

Why tie it to a pity party about their perceived "religious persecution"?

The answer: they don't mean it.

If someone kicked you in the crotch, then came back and said, "I support your right not to be kicked in the crotch, but in exchange you need to support my rights to kick you" what would you say to them?

No one is buying this except those already bought in.

They have no clue what they are doing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2015 10:10AM by generationofvipers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 10:31AM

The press conference leaves me unsure as to where mormons stand in relation to gay rights. Do they support secular gay marriage or not? Somehow they avoided explicitly stating their position.

They did mention rights to housing, employment and accommodation. From memory they were not explicit about any other rights and they didn't make any general statements. Hooray, gays can live somewhere, work somewhere and get to their work! What else could those L G T B (said very slowly and uncomfortably) people want?

Did anyone else think it was strange that they had 3 people speaking when one person could have done it? You know, like maybe the Lord's mouthpiece here on earth? Or that the handover from one speaker to the next was practically mid-paragraph? Or that they had 2 men (3 if you count the host) who were in positions of power, and one token woman who was head of Young Womens? Did anyone else see the out-of-focus picture of Jesus visiting the Nephites in the background? Did anyone else notice that mormon leaders were talking about how important freedom of speech and public debate is, meanwhile they are in the process of excommunicating someone who facilitated freedom of speech and public debate about mormonism?

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 01:36PM

There is no ambiguity. It was stated that church policy has not changed.

Date: January 28, 2015 09:08PM

Not changed from what? Let's be explicit, TSCC does NOT want gays to be allowed to have secular marriages and they will not compromise on their position. There, I said it.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 12:28PM

Posted by: celeste ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 01:42PM

I've noticed that some LDS acquaintances on FB have had some interesting posts leading up to yesterday. For example, a few were complaining about persecution, citing The Book of Mormon musical. It's the annual LDS pity parade.

Sell it somewhere else TSCC.

Posted by: Been there, too ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 01:48PM

The Mormon church gets PR. The recent move generated a lot of mostly positive media buzz. Most headlines and articles were favorable to the Mormon church's new position. Of course, the in-depth articles took the Mormon church to task for it. I think the Mormon church knows that widespread LGBT employment and housing discrimination laws are inevitable, as well as 50-state legality of marriage equality. It was a pathetic gasp in the face of defeat.

It's true that the don't get it--LGBT issues or the larger endgame. They traded mostly short-term positive media interest at the expense of digging in further on their outdated LGBT views and desire to discriminate. Eventually, These statements hurt them in the long run as they leave no wiggle room.

In light of this, it will be interesting how the media will cover the looming Dehlin excommunication--that members are still not allowed to publicly doubt or question the Mormon church's position. Even some of the positive coverage now will flip on that.

Date: January 28, 2015 09:15PM

Been there, too Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In light of this, it will be interesting how the
> media will cover the looming Dehlin
> excommunication--that members are still not
> allowed to publicly doubt or question the Mormon
> church's position. Even some of the positive
> coverage now will flip on that.

If they excommunicate Dehlin now, the headlines will not be good for TSCC. I suspect that the "local leader" will get some "guidance" from "higher up". In normal language, the stake president will be ordered to delay.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 09:15PM

carefully worded statements. I still can't get over how the woman seemed completely uncomfortable and completely scripted. I didn't watch the other two, although they keep playing them on local news.

Date: January 28, 2015 09:27PM

They said it took them about 5 years. I think the first 2 talks were written together, but the last one was separate. None of them were well presented. There was no handover between speakers 1 and 2. Speaker 3 clumsily introduced himself and I don't think his talk logically followed on from the other 2.

Date: January 28, 2015 09:34PM

Does anybody else think that TSCC has crossed a line by trying to influence the outcome of legislation? They were suspiciously explicit about supporting rights to housing, employment and transportation. As I understand it, that is going to be the topic of up-up-coming legislation. Why don't they just say that mormons in parliament are expected to vote in favor of the bill?

Posted by: Raging ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 12:56PM

Yes, it is plain to everyone they are trying to influence specific legislation. For Utah, it is par for the course. TSCC has tremendous influence on all legislation passed in Utah. Is it inappropriate? Of course it is, but it is reality. Yes, these are the marching orders for mormon church members in the legislature. I live in Utah and see this every single year. Once in a while, a TBM will propose legislation that contradicts TSCC's position. But, fear not! The leadership in the legislature will make sure it never sees the light if day.

The worst thing about the influence TSCC wields in Utah law is that they get their way the vast majority of the time. Sometimes this leads to unconstitutional laws that must be litigated. The AG is charged with defending the laws, so a lot of money is wasted in court battles.

I just wonder why churches expect to influence politics and law, but then think they should be exempt from the taxes that fund the government. This needs to stop one way or the other, either no tax breaks or no political activity.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.