Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 08:23PM

I would love to ask some of my family this question in light of recent events. I already know the answer because I looked on the list. Some gave quite a bit, some gave quite a bit several times. LDSInc put so much pressure on people to donate it really was more like a requirement. It brings to mind an article about one family who was so so very proud to donate their kids SCHOOL FUND to this just and righteous cause. It struck me at the time the more appropriate thing would be to give their MISSION funds. I am sure the parents got tons of attaboys for it, the ones that lost were the kids.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 08:31PM

Yeah, but people like this deserve to lose their money on this kind of gambling.

Posted by: iamanevermormon ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 01:00AM

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 02:48AM

The thing is, they likely still feel justified, the loss only means they have to fight harder and contribute more.

Posted by: iamanevermormon ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 03:42AM

And they'll keep losing in the end. This issue has been decided more or less. Gay marriage will be the law of the land, whether LD$ or any other stupid church/synagogue/mosque etc thinks.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 10:23PM

I still remember reading about the family in CA, I think in Orange County, who gave $50,000+ to the prop 8 fight, and it may be the school fund that Susan refers to above.

That bothered me for days; that someone (the church) could talk someone (this mother and dad and kids) into donating all that money to a losing battle.

I wonder how the feel now?

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 10:24PM

I don't know, depending on the city in OC, that could be pocket change...

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 10:29PM

I know it was a lot of money but the thing that struck and stuck with me was that it was school fund. I agree there are some very wealthy people that live in the area and if they had just forked up the money it would not have hit such a nerve with me. But then again, it would not have gotten the media play either.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 02:22AM

I remember reading about a family also that lived in California and gave $50,000. They had 5 young boys,and the $50,000 was everything they had saved. For those 5 boys.

Posted by: Lorraine aka síóg ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 08:28AM

They were in the Sacramento area [eta: Folsom, see below], IIRC, and the profiles about them made it clear that it was not pocket change but a significant amount for them. I makes me so angry at both the vampire cult, draining people's money and energy, and the cult members who let themselves get taken in by it.

I keep imagining how the boys will feel when they grow up, face the realities about college cost and realise their parent gave away this money. Criminal!

Edited to add these snipped comment from coverage at the time:

Pam and Rick Patterson have always followed teachings of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and tried to live within their means.

He drives a 10-year-old Honda Civic to his job at Intel. She is a stay-at home mom who makes most of the family meals and bakes her own bread. The couple, who have five sons between the ages of 3 and 12, live in a comfortable but modest three-bedroom home in Folsom.

It's a traditional lifestyle they believe is now at risk. That's why the Pattersons recently made a huge financial sacrifice – they withdrew $50,000 from their savings and donated it to the Yes on Proposition 8 campaign, the ballot measure that seeks to ban same-sex marriage.

Mormons such as the Pattersons have emerged as the leading financial contributors to the controversial Nov. 4 ballot measure. Church members have donated about 40 percent of the $22.8 million raised to pass the initiative since July, according to Frank Schubert, campaign manager for ProtectMarriage.com, the primary backer of the "yes" campaign.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2015 09:53AM by Lorraine aka síóg.

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 11:39AM

OMG that makes me physically ill.

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 10:33PM

Jiminycricket gave ZERO. I knew better. I have the spirit of discernment.

DONORS in SUPPORT of PROP 8:

1) The current LD$ Area Seventy for the San Francisco Bay Area, Robert N. Packer of La-fayette (banned word), CA gave $25,000.

2) The current LD$ Stake President Lee Green (San Jose South Stake) gave $5,000.

3) The current LD$ Stake President Brent Knudsen (Saratoga Stake) gave $6,000.

4) The current LD$ Stake President Randall Mack (San Jose Stake) gave $5,000.

5) The current LD$ Nauvoo, IL Visitor's Center Director, previous Stake President and Oakland Temple President, Richard Hunter (son of church president), gave $5,000.

Not one of these 5 LD$ elite leaders had the spirit of discernment to know that gay marriage would become law a few years later in California.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2015 10:45PM by jiminycricket.

Date: January 28, 2015 05:37AM

Do they still have the website where you can go to see who donated? A few years ago I looked up my small town in the Mojave desert, and I knew every donor listed.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 10:41PM

I know that several TBMs in my family gave as much as $2-5K. Most gave under $1K, but over $500.

All I could give to No on 8 was $50.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 01:27PM

All I could give to No on 8 was $50, also. But I gave it in honor of Thomas S. Monson. I put the COB address on where to send the card letting them know someone donated in their honor. I hope he got it.

Posted by: SCMDwithoutapassword ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 02:46AM

I gave absolutely nothing. I had nothing to give at the time other than a little Monopoly money, which I would have preferred not to part with anyway, as sometimes our Monopoly games end up fairly high-stakes. My uncle's oral surgeon's wife, however, gave twenty-five grand. I consider that more than enough for her family, my uncle's family, and me combined.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 02:59AM

I know an attorney and his wife in Walnut Creek, Ca. that gave $50,000. Below their names were their four sons' names, with a donation of $10,000 for each one. At the time, some of those sons were at BYU law school, BYU, and on missions.

Another friend in Palo Alto, Ca, donated the exact same amounts for himself, his wife, and his two adult sons.

I have a suspicion that it was the cult's idea for parents to give away their children's money, too. This wouldn't have been this common, otherwise.

These people are very wealthy, and had high enough positions in the cult, that they probably have the second anointing.

Posted by: Buy Garffcars ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 03:05AM

Lets not forget the sweet widow Sister Garff of Garff motor fame.

Bless her heart!! $100,000.00

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 03:10AM

Shameful, really shameful. It is stealing from children their college money, then their inheritances.

Didn't Jesus say how he felt about those who hurt children?

How about when they do it in his name?

Kathleen Waters

Date: January 28, 2015 05:39AM

Regular Jesus said how he felt about those who hurt kids. Mormon Jesus was co-opted to do other stuff and kind of has his own Jesus thingie going on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2015 06:23AM by cludgie.

Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 05:33AM

Since there were a lot of donations from members in Utah, how much did Monson chip in? How about the top-15 combined?

Posted by: heberjgrunt ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 08:31AM

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 05:37AM

So where did all the money actually go?

Posted by: Dennis Moore ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 08:19AM

My TBM DH donated. He also went door to door in our city with other members to spread the word on how to vote on Prop. 8.

I wouldn't have anything to do with it. If you find someone you truly love, it doesn't matter what gender they are.

I really don't "love" TBM spouse any more, but after 36 years of marriage I've settled.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 08:33AM

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 08:34AM

ha ha, I found a cousin who gave 10k

Posted by: heberjgrunt ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 08:42AM

Didn't Frank Vander Sloot's wife of Melaleuca fame give something like 100 grand? How noble.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 10:17AM

Don't forget the Catholics who were huge financial supporters.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 11:29AM

OH... and don't leave out "Focus on the Family" who outdid the Mormons on financial support of Prop 8.

Posted by: Mannaz ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 12:10PM

Not a dime.

But, in the prior attempt at such legislation in the late 90's early 00's - I forget exactly the date - I and everyone else in the ward and stake were pressured to put up signage we were provided 'on the side' in our windows and on our lawns in support of that initiative. This was in priesthood meetings and from the pulpit in sacrament. Never had any of us in the ward ever seen such an overt political act by the church. We were stunned. We nicknamed those signs 'the sheep's blood' we were being command to mark our homes with. Mine was up for a day and then I ripped it down.

Posted by: In a hurry (Saree) ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 12:16PM

out on the RfM main page for time and eternity?

Posted by: dejavue ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 12:31PM

Prop 8 didn't just open pocket books. It also forced people to open their minds and engage their thinking/logic skills. Would love to poll those who gave their money now and hear howthey respond to it all now with the church's duplicity. Probabley some will feel smug saying it was all just a test from the lord. ( Like leading a horse to water - cant make em (think)/drink)

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 12:33PM

What do antigays get by banning gay marriage? They get to hurt gay families.

What do gays get by having gay marriage? Everything you get when you get married.

So, why are the homophobes so vested in this game? They win nothing and lose nothing, whereas gays have everything at stake.

How has Utah changed since gay marriages begun? For most people, not at all. For gay people, a lot.

Posted by: crathes ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 12:35PM

$50 to other side. In honor of a nephew, a SIL, a former mission companion, and wonderful folks on this site.

Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 03:27PM

Posted by: alx71tx ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 10:01AM

Posted by: dejavue ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 04:11PM

You think the church wishes that that they could have put all that money in THEIR coffers (though I am sure they got a good share too)? Reminds me of a comment made here a couple days ago about Joe Smith stating that in controlling people it was important to keep them poor (and him rich)

Posted by: SoCal Apostate ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 12:54AM

Although I voted against bigotry, I didn't do anything else at that time.

A while later, I saw canvassers from HRC outside a grocery store as I was driving past. I "felt the spirit", turned around, parked, and walked directly toward one of them. I think I gave the wrong impression, as the one working the other door 30-40' away came over right away.

I asked what I could do to help, and settled on a $30/month auto-pay, which I intended to cancel after I had matched the $150 that my family members had contributed to Prop 8. That was about $1500 ago, and I don't plan on cancelling it anytime soon.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 02:45AM

Sandra MARRIOTT Bertha...

Daughter of Dick MARRIOTT...

Son of MARRIOTT Hotels Founder Willard MARRIOTT

Gave $23,000.00

Her uncle, Bill MARRIOTT...

CEO of MARRIOTT Hotels claimed that they didn't support Prop 8.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 08:58AM

Wouldn't it be logical for a religion that fought for over forty years to have their "non-traditional" marriages recognized by mainstream America as legitimate would have been at the forefront fighting FOR same-sex marriage.

But, of course, who ever said that religion was logical, especially one as weird as Mormonism.

Posted by: lapsed ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 09:16AM

Is there a link to the list of who donated?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.