Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: June 14, 2017 01:39PM

Mine did. My insurance agent said it's because the state of UT wanted them raised due to lots more accidents happening here. I have an older car and carry only liability.

The State Insurance Dept says that isn't the case.

I refuse to go back to Bear River due to their shaming attitude which I put up with for years for the lower rates but finally couldn't do it anymore.

So, I am going to shop around but it seems like such a chore to do so.

Anyone have car insurance they feel give good rates and have good claims experience?

TIA

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: yetagain... ( )
Date: June 14, 2017 02:44PM

so do you believe a "SALESman" or the state?

problem with car insurance (ok all insurance) is it's all a scam.....

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 14, 2017 02:58PM

They went up in CA also. Must be some reason for it, however, I don't know their reasoning.

Posted by: yetagain... ( )
Date: June 14, 2017 03:03PM

CEOs are hiding behind the increases that they say are a result of "your lower credit rating".....

See - it's a great scam when they say that your credit rating isn't as good now - so you are more of a risk to file for a claim. When asked how they arrived at that, they claim it's proprietary and can't tell you.

Just ask the "good neighbor" agents......

There are only a hand full of states that prohibit this type of bullying......

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 14, 2017 03:49PM

SusieQ#1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They went up in CA also. Must be some reason for
> it, however, I don't know their reasoning.

Mine (in CA) didn't go up. Just got 6-month renewal, same price as the past 2 renewals.

I'm with Progressive. Son had an accident, have had 3 window dings in past 4 years, all claims handled exceptionally well. I don't know how they are in Utah.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 14, 2017 03:11PM

Mine went up in NYS when I traded in my leased Volvo for a leased Subaru.

Volvo is typically a more expensive automobile than the Subaru.

My insurance agent tells me it's because of the more advanced technology on Subarus making them more expensive to repair.

Ok. Whatever. Just another day in New York.

Our rates went up across the board (homeowners and car insurance,) because of 9/11.

Hurricanes Katrina and Sandy played a role in their going up again.

It may also be due in part because of all the multi-million dollar lawsuits in New York that drive up rates, and insurance fraud, etc.

When I lived out west I went with Farmers. They were very good, reasonable rates, and had good customer service.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2017 03:15PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 14, 2017 03:35PM

ETA: when we lived in NYC we had an older car I paid liability insurance for.

I did not realize how exorbitant that was until moving to upstate NY.

Comprehensive collision is considerably lower here on a brand new car than liability is there on a used car.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 14, 2017 04:58PM

I have been with Nationwide for many years. Pricing is not the cheapest, but it's not unreasonable either. I've filed two claims with them, needing body work, and the service has been great. Their claims agents go above and beyond. That's why I stay with them. They also do a monthly automatic deduction from my checking account, and I find that convenient.

Formerly, I had Geico. The insurance was on the less expensive side of things. I filed one claim with them, and the service was just okay. They did the minimum that they needed to do to settle the claim.

I had Erie many years ago. It was less expensive than many other insurers. I never filed a claim with them.

Posted by: Insured ( )
Date: June 18, 2017 05:45PM

Just a word of advice while shopping for insurance. NEVER give out your Social Security Number! You have no idea who you're talking to and how they might use it nefariously.

Contact Experian and get your FICO Score. When the insurer asks for your SS#, tell them you don't give it out, especially since you are shopping only. Instead, give them your FICO Score. If they will not give you a bid based on that, find another company. Every inquiry to your credit report causes the FICO Score to go down. DO NOT SHOP WITH YOUR SS#.

I've been with Erie for many years, but I've never had a claim with them. I would check them out. They are respected in my State.

Posted by: Algeron ( )
Date: June 19, 2017 05:11PM

Sleepy drivers who can't drink coffee. You see all the billboards on the side of the road telling people to pull over if they're drowsy? You don't see that many in any other state. I drove a rig and I saw the most of those in Mormon country. Not drinking coffee or tea can kill.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.