Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Omergod ( )
Date: June 14, 2017 05:14AM

I have been saving all of the letters from my current ward. They are probably from my home teacher? Anyways, I haven't opened any. It is kinda cool that they keep in touch.No. Wait.I opened one and it was from the HPGL. Anyways, I am moving to Washington DC. If any of you can offer advice, please do so.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: June 14, 2017 10:22AM

Welcome to "the swamp." I live in the MD suburbs and work in DC. It's a fascinating place to be.

The only advice I have is this: if you have not already done so ditch your "temple garments." They are not compatible with the sticky summers here. Yesterday was a prime example.

This is a pretty good place to avoid Morg influence--although the missionaries did come to our door looking for the previous owner of our house. It was late at night, and we had just put our baby to sleep. Now how many times did I cause similar disturbances as a missionary. Karma sometimes bites you in the backside.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 15, 2017 09:52AM

My brother met his wife there at the singles ward.

Posted by: g0rgone ( )
Date: June 16, 2017 09:00AM

Welcome to the belly of the beast! I call it Hollywood for Ugly People(ie political joke, sorry)

I too left the desert for the swamp 3 years ago. I live in NW DC.
Be prepared for the god forsaken humidity and the mosquitoes that come with, the east coast culture clash, the worst cab drivers and most unfriendly dog owners on the planet, oh, & Surrender Dorothy of course ;)
Also Don't keep ANYTHING in your vehicle, and lock it up. Do yourself a favor and purchase a club.

Despite the fact my father gives my new address to the church every time I move, I have yet to have any missionary visitors, though I saw them on the street once. I did, however, receive several frilly cards hand signed by the local ward relief society telling me they "loved me and wanted me back".

If you need a friend, I'll be here too!

Posted by: slayermegatron ( )
Date: June 17, 2017 04:03AM

I left the swamp for a Communist swamp in China. I grew up in Northern VA. Great place, everything said here is true regarding weather, be prepared.

Date: June 18, 2017 02:11AM

Oh my God. The escalator at Dupont circle was broken. The escalator is what, half a mile long?
Lord, Jesus. It was pride weekend, (I never expected that! ) and the entire place was overwhelmed with folks. Vertigo? I walked the stairs.

Date: June 18, 2017 01:45AM

I signed a lease in NE. It's definitely not 100 plus, however, with the humidity, it's uncomfortable just the same.
From Vegas to DC.
Genuinely, the people in DMV are super nice. Very engaging in conversation, helpful, kind.
If any of you know DC, it would be sweet to chillax with you.

Posted by: g0rgone ( )
Date: June 18, 2017 07:04PM

Hey, I'm from Vegas too! Nice! I've been here for 3 years, but my boyfriend has lived here since he was 3. He's a great tour guide!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.