Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 10:42AM

I would like to start a support group for those who are living with or caring for/about a mentally ill family member.

Several people have emailed me recently, knowing I am dealing with that myself on a daily basis.

I am seeking advice on what platform to use, bearing in mind I am not very high tech. Does this purpose lend itself to a blog? A facebook page, a section in that huge forum? I would like something that can be made private so people can speak freely.

Religion needs to be discussed as well, such as the problem of people hearing voices and thinking it is god speaking to them just like he did with Joseph Smith. How do you deal with that when your family member is still Mormon? exmo? nevermo? This can be an issue.

This is not a politically active effort (like NAMI, the national family action group), but rather to share ideas and have some emotional support for one another.

Being a support or caregiver for a mentally ill person is exhausting and isolating. Please contact me (my logon name at the g spot) if you are interested in being part of this. As we say here on RfM, you are not alone.

Warmly

Kathleen

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 10:52AM

BTW Kathleen, Andrew Solomon's fabulous book, "Far From the Tree" addresses the multitude of issues surrounding schizophrenia and other conditions that families must deal with.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 11:07AM

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 06:40PM

annagrammy,

Sorry you are in such difficult circumstances. I hope there is support in your state and you are able to take a break with respite care-givers.

Some areas have such places like Alzheimer's Cafe, where those afflicted can go for stories/piano-singing... Care-givers can socialize/network with each other, feeling less isolated.

Have you checked Yahoo groups? I wish you well during such a challenging time. (((Hugs)))

Posted by: dinah ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 07:18PM

I've been through several years of that kind of caregiving - dealing with a child who heard voices, had every kind of hallucination, was paranoid, detached from reality -
and now he is doing better... emailing you directly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2015 07:18PM by dinah.

Posted by: closer2fine ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 09:43PM

I've never started a group, but I think you can start a FaceBook group pretty easily. Name it and start inviting people to join.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 09:49PM

I would join this group.

Posted by: Agate ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 09:59PM

Is it opened to nevermos? If so I am in and this couldn't have come at a better time.

Posted by: finallygetsit ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 10:44PM

Count me in, too.
(How do you email directly?)

Posted by: RenaT ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 08:07AM

I would like to join, as well. My oldest son had Schizophrenia when he was 21 and ended up committing suiscide (sp). That was in 1985... I still feel the need to talk about it ever now and again.

Posted by: kj ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 08:33AM

My nephew is schizophrenic and hospitalized. Previously he was in prison......when he stopped taking his medications.

He has another court date soon.

It's such a difficult disease.

Thank You
KJ/AnonyMs

I sent you an email.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2015 10:17AM by kj.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 08:46PM

I would say set up a facebook page or yahoo groups; Yahoo and facebook can be searchable, you can change it to "requests to join" so that it can be private.

As a side note Gay Mormon Stories has a great podcast on this subject right now. Lorena Tobon's story is so great.
http://gaymormonstories.org/

Posted by: hfo ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 01:43AM

Some folks don't do Facebook for a variety of reasons. Yahoo groups maybe.

My first wife of 18 years was bipolar. It was hard.

Wishing you the best Kathleen

Posted by: jerry64 ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 11:50AM

You might consider Yahoo groups
groups.yahoo.com

I have group there and also a Facebook group that is used to help people who are searching there to find the Yahoo group.

You can control membership and moderate every post, if you'd like. A nice feature is to selectively moderate people, including new members, until you get to know them - this also stops spammers.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.