Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: shazam101 ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 10:30AM

It was quite interesting to see. I guess this guy is reaching out to his ex-wife who he thinks has his kids. This incident happened in Orem and when I daw it I said to my wife that the guy is Mormon. She came to his defense and said that he wasnt, but you could tell. He had that look that I am not a jerk Priesthood holder. Too many things just did not sit well with me, and that he looked too "perfect". His ex wife was seen as manipulative and "brainwashed" his kids against him. I feel sorry for the kids that they are put in the middle of this and that there is bad mouthing is going on on both sides. His oldest daughter has not seen him for over a year and wants nothing to do with him. Too bad these things happen where the TSCC is so family oriented and puts out the perfect image when it is not. If religion was brought out then it would have been obvious as to why behaviors on both sides would be factors. I just hope that the kids are safe.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ether ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 11:30AM

I kept on thinking they must be involved in some weird religion... Then they said Utah and that answered that!

The dad was so frozen and cold, very odd person, sad story.

Posted by: nolongersearching27 ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 11:36AM

Whoa, whoa, whoa.... you're telling me that is still a talk show?? It hasn't been cancelled yet?

But more on topic. What a sad situation. Life is tough, even if you are in the MORG..... hmmmm I guess that disproves their theory of a perfect life as long as you live according to the laws of the church.....

And I wonder why his oldest wants nothing to do with him?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 11:40AM

If it's in Orem, and everyone is against him, but he has that 'Peter Priesthood' vibe, then maybe he's an apostate and the wife and kids felt they had to leave him. If he was a good Peter Priesthood, you'd imagine he'd have the church's help in getting his kids back.

And his religion wasn't mentioned at all?

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 01:38PM

Why would it be necessary to mention his religion. They said he was from Orem. It would be redundant to have to mention his religion. They only way they would need to mention it is if was in the .000001 % of Orem that is not in the CULT. Seriously?

Posted by: Cahomegrown ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 02:21AM

Verily, Verily, you exaggerate! Orem is 89% LDS

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 11:55AM

but caught something about him being Mormon and then Dr. Phil read his sister's letter to him that talked about his need to be perfect.

He reminded me of quite a few Mormon men I know, namely my uncle (married my mother's sister). I don't know how my aunt has tolerated him all these years. He has the attitude this guy had.

Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 01:31PM

I believe the second part is today. I only saw part of it, but it was so obvious that he was a mo from Utah. It involved sexual abuse that I think was unsubstantiated, but like I said I missed some.

I am home sick in bed so I will probably watch it. It's either that or 4 oclock news.

He came off shitty like.

Posted by: TDWMB ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 01:46PM

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 02:17PM

My husband's kids want nothing to do with him and he's the furthest thing possible from being a narcissist or a creepy person. I guess I'd have to see the episode before I could make any kind of judgment against the guy in question here. I just think that sometimes parents are manipulative and do brainwash their kids against the other parent. It happened to my husband, only he's not Mormon anymore.

Too bad I'm in Germany. Maybe it's on YouTube.

Date: January 27, 2015 02:19PM

Do you get AFN? When we were in Germany they aired Dr. Phil.... but that was 2007-2010.... worth checking in to.

And you are right, that often times ex's will manipulate the children and turn them against a parent even if there is nothing wrong with the other parent. It is a horrible game they play.

Date: January 27, 2015 02:24PM

No, we don't have AFN. We didn't have it last time we were here, either. We were going to get it, but lived on the economy and never got around to it. We could get it now, but I don't watch TV that much anyway, except for what I download from iTunes.

I like AFN for the PSAs... ;)

LOL... we were here last time the same time you were here-- 2007-09!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2015 02:25PM by knotheadusc.

Date: January 27, 2015 02:26PM

LOL AFN wouldn't be worth it without the PSA's!!!!! I loved the one where everyone was in red telling the Americans we need to "blend" in. Also the theft, waste and abuse ones?? Classic!

We were in Heidelberg!!!!! I miss it and wish we could get stationed back over there!

Date: January 27, 2015 02:41PM

Heidelberg is a great town. We visited last time. We were in Stuttgart then and we're in Stuttgart now. My husband retired and got a contractor job. Hope we can stay a long time... Looks promising. And since my husband was disowned by his kids, we have no reason to go back to the States.

I admit I like watching Dr. Phil, if only so I can snark on him on my blog.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2015 03:33PM by knotheadusc.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 01:04PM

During 'Nam AFN had some interesting PSAs, like the one about asking when you last checked your truck for booby traps. I found those to be very interesting. Really brought home the gravity of the situation we were in over there.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 02:29PM

Mormon family values.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2015 01:13PM by donbagley.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 02:53PM

I have been a Monitor for Supervised Visitation in custody battles and have seen the results of Parental Alienation; seen how it's done, and how it survives often for the entire life of the child. I have also seen how it can backfire. The child, later, as an older teen or adult sees how one parent has robbed them of the other parent and is no longer willing to play along.

The question in this particular show has to do with Parental Alienation. This is my conclusion after researching the info on line in the program.

This is a huge problem with divorce. One parent alienates the children by constant negativity (bitterness, anger, hate, revenge etc.) against the other parent. Often it's done by blaming the other parent for things that often did not happen. There is often use of the false memory syndrome as a method to turn a child against the other parent. Minor events are often turned into huge negative events that are used to show how "bad" the other parent is.

This show is an extreme case of Parental Alienation as the mother has turned the children against the father over what appears to be reasons she has used to control their thinking regarding the father. The mother's family has joined in the plot to hide from the other parent.

This may be a case of an LDS family "circling the wagons" as the father has been deemed "unworthy" for some reason. It looks like it, but I am not sure if I can make that determination with what I have learned so far.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2015 02:54PM by SusieQ#1.

Date: January 28, 2015 04:34AM

Here's the episode on YouTube. Guess I'll watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjO-7I6EUP4

Date: January 28, 2015 07:35AM

And now, having watched, I'd say it sounds like the whole family is pretty messed up. Neither parent sounds particularly reasonable.

Date: January 28, 2015 12:39PM

This thing smells like Mormonism. Dr Phil goes on and on about transparency, but he withholds the cultural background of the story. Did it take place in a social vacuum? There were hints of religion--the father was said to have mentioned Satan and inappropriate clothing. The Utah grandmother looks like a liar. She says she doesn't know where her daughter is, but she admitted to meeting her in her own home. She doesn't want the girls to come forward until they're safe, she says. Who's hiding something? The father may well be a jerk, but he's not evading anything.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 01:49PM

Agree. I think the grandma,sister of girls and brother of Michele know exactly where the girls are. I was more offended by their behavior than I was the dad. They should of had the step mom up there doing more talking. It sounds like a lot of brainwashing on the mothers part.

My ex has very much brainwashed a number of my kids against me. He does it by lying to them about things I supposedly said or did,then saying what a wonderful person I am. Then he throws in money whenever they need it,and unfortunately they buy it. My 7 oldest are 25 years and up...and still believe the crap he tells them. What used to be wonderful relationships are now not much of anything. It's extremely hurtful to me,but there is nothing I can do about it. The ex is a cryer,and very manipulative. I have stepped back and try not to take it personal. It's been this way for years and I don't see it changing.

Date: January 28, 2015 02:02PM

I feel for you, loveskids. Your moniker could be read as love skids, which is what it's doing in too many families.

Manipulation and secrecy are so embedded in my Mormon family culture that you're out if you don't play along. You must lie about yourself and others to maintain the fraudulent appearance of saintliness. None of them are saints. Latter Day Ain'ts is more like it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2015 02:03PM by donbagley.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: January 29, 2015 01:44AM

Thanks donbagley. I love kids so much,especially my own 9,but 'love skids' sure can be true. In my case and I know in many others. What's so sad is I was always so close to all my kids,even after they left home,I was the one they always called just to talk. Most nights I would talk to at least 2 or 3 of the adult kids. It was great. Then,my then dh started with the lying about me. He told ALL 7 of the adult kids I had Borderline Personality Disorder. That killed me. And not one child called me to tell me what he was saying,or offer support. And that fueled dh like nothing other. The game was on for him. And after I divorced him,things got much worse. So now,my relationship with 1 is she hates my guts and calls me terrible names,2 of them have no contact with me,and 2 like me conditionally. What a crap thing my ex did,but he has to live with his choices and I'm getting much better about accepting the situation for what it has become. I will always love all my kids,but I'm tired of beating myself up over what I could have/should have done different. My ex is so TBM,yet so cruel. I really feel for anyone who has suffered from Parental Alienation.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 01:23PM

The father did have full custody though which made me think that the wife was an apostate trying to get away from his crazy peter priesthood ass, but she also didn't seem to be very stable either. And her family playing dumb about not knowing where she is was laughable

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.