Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 02:27AM

Have any of you had any experience with cortisone injections for osteoarthritis in the knees, back or hips (or anywhere?) or for rotator cuff problems?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 02:27AM

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 02:52AM

Yes, Susan has my email

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 02:44AM

The suggestion from here is that you Google:

* cortisone injections, side effects
* cortisone injections, complications
* cortisone injections, complaints

Aside from the information available above...there is not enough information available "here"...and in addition, the "reporters" are not numerous enough, and are self-selected, which means: their reports of their own experiences cannot be relied upon for general guidance.

Our best wishes and good energies go out to you. I vividly remember when I had rotator cuff issues some years ago, and I empathize deeply with anyone who is similarly affected. :(

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 06:12AM

I have had two cortisone injections into the left shoulder for rotator cuff inflamations. The doctor was very skillful with the needle and I didn't feel a thing. The problem went away within 48 hours. The first time it stayed away for 2 years. After the 2nd treatment it has never come back.

There are some problems and injuries for which cortisone does not work, but if your injury is within the right window, you should notice immediate improvment and perhaps even cure.

Posted by: Redneck Wonderland ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 10:33AM

I've never had it checked out, but I suspect I may have a rotator cuff issue also. One of the causes from my research is inflammation (applies to arthritis also). A natural way to reduce inflammation is tea. One cause of inflammation is toxins. Tea helps to detoxify the body. While it hasn't cured my shoulders pain, I don't have as much pain in them either.

Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 01:41PM

Gosh I just had an injection yesterday!!! It hurt for the few seconds, oh. It was on my left shoulder, guess I should say that. I have lesions on labrum, tendinosis rotator cuff, and arthritis. Was looking at surgery which is the next thing.

It hurts for the 30 seconds he is putting it in. I have had many cortisone shots for back, hips, elbows, etc. This one he has to move it around like 4 times to get all the areas because the shoulder joint is so complex.

After that my arm was heavy, but for me the pain is gone. I tasted the shot last night, kinda yucky, but nothing horrible.

I was able to sleep on my shoulder for the first time since I had mylast shot in June. Mine seem to last a couple months, though they shuld last longer.

I usually cuss when I get those. But it is so nice later. I still will need surgery as mine is deteriorating forsome reason.

Good luck!! If you are in pain all the time and it works, totally worth it!

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 02:08PM

There are a couple different types of cortisone injections that are effective for a variety of conditions. I'm a good candidate for one type and get them for hip bursitis. They help for about six weeks, then start to fade. Generally, they only give them ever three months. The clinic has an ortho guy that handles them.
There is some pain, of course, when the injection is done. I've learned to practice controlled breathing and exhale when the shot is given which reduces the pain greatly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2015 02:08PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: joan99 ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 07:31PM

I've had a couple of them in my shoulder and one in my foot. They do work.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 07:38PM

One in each knee. Hurt like heck. One helped a tiny bit, the other knee actually got worse for a couple of weeks. I won't try that again.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 28, 2015 02:28AM

Injections in my low back didn't do ANYTHING.

An injection into my shoulder made an immediate and almost unbelievable improvement.

You don't know until you try it.

Good luck!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.