Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: peaceinfreedom ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 11:07PM

Having a better day so far and trying to keep myself busy, went over to my TBM parent's house to get some tools for hanging curtains. They have mail for me and apparently my previous ward bishop (before I left) sends me a letter. I'm not looking forward to opening it because he's probably heard the news I'm gone and is very TBM, but is really nice and was kind to me. Anyways luckily it was just an end of the year tithing settlement paper (lol of which I never went) but as I'm reading it (happy that I barely gave much), I notice it says the following....

This statement contains a record of VOLUNTARY CONTRIBUTIONS to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints made by the above named donor(s) during the year 2014. The Church provided NO GOODS OR SERVICES in consideration, in WHOLE or PART, for the contributions detailed below; but only INTANGIBLE RELIGIOUS BENEFITS."

Fuck them. So during the entire year, my tithing did nothing, but help with benefits that aren't even tangible? What the hell does that mean?

According to the IRS, Intangible Religious Benefits means the following...

"Intangible Religious Benefits Exception — If a religious
organization provides only “intangible religious benefits” to
a contributor, the acknowledgment does not need to describe
or value those benefits. It can simply state that the organization provided intangible religious benefits to the contributor."

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1771.pdf

This church bugs me. No real benefit outside, we allow you to come to church. OH but you pretty much pay for it, oh and you clean the toilets, oh and you pay for your own missions, and temple clothing, and scriptures, and used to pay for meeting houses, temples, and so on, but hell, still donate VOLUNTARILY 10% of whatever income you have....

Urg.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 11:09PM

but they want your tangible money,

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 11:40PM

If you purchase a tangible item for charity, such as Girl Scout cookies, you are only allowed to claim the amount of the purchase above the fair market value of the item as a tax deduction. "Intangible religious benefits" is a way of saying there is no fair market value without saying "nothing" which just sounds negative.

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 11:44PM

I think that "intangible religious benefits" statement on the settlement report is an IRS requirement. It allows you to itemize your tithing etc. as a charitable deduction.

If it were not on the statement, the IRS would likely disallow it on the grounds that a *tangible* benefit would qualify as a purchase of goods (non-deductible) instead of a charitable contribution.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 12:14AM

Mormonism itself is intangible, ambiguous, wishy washy and undescribeable... not to mention unfaithful (and immoral), two-faced and un-brotherly.

It is like being held up: they mainly only want your money. This caveat is simply their way of compliance.

It can dish it out but it can't take it.

Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 05:40AM

What if an inactive parent back paid a year's tithing to get a temple recommend to see a child's wedding? I think that would be payment for a service. The fair market value of a ridiculous temple wedding would probably be zero so the full amount would still be deductible.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.