Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sb ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 11:01PM

I had a conversation with a TBM friend recently. The conversation took the expected turn toward the testimony corner.

His thought-ending platitude was this:
It’s true, no matter what.

I laughed and restated his position (and added to it here):

It’s true, if you change history.

It’s true if you ignore the timeline.
The DNA

It’s true, if you ignore Native American culture.

It’s true of you look the other way on the POGP

Or the polygamy…or the Kinderhook plates.

It’s true if you assume facts are conspiracies. If you think Satan set up BY to lie so people would doubt.

Its true of you ignore blood atonement.

It’s true if you are willing to believe that what happens in your imagination is fact.

It is totally true of you feel like Monson speak to God but is unable to clarify doctrine, prophesy or explain how he lives in a penthouse.

Its’ true, if God is all about contradiction and changing his mind…while being never changing.

It is totally true as long as you never read what the masons do in their temple.

It is true as long as you avoid Wikipedia, because education, science, logic and facts are tools of the devil.

If you don’t do the finances in your head… or if you don’t run into them on first class, flying to El Salvador to demand tithing.

It is true if you don’t understand how the church does not follow the BOM or the original church.

It is it true if you don’t understand the transition of power to BY.

It is true if it makes you feel good.

It’s true if you don’t remember the Hoffman affair or the other many recent events that make it obvious that it’s a lie.

It is true, if you only remember the blessings that worked, or the promises that worked out.

It is true if you are ok with racism, sexism and every other type pf civil discrimination that somehow gets denied as ever happening.

It is true if you remember the leader’s courage from the pulpit, but ignore the cowardice in taking a stance on gays, or immigrants, the economy or the war.

It is ok if God changed his mind and his teachings to a point where he wants his church to be unrecognizable to Christians.

It is true! If you are willing to stand here and lie to my face and go home and lie to yourself and to everyone you ever meet, becuase the lies are easier that having to find answers yourself.

It’s true, IF you ignore the truth.

So please don’t call it “truth” as a way to end an argument in which you are desperately trying to avoid discussing the truth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moose ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 11:09PM

Is that all you've got?

*grin*

Nice post!!!

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 11:11PM

If I say stuff like that to my TBM friend, she says, "That's your truth. It's not mine." End of subject.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 11:19PM

Using that line is so cowardly and ignorant. The whole idea of what the word truth means precludes there being various versions of it.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 02:23AM

I agree with blueorchid, of course... especially since her truth precludes everyone elses.

Posted by: sb ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 06:46PM

there is a clarification to be made when people say this:

So there are mutiple and opposing truths?...becuase you are confusing personal beliefs with truth, truth is unmovable, factual, unafraid, willing to explain itself, what you are saying is the oppisite.

In your statment, the muslim faith is the true church, so is scientology....But unfortunayrely finding purpose and direction from a church does not make its lies true.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2015 06:47PM by sb.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 11:15PM

That was truly full of truth sb. So well stated. Bravo.

Posted by: anontoday ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 11:42PM

+100

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 11:23PM

The problem is that even though we speak the truth, the TBMs don't regard it as such. They figure that we're confused and don't know what we're talking about. We've got anti-Mormon lies swimming around in our heads and have completely forgotten everything that we were taught, so what we say can simply be dismissed. They're not worried about it.

That's exactly how I felt about it when I was still TBM.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 11:30PM

You should bear your testimony of Middle Earth and drop some quotes like "Oliver Cowdry, a prophet is never late. He arrives exactly when he means to arrive".

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.