Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 06:18PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2DIrGL5qfY

I always thought this place was way too poor to give any of their income to receive Heavenly Father's blessings. How can they trust an American-based church? Wasn't this where Nixon stuck his fat nose and our boys paid an awful price?

Anyway, doesn't anyone think his surname is funny?
"The Faithful and Discreet Slavens".
I'd like to see his nametag, but with the letters NS blotted out.
And on top of that, his given name is Dallin; don't only super-duper-TBMs give their sons that name?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: flyindoc ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 09:03PM

A kid from my old ward nearly died in Cambodia in 2006-7. He developed/caught a disease that caused near total liver failure. Local docs wanted to take out his gallbladder. He was returned home, admitted to one of the city's academic teaching hospitals with a Tropical Medicine subspeciality within the Infectious Disease department. After a month of hospitalization, he partially recovered. His parents are TBM but more on the liberal side. I should probably seek them out and share thoughts on the essays.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 10:05PM

They're baptizing up a storm there, per the missionaries who post their blogs at

http://preparetoserve.com/cambodia/lds-mission-blogs/

They even have a lot of Cambodian natives serving in the field. Although one young lady opined that the natives drop out of activity after their missions at an astronomical rate.

From the three I looked it, it's business as usual: bunches of mini-miracles and tender mercies and ghawd helping them hold on to their car keys.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 10:48PM

The Killing Field for a mission field?

Them Khmers oughtta make dandy priesthood holders good enough to rival any Tongan gangstas.

Posted by: johnnydingo ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 12:31AM

Yep. I served there from 2000 to 2002. Created from the Bangkok Thailand mission in the mid to late 90s. I can confirm the Kukuchi level of baptisms. I netted over 100 myself. Retention is horrid though. promises of free education at byu Hawaii and an all expense paid two year mission netting 80 dollars every two weeks (more than most see in six months). Not a bad reason for youngsters to join up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2015 12:35AM by johnnydingo.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 01:23AM

johnnydingo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yep. I served there from 2000 to 2002.

> netting 80 dollars every two weeks (more than most
> see in six months). Not a bad reason for
> youngsters to join up.

Well that certainly explains the current missionary's comments about they very high rate of inactivity among the native missionaries! No pay no play!

I bet it's the same in Africa.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 27, 2015 06:15AM

I had to go there for a month on business. I thought it was a great experience. I was still active LDS, and went to church 3 times. They had I think 5 Khmer speaking branches and 2 or 3 Vietnamese speaking.

The mission president had me over and he said that the missionaries had to be in by 6 because the women were too good-looking and too much of a temptation. He got that part right, but seriously, 6pm? In order to teach a female they had to take a senior couple or soemthing similar.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.