Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 05:11PM

My new found cousin started me on a quest of how we're related; well seems we are. except now I found where my great (9) grandfather was born 2 years after the death of his father???

It is a true history of family, but I think it might have been the brother of the person who died. How do you fix it on the church record side (familysearch.org)??? Any way it goes back to the Virginia House of Burgess. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Burgesses
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_members_of_the_Virginia_House_of_Burgesses#H

I guess, I shouldn't worry about it except the person who had their temple work for them wasn't related to me, yet his brother's probably hasn't been done because he's not listed as the father.

Dang it,! I'm sealed to the wrong line....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moose ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 05:25PM

It's an imaginary "sealing". No worries!

*grin*

In any case, I still think we're related. There are a few things I would have to prove in my line back to Randall Holt, but it still looks solid back to him. His parents are another matter. If you look at the dates of their birth and marriage, they would have been way too old for Randall to have been their son! Maybe a great aunt and uncle or grandparents, maybe.

Anyway, I am no longer pressed by the need to do my genealogy for TSCC. I do some because I am genuinely interested in my ancestry.

Thanks for sharing your information! I look forward to getting better acquainted, cousin!

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 05:43PM

Well, see what happens. All this genealogy was done about 50 years ago; then maybe that one aunt or cousin is supposed to still be doing it for the whole family.

Then when you look at it... you find the errors. In the genealogist's defense the time period was the 16th early 17th century and by that time, they're just researching by surnames.

Posted by: SoCalNevermo ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 05:33PM

Here in So. Calif. we have been seeing TV spots begging "support" for the Huntsman Cancer which claims to have the largest genealogical database in the world. Do you suppose that John Huntsman compiled it himself or is there a chance he might be using the Mo database?

Date: January 26, 2015 05:36PM

I had no idea! Good question.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 05:41PM

This is Huntsman Cancer Institute University of Utah Health Care

http://healthcare.utah.edu/huntsmancancerinstitute/giving/huntsman-cancer-foundation/
There might be some info on here about their DNA research.

Date: January 26, 2015 06:02PM

Looks like this is what is being referred to:

http://healthcare.utah.edu/huntsmancancerinstitute/research/updb/

"The Utah Population Database (UPDB) at the University of Utah is one of the world’s richest sources of in-depth information that supports research on genetics, epidemiology, demography, and public health. For more than 30 years, researchers at the University of Utah and other institutions have used UPDB to identify and study individuals and families that have higher than normal incidence of cancer or other diseases, to analyze patterns of genetic inheritance, and to identify specific genetic mutations. In addition, demographic studies have shown trends in fertility transition and changes in mortality patterns for both infants and adults.

The UPDB is the only database of its kind in the United States and one of few such resources in the world. The central component of the UPDB is an extensive set of Utah family histories, in which family members are linked to demographic and medical information. The UPDB includes diagnostic records about cancer, cause of death, and medical details associated with births. It also includes claims data from statewide inpatient hospital discharge records as well as ambulatory surgery records from hospital outpatient departments and ambulatory surgery centers. The UPDB provides access to information on more than 7.3 million individuals and supports over 100 research projects. This information can only be used for biomedical and health-related research; the privacy of individuals represented in these records and confidentiality of the data is strictly protected.

Support for the UPDB is provided by the Pedigree and Population Resource (PPR), which is directed by Ken R. Smith, PhD. The Utah Resource for Genetic and Epidemiologic Research (RGE) and an Institutional Review Board (IRB) administer access to files through a review process. PPR is supported by Huntsman Cancer Institute as well as the University of Utah. RGE and the IRB are administered through the Office of the Vice President for Research at the University of Utah."

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 06:07PM

Well pardon me folks but I gotta pounce in here and follow up on the Huntsman hijack.

Who can forget how rich man's guilt drove Rockefeller, Carnegie and their ilk to give away gazillions in todays money before they croaked?

Old man H amassed an empire selling cancer to the public by way of clever little chemical clamshells and coffee cups full of mikeydoodoo.

Conscience came out after a big C scare, did it you old mormon hypocrite?

Posted by: ultra ( )
Date: January 26, 2015 06:10PM

I was doing some digging in my genealogy and saw how one grandma was the wife of 2 brothers and I came through both of the descendents, kind of an inbreeding thing going on. Actually looking at the dates it looked like an affair going on. Grandma got around though. This wasn't a polygamy thing either, before that.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.